A Hero's Retirement 1.1: A New Look

All right, @ohlardshecomin , try replacing your old Map029 in the Data folder with this one. Talk to the eyepatch guy near the dock; every time you talk to him, it SHOULD reset the boat location to its original spot at the end of the dock. Sorry for the delayed response, let me know if this works.

Thanks a lot for the tip, @Grimimic !

3 Likes

Thanks, but an error popped up saying img/characters/Actor2.png failed to load

Crud. I’ll keep looking into it.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, work’s been a beast.
But I THINK I found how the issue cropped up:

So,I half-assed creating the new boat guy with a stock character I never used before. But when I exported the game a while back, I selected the option to discard unused files to save space. Which means that the new map I gave you keeps trying to find an image file which isn’t there.

So! If you download this file:

and paste it in the img/characters folder, then download THIS file:

and paste it into the img/faces folder, that SHOULD fix things. IN THEORY.

I’m kind of a beginner at this stuff, but if I’m understanding things correctly, all you need is the proper images the game is looking for (a sprite and a face when you talk to the boat guy) in the proper folder. Honestly, you could probably create any image yourself, name it Actor2.png, paste it in the folders I named, and that would probably be enough for the game to run.

Again, sorry about the delay, let me know if you still have problems after this, and I’ll keep tinkering for as long as it takes.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll test it out tomorrow

It worked, thank you so much, now to finally finish the game

1 Like

I’ve just hit the carrot farming simulator.

First off, prime fucking content, without the shadow of a doubt this is some of the best videogame writing I’ve ever seen. “No fat chicks this way, i checked”, hands down the greatest line in all modern media.

I’ll take 4

What psychopath made this basement

edit:
Finished the game, absolutely brilliant, honestly, the fetish stuff was a bit lacking but the superb game made up for it in spades.

I’m not skilled at making fetish stuff and the puzzles were very much a case of throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck, so I’m always glad to hear when someone enjoys the writing.

1 Like

Finished it, I really like the plots and characters

Thanks for bearing with all the bugs.

1 Like

No prob, juat glad the fixes were found so the ending can be achieved

this main character just like me fr

3 Likes

That’s awesome. He’s the kind of guy I aspire to be.

Knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to pursue it regardless of what the world thinks of him, but also a chill, easygoing guy.

2 Likes

he’s SOOOOO REAL!!!

2 Likes

This was an absolute gem. Loved the mini games too, they were fun. Heads however, if you try to go back to the fancy inn with the disguise again, you cannot open the door and get soft-locked in the room. That was the only glitch I found. If this was your first game, consider it a success! Kudos

Thanks a lot! Been awhile since I dug out the game, so I’m glad to hear people are still playing it.

3 Likes

So, I played the game, and to be honest with you, I liked it very much. I liked the style of play and the simple explanation and the simple and interesting story. It took me to finish everything in a game for an hour. The character I liked most is Opheliah i hope with all my heart that you will continue to update the game from period to period because it was a fun and interesting experience I give the game 10 and good luck my friend

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the game!

It’s pretty much in its finished state now, though, and if I do a sequel or new game or whatever, it probably won’t be for awhile.

This game, my first ever, was always meant to be a very small, self-contained story that didn’t take very long to complete; I was afraid of getting too ambitious and focused mainly on learning the ins and outs of creating something. I learned a lot, but found myself wishing my art skills were more advanced so I could offer a more engaging experience than what’s pre-packaged with RPG Maker.

So, I’m focusing on improving my art skills now, and hopefully I’ll be able to apply them to a bigger game sometime in the future.

7 Likes

If this is your beginning, take it from me, you can do it I trust you, and I wish you success in your next project.