A Sci-Fi Inflation RPG

Story: You are the one of the last remaining members of an alien race from the planet Neptune (the planet that two anime characters, a Sailor Scout and a CPU, are named after), which has become desolate not just because of the cold winds, but also the lack of resources. Your kind would always inflate and deflate like balloons for whatever reasons possibe. However, you come across Earth’s gravitational pull, which is too much for your starship (which is shaped like a toy balloon) to handle before crash-landing somewhere in the outskirts of a place called Japan. There, you meet a female otaku who has daydreams of her favorite anime females blown up like balloons. However, a group of bounty hunters hailing from Mars known as the Needlers are attempting to take you in to finish their quest to make your kind extinct. It’s up to you and a quirky cast of colorful oddball characters to puff up and fight back against the Needlers and eventually have your race repopulate on Earth.

Gameplay: The gameplay is the same as a standard RPG Maker game, from menus to battles. Your ultimate goal is to defeat King Poppon, the leader of the Needlers, and stop his invasions on Earth. Think of it as a cross between EarthBound, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon (the latter of which was the inspiration for most of the items and all the status ailments seen below).

Characters (those with an asterisk are optional):
Balloona - The main protagonist, and one of the last of her kind.
Ami - A blonde-haired otaku from Japan who loves to see her favorite anime characters inflated.
Helena - A girl from Brazil who wishes to be an inflation animator.
Blake - A girl from Africa who’s been spending too much time playing as Dhalsim in Street Fighter II.
Charlotte - A seductive woman from France who’s been wanting to create a special inflation-inducing chemical for a brand of non-addictive cigarettes.
Tiffany - A redhead from San Francisco who loves watching cartoons.
Jamie - A girl from Sydney who is intrigued by pufferfish and how they inflate their bodies.
Miko* - A girl who resides solely in Antarctica, studying the seals and walruses.

Items (there’s more in the game, though):
Blueberry - Restores 20 HP.
Big Blueberry - Restores 50 HP.
Huge Blueberry - Restores 200 HP.
Giant Blueberry - Restores all HP.
Cherry Gum - Raises HP stat.
Orange Gum - Raises Attack stat.
Lemon Gum - Raises Defense stat.
Lime Gum - Raises Skill stat.
Wildberry Gum - Raises Evasion stat.
Blueberry Gum - Raises Speed stat.
Grape Gum - Lowers the Skill Point cost of a specific attack.
Toy Balloon - Allows you to escape a cave, dungeon, etc.
Air Pump - Use as many times as you want.
Magic Wand - Revives a fallen ally.
Max Magic Wand - Revives a fallen ally with maximum HP.
SP Magic Wand - Revives all fallen allies with maximum HP.
Decoy Balloon - Allows you to flee from one enemy battle.
Giant Balloon - Levels up the selected character.
Burrito - Repels enemies for 100 steps.
Spicy Burrito - Repels enemies for 200 steps.
Volcano Burrito - Repels enemies for 500 steps.
Blaze Ball - Powers up a selected Flame-element attack.
Aqua Ball - Powers up a selected Sea-element attack.
Lightning Ball - Powers up a selected Thunder-element attack.
Forest Ball - Powers up a selected Nature-element attack.
Planet Ball - Powers up a selected Cosmic-element attack.
Patch - Protects an inflated ally from being punctured.

Status Ailments:
Fully-Deflated - The affected character has no HP, and can’t battle unless revived.
Punctured - The affected character deflates, draining their HP every turn or every 5 steps in the overworld.
Sprung a Leak - The affected character deflates, draining their HP every turn and lowering their in-battle Attack stat.
Stiffened - The character’s body is immobilized, preventing them from moving for 2-5 turns.
Drowsy - The character falls asleep, preventing them from moving for 2-5 turns.
Hiccups - The character catches the hiccups, with a one-in-four chance of preventing them from moving and lowering their in-battle Speed stat.
Embarrassed - The character is humiliated, with a one-in-four chance of attacking themselves or their allies for 2-5 turns.

3 Likes

Well the concept certainly sounds interesting.

But, here’s the thing: I’m no good at making custom RPG Maker sprites (especially inflation sprites), and the only computer I’m using may or may not support Steam (meaning that I can’t possibly download RPG Maker VX Ace Lite for it).

But, here’s the thing: I’m no good at making custom RPG Maker sprites (especially inflation sprites), and the only computer I’m using may or may not support Steam (meaning that I can’t possibly download RPG Maker VX Ace Lite for it).[/quote]

Try download.cnet if you trust them.

There’s another problem, though:

1. When trying to edit sprites with transparent backgrounds on the computer I’m currently using, the edges of the sprites look smeared.
  2. I don’t have the money, and neither does my father, to afford Adobe Photoshop.
  3. GIMP2 does NOT work on the computer I’m using, as it gives me an error message when I try to either install it or boot it up.

Use Paint .Net with anti-aliasing turned off? or graphics gale or something. They even have phone apps for sprite making now.

I just downloaded Paint.NET v3.0, since I’m using an older Windows computer, but I can’t find the anti-aliasing option.

GIMP 2???

Mate, you don’t even need to install it, depending on the distribution. GIMP Portable (image editor) | PortableApps.com

I downloaded Paint.NET v3.0 for Windows XP, and all I need now is some inflation templates for RPG Maker VX Lite.