Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

No worries homie, take all the time you need

2 Likes

I have a theory way out there: Is Violet going to become the apostle of Wrath?

3 Likes

While i don’t think so, i think she does have the capability to. I think the reason why Violet hasn’t been fed or has gained weight yet is that Gretel, thanks to some of the lore suggesting on how long Gretel has been alive for, how powerful she is magically and how magic works in this world, I think Violet is being prepared for gretel to jump into and take over Violet’s body to either maintain her power or to increase her magical capability. Unless there is some revelation on how Apostles work, I doubt being an Apostle would make the human (looking) Gretel live as long as Sebastian the Elf.

4 Likes

That certainly would be interesting especially since Violet’s magic capacity is super high (and she isn’t even a classically trained mage.) It’s part of the reason I think shes gonna be whisked away by Ira. Another, admittedly shoddy, reason I believe she’s gonna become an apostle is due to her nickname Violet the violent, when put together you get VV. Her willpower is also super high. She’s being put through ‘I have no mouth and must scream’ tier torture for what must feel like years and she still hasn’t been broken, rather it seems she’s even more angry than the start.

before.

4 Likes

That definitely is an interesting theory and one I enjoy thinking on, I still prefer mine however since I just don’t know why Gretel is preserving Violet’s figure and not feeding her relentlessly if not to prepare her for a body jump, since my original theory of her shadow room being to break her as she got fatter since she couldn’t fight as well as she once did, and when your entire personality is based on violence, how can that not break you.

3 Likes

That’s a super interesting theory! So like Sebastian mentioned that there are other beings more powerful them themselves in the world, and this has been hinted at for the war and those who wish to continue it’s proliferation for their own gain. So are you saying that the evolution of the “faith” will comprise of each sin archype still being under the banner of gluttony overall? Like Lily occupies the lustful avenue of gluttony (seeking the carnal expansion of flesh for sexual gratitude), Sebas is definitely the slothful side (the lethargy of largeness causing atrophy over time), Gretel is just like consumption lol?? (It feels like her goal is just to make everyone into a chunky feed-bag tbh), and then Violet? Would she occupy a role were she would wear down a person’s will-power and get them submit to the process of getting fat? Like run down the a prey item, or maybe she’d be made an example of those who try to resist? Or maybe she’d be broken down into a devoutee of the cause? Im definitely speculating but its fun to toy with her. If I’m way off from your interpretation, I’d love to know how you see her functionally occupying the role of Gluttony’ Wrath.

3 Likes

Close, but I imagine that in this scenario Violet would take the role of an obstacle for the gang as opposed to an ally. Imagine that Gretal has a particularly brutal torture session and Violet wakes up in some mysterious void and meets someone who offers her power, the opportunity to escape the pocket dimension, and revenge against the trio in exchange she has to become their apostle and cause chaos in the material world, generating wrath energy like the trio generate glutton energy. Maybe she would use her newfound wrath powers to help the rebels (there the ones losing right?) and elongate the war causing more bloodshed. I think Violet escaping would be quite apt too given the parallel between her climbing the stairs and Gretal throwing her rock until it doesn’t come down, I wonder how she would take if someone else did the impossible while she can’t.

2 Likes

!!! That’s super cool as an idea, like if that happens then maybe an arms race would break out between the sins, causing a faction? Like first group to amass X amount of power will ultimately be able to keep ownership over the region? Also Gretel in the past spoilers ahead

She was able to be defeated so maybe if she amassed enough power she’d be unstoppable this time around, given her sentience/cognitive empathy. What do you think of this idea?

3 Likes

Since greed is already accounted for, and doesn’t really doesn’t seem interested in infernal infighting, I guess the only vices left would be envy and pride, I wonder whos side they would be on.

Personally I don’t think Gretal wants power actually I think the one that wants Gretal to be powerful is Sebastian their whole plan revolves around fatten up villages, which in turn makes her more powerful. I think Gretal genuinely believes what shes doing is an act of redemption for her past wrongs, and was convinced of this by Sebastian so she helps him, he was super distressed when she questioned the point of their mission. I think Sebastian is using Gretal as a tool to reach some end goal I don’t know if he’s super evil, if you squint he kinda looks like Griffith I guess, but I would say he’s definitely ruthless. Im sure he would rather fatten up villages but if killing them would get him to his end goal faster I’m sure he would do it in a heartbeat. If anything He kinda reminds me of the Anak from TLS, guy playing 20D chess with a mysterious endgame.

