Anna pt. 1: A Summer Abroad (minor edits in anticipation of...)

This is a is a college WG interactive story on Twine, with a similar theme to Kate’s Uni days, Sarah goes to college, etc.

I have made a few minor edits, partly in anticipation of a sequel that I am currently working on.

Here’s the link: Anna pt. 1: A Summer Abroad by anonymous_loverboy

Twine has flagged the game for suspicious activity for some reason, but all you have to do to get past that is click, “I understand the risks, take me to download anyway” or something.

This game only covers six weeks. There’s no magic or intentional weight gain, so the gain is slight, even in the most fattening paths. But note that the character downplays this a little, in part because the kilogram-pound difference makes her underestimate how much she’s gained.

The sequel will cover her whole sophomore year. I’ve been working on it pretty steadily, but it’s probably gonna be a few more months before it is released (the release will be in a separate post).

16 Likes

Nice linear-style story! I thought breaking it up into segments that you click to proceed through was smart. Big paragraphs all at once tend to make people skim.

Like you said, it’s different from the gamebook point-and-click adventure style that Quest users normally produce. With that comes its own set of challenges; I think it’s harder to write as long of a game without the minutiae of player involvement (searching rooms, interacting with objects, etc). But it sets itself apart because of that.

I hope you continue it and expand on what worked in this little demo!

1 Like

Shame we’re reliant on Lester bc I didn’t particularly want to pick him (I prefer women) but this seems like the start to a fun game.

4 Likes

fun to play cant wait for more :slight_smile: and if you need any 1 to bounce ideas off or want suggestions send me a message and ill gladly help

2 Likes

Cant wait to play more

1 Like

Thanks you for your generous feedback! Yeah, I’m considering changing converting it to twine, or possibly figuring out my way around Quest.

1 Like

I found it endearing the way you bent Quest away from its maze-like point-and-click gameplay. Although Twine will service you better in the long run!

Not that there’s anything wrong with Quest if it’s within scope of what you want to do (and there’s theoretically a higher skill ceiling than most people observe if you’re good at coding), but Twine is beautifully straightforward for these kinds of milestone & choice-based stories. Meanwhile, Quest kind of fights you past a certain point. And there’s a richer amount of personalization and control over the way you want players to experience your narrative in Twine. I think it’ll translate well.

3 Likes

the link isnt working

not only does this link not work, it couldn’t work, this link refers to a local file on your own computer that is thusly not on the internet at all.

Link: file:///Applications/Anna_s%20summer%20abroad%202.html
(Lmk if it doesn’t work, I couldn’t tell for sure)

I am currently working on creating a public link. I will leave another reply when I figure it out.

1 Like

If it’s on Quest, you can publish the game on TextAdventures and share the link here. If you’ve moved to twine, I recommend uploading to MEGA and MediaFire and sharing that link.

3 Likes

NEW VERSION NOW AVAILABLE (let me know if you have any trouble with the link).

If you played the old version, this one is pretty different, as the post says: it has been converted to Twine, and now feels a little more complete, with more options and paths, although it covers the same amount of time.

3 Likes

itch.io is reporting something about suspicious behavior with the account, preventing download

edit, nvm i’m stupid, there’s an option to continue by acknowledging the risks

1 Like

Is the download block hard to defeat? Or is it pretty straightforward? Just asking to see if I should add instructions on how to overcome it

Fun little game, left me wanting more

2 Likes

I have made a few MINOR edits to the story, mostly in anticipation of an upcoming sequel, which will cover sophomore year.
As it says in the post, the game is flagged for suspicious activity, but all you have to do is click “I understand the risks, take me to downloads” at the bottom of the warning page, and you’ll be able to download it.

5 Likes