A game

I put about 10 hours of effort into the project during the last week. Thats a lot of hours for a side-project. I dont always work this much but when I do I usually slack afterwards. I implemented much of the clothing & armor subsystem; however it is still unfinished. Meanwhile I realized just how terrible the project is because of how little gameplay it offers. However I don’t plan to stop the development yet… In any case, it is too late to change the core idea.

These features go into new release:
[] Qeust: Rescue a person, possibly other types of quest if I implement them
[
] Clothing:…
[] New status UI
[
] rebalancing and other minor features

to gamerjohn1991: if u want to help me with this but then send me ur in-game user name in a private message.
Whoever else wants to report a bug, send me a private message. However be prepared to cooperate because I might have to ask u to open browser dev console or maybe check something else I dunno

I should probably re-read all ideas posted by ppl in this thread; maybe there is something useful I didn’t notice before

what’s up
I moved instance 0004 to my new quad-core server however the app crashes when it attempts to save data. Probably because it has not enough RAM. However I don’t want to move it back to old server sry; so I had to disable it. I will soon start a new instance. But first I have to redesign data storage code. Anyway instance 0004 worked for about 3 months so I think that everyone who wanted to try using it they had their chance and ur probably bored from it so I think instance 0004 won’t be missed

feel free to complain

how do I play this? I don’t see a link

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting project! I found a post that used to have a link to the game… But the link doesn’t work for me. Maybe the project got shelved? I hope not!

Here’s the post, by the way~

Unfortunately it was discontinued. The game relied on a live server, and could not be downloaded / played locally.

It was an interesting sort of “idle gamer/tamagotchi” formula where the you scheduled tasks, and the character automatically ate, traveled, and went on battle quests, found loot, etc. It was in a pseudo-real time pace, which meant a lot of “set it and forget it” action.

1 Like

The project is retired. However I decided to post source code in case someone wants to take a look or run it. Though who am I kidding, nobody needs this sh*t.

Anyway here is the full source code for the project
Server code is in src/ho
Browser-side code is in src/javascript and src/page
ho1215-export.zip (557.9 KB)

I deleted repo history because it had my name and also some possibly sensitive files
The version which I used in production used huge .json file for storage. However I later decided to use boltdb for storage. At the time when I abandoned the project, the db stuff was still in work-in-progress so it might be a bit buggy. I tested this sh*t before posting it and what can I say, well at least it started and displayed the webUI… Didn’t test it further. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
How to run: setup golang, set gopath to project dir, run build-and-run.bat → it’s available on localhost:9001/meadowie (startup takes some time, no idea what it’s doing for so long lol)
To run on Linux u need basicly nothing, only build and start app as a service
F

unknown

1 Like

i would like to play this but i can gt it to run

Install https://golang.org this programming language.
SettingGOPATH · golang/go Wiki · GitHub describes how to change your gopath, basically the path that language runs it’s programs from. Then run the build-and-run.bat. Now you have the server running. To play just type localhost:9001/meadowie into any browser.

Uh… Where in the directory am I meant to set up the GOPATH? I set it in the downloaded file, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

The file is a .zip archive, so you need to extract it and set the directory to the folder containing the .bat files. If you don’t rename anything it should be the default folder, “ho1215-export”.

I’ve hosted the game at Meadowie. I don’t guarantee any maintenance / improvements, but it’ll be significantly simpler than trying to set it up yourself.

5 Likes

Yeah… I set the GOPATH to the folder, the build and run didn’t work.

Some minor downtime occurred due to a bug in the item array reader with regard to clothing items. It has since been fixed.

For this and any further changes, I’ve hosted the source as a git repo at https://darkenluster.space/dj_sharp-idle-text-game.git/.

1 Like

Thanks for running the server Darken_Luster, I dont know if you do any coding but the clothing doesn’t seem to do anything when I order something, just sell or discard. Thoughts?

1 Like

Yes, I believe that this was an incomplete feature. There were many changes I had to make to get it to even deliver without crashing the server. I don’t plan to fix anything besides bugs on this project, so it will probably never change from that unless someone else contributes it.

Many thanks, was just curious really as I tend to check up on it and leave it running though im only at like 84.4 in weight right now haha

thanks a bundle!!!

I am still very confused on how to play the game and such, could someone please explain to how to do it.

It is very much like an idle game, its just slow, you buy food and explore dungeons when you queue them up to complete quests which you can do constantly. It is very hard to run out of money and honestly there isnt any reason to buy cloths. If you want to gain weight you change your eating habits via the (M) button in the top right corner and going to controls. Then you just let your character play as there weight slowly goes up. Of course the amount you gain is very small and goes up by .090 per minute where as if your starving you lose about .58 per minute so you drop weight really quickly. Thats the only bad pat but it makes the game more realistic in a way. I wish the game was still in development and I would do work on it myself if I knew how to code.

Sorry for the long reply but it answers a little bit about the game~

Besides this, as long as Darken_Luster has the server up the game plays itself and you get to observe, kinda like a tamagachi sorta…if you know what that is. Thanks again to @Darken_Luster as always for hosting the server!

3 Likes

Thank you, but I was asking for help to actually run the game like what I need to download and what I have to do with the game file, etc. Im sorry if my question sounds confusing, Im not great at describing things