3 Likes

Me and the gang talking about the plot of Apostles:

charlie day

16 Likes

I think Sebastians’ goal is to cure death by any means necessary. he was clearly traumatized by his encounter with the pit and the thought of returning to it is hard to cope with. Part of why he hates Jean-Luc is that he is envious of the fact that he is the only being that will never have to experience death.

5 Likes

How does amassing a bunch of gluttony points stave off death? Like, if death has a tangible figure in universe, is the goal to become so powerful your able to bend the nature of the universe around your will and rewrite the rules?

4 Likes

Fair, I tried Googling the reference given but could’nt find anything sorry. However, your point about him becoming distressed surrounding her waivering faith is interesting especially after he almost alt deletes trying to get her back on track. Do you think that he really could be evil or is it a perspective thing? Like if his actions weren’t related to gluttony and he just straight up harvested people into like, the dream, their “innocent” or “evil” merits not factoring, but it prevented deaths, would it be an evil act? Like the people might be in a state of altered consciousness that could be construed as them “dying” but avoiding the fate of the pit. How would you judge his actions if this was an avenue for his motivations?

1 Like

dumb meme

15 Likes

I love that when a game is this good , people start making theories and speculate together.

8 Likes

I love Sebastian, absolutely my favorite type of character that cunning genius who’s 10 steps ahead of everyone. I can’t wait to see what comes out of his chess scene because I think whoever it is he’s playing with will be the crux of his story. Also Gretal is great too love how her story is coming along. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

I agree with that, imho, in terms of power scale I think Gretel is Superman to Sebastian’s Batman. Gretel is very powerful at her base but can let her emotions run to hot, with whatever mental problems she has not helping her. Sebastian, while not being powerful to start with, is great at out thinking and maneuvering his opponents in ways that are believable yet cleverly hidden enough to run into the Sherlock problem (Just saying how smart they are vs. doing anything clever). Obviously in a 1 on 1 without help Gretel would beat Sebastian (As the one time he needed to contain her nearly showed), but with time and prior knowledge, Sebastian is king.

2 Likes

Firstly let me just say it has been an absolute joy reading all the ideas and theories being floated out these last few days! I try not to add comment to them, as I don’t want to give away any answers early, but know I’ve read every single one of them with a smile on my face! Some people are right on the money with their theories, others are miles off the mark XD. Which is a good balance I think! If too many people could guess what was happening, then the ‘surprise twists’ won’t be very surprising. But if too many people had no idea what was happening, then it’d be clear I wasn’t establishing these ideas early enough and the story would seem like I was just pulling things from my ass. But once more I massively enjoyed reading every theory put out these last few days, from Violet’s future to Sebastian’s chess partner! Knowing people are engaging with the story, makes it all the more fun to write!

Secondly let me say-

At long last, Apostles update 0.9 is here! I am sorry for both the months it took from the last update, and the extra week and a half it needed from my predicted date. I will work hard to ensure both those problems are miniilzed in the future.

But enough about the past, the new update is HERE! And if you are a fan of Heather and/or Sebastian, then you are in luck it is all about those guys!

Updated to 0.9.1 fixed the bugs in the forst in Cook N magic.

Old saves will work if you have them! Simply go into the ‘www’ file in Apostles 0.8, copy “save” then go to Apostles 0.9, go into ‘www’ and overwrite “save” with what you’ve just copied.

If you don’t have an old save, not to worry! There are 2 included that will start you right at the new content.
Save file 1 will be on the “love” Heather path with Sebastian.
Save file 2 will be on the “friends” Heather path with Sebastian.

An important note, there is NOT a route for red path enemy Heather just yet. I would not reccomend trying to load saves with that kind of Heather just now, as very likely they will simply break.

The update went through a good deal of testing, but with these .0 version, please save often, you never know what last bugs slipped through!

And as always, viewer discretion is advised. Apostles can be a very dark game at times, that covers some very sensitive subjects. In this update more then ever that will be shown. There are 2 sections that are optinal that may be…a bit much for certain veiwers. But both sections are skipale, and I reccomend you do if you’d rather not see those sections.

I think that’s just about everything! Thank you all the beta testers and spell checkers that helped get this update up and rolling. And of course a very special thank you to CJ who makes every sprite in Apostles, and elevates it so many levels higher! Be sure to check him out, both to see his art and offer support if you are so willing!

31 Likes

Great update! Really cool reading all the lore!

Hopefully next update with have more village “progress”

2 Likes

The day has come!

Turns off lights, grabs some nice wine, and wraps self in fluffy blanket

I am ready to enjoy this.

2 Likes