A witch's crystal - Xane's last minute submission

Patch is up. Let’s hope that it’s the last one. The link is the same as the other one.

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 10000 |

| Art: | 70 |

| Writing: | 100 |

| Concept/Design | 275 |

| Msc: | 75 |

| Total: | 10595 |

Comments:

While I like seeing more people trying to make fetish strategy games I have to say I am not sure quite where I stand on this one. The concept its self is quite shallow especially compared to a game like Monjoshi Conquest which could be argued makes better use of the fetish mechanically where in this game its just a simple level up device like rare candy from Pokemon. Along with that, the game is quite difficult for people who do not have much exposure to Fire Emblem, like myself. It took me several tries just to not loose my first fight. I would love to see this concept more further developed though.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 86 |

| Writing: | 105 |

| Concept/Design | 470 |

| Msc: | 14 |

| Total: | 10784 |

Comments:

I don’t normally justify scores in the comments but I will in this case. 1: The game crashes whenever the dragon riders arrive. based on how the rules are described, in my judgment the entry does not meet the ‘game runs’ category. 2: In my judgment the game doesn’t follow the themes. It’s a very tough call, but my guiding principle is “If you removed the mechanic, would the game play significantly differently.” And in my experience and opinion it doesn’t. You get food, sure, and you can eat the food. But all it does is give minor stat bonuses and maybe a minor skill buff. The effects and mechanics are present, but they don’t affect gameplay nearly enough in my judgment. Part of my judgment relies on the difficulty. The enemies are numerous, and powerful and it feels like one wrong move leads to a game over. I know this because I got a lot of game overs from one wrong mood. Enemies justifiably rush for your squishy characters, but there is otherwise no way to protect them besides just keeping them out of range. I don’t want to harp about things that are maybe coming from the main fire emblem games, but the combination of difficulty and minimal impact of the weight mechanics is what drives my judgement. Besides that, I do want to see more strategy games in our niche. It seems like it could be an interesting project with some more work!

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 70 |

| Writing: | 75 |

| Concept/Design | 325 |

| Msc: | 35 |

| Total: | 10570 |

Comments:

First thing is that the game is extremely punishing, and thus makes it a slog to get through. One normal enemy, in which there are 20+ of, can easily kill a character in one turn. And its not like I can protect weaker characters, since the enemies can just go around or attack through the stronger characters, so I didn’t find this to be a particularly enjoyable experience when my entire party dies like 4 turns in, with very little to show for it. The controls were also frustrating as ESC closes the game instead of backing out of menus. This is setting aside the fact that the game crashes when the demons spawn in, effectively putting you on a nigh impossible time limit. Beyond this, the fetish elements and actual use of the theme were so light as to be nearly non-existant. Overally, the game is technically impressive (save for the crash), and a good emulation of the Fire Emblem style, but its use of the fetish/theme needed to be stronger than just food giving you higher stats.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 30 |

| Writing: | 50 |

| Concept/Design | 280 |

| Msc: | 10 |

| Total: | 370 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 140 |

| Writing: | 140 |

| Concept/Design | 320 |

| Msc: | 40 |

| Total: | 10740 |

Comments:

As someone who isn’t well experienced with this type of game, there was a bit of a steep learning curve but the dialogue was helpful in suggesting what to do. Once figured out, the combat is a pretty solid experience. The weight increasing level and skill was a good use of the theme, it would have been nice to have some visual representation of that. All in all, a decent submission, hope to see more from you in the future!

Scores

Art: 396

Writing: 470

Sound: 349

Design: 1670

Total: 53059

1 Like