Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

Hello all! We’re done with the Apostles update a little early! Update 0.10 is finally here! But I have new beyond that in the form of a new project, so keep on reading if you are so interested!

Old saves should work! Simply go to your old Apostles game, go into the ‘www’ folder and copy the ‘saves’ folder. Then go to update 0.10, go into the ‘www’ folder, and overwrite the current ‘save’ folder. Though if you saved in the gallery room, walk back into the hall and you should be transported to the new content.

If you don’t have old saves, don’t worry! A save should be there in slot 1 for the new Gretel update contents. In slot 2, there is a save for red heather, for those that want to see that path. (More info below)

10 total Apostles updates! A big milestone to be sure! I wouldn’t have been able to get 10 of these updates out without the support of CJ the artist, all the beta testers, and all of you who play the game! Thank you so much!

As always, viewer discretion is advised. Apostles can be a very dark game at times, that covers some very sensitive subjects.

This update will be the long awaited Gretel focused update! We will see just how she’s changed since the recent developments we saw start at Bel’s birthday bash at White Well clearing! I won’t give too much away, and just let Gretel’s new girth speak for itself!

I had also planned to include some Lily action in the update, but decided to shift focus to a pure Gretel update for this one. (With some Sebas to!) So some content that I originally planned on or talked about, might be absent from this version. (Can’t believe that pink haired elf from the inn has escaped my wraith once again!) But rest assured that update 0.11 will have A LOT of Lily, Sophia and Veronica!

This update will also include what should have been there last update for ‘Red Route’ Heather. This new content will bridge the gap, and connecting Red route Heather into the new content. Or more clearly, it will do away with Red route Heather. Full disclosure, I’m not totally happy with how I did this, getting rid of red route Heather, but it’s probably for the best. Heather on the red route was just not a very interesting character to write.

If you want to see what exactly happens on this route, load up save 2. It’ll have a small section showing how Red Route Heather changes her mind, and it will offer some minor changes to Heather’s 0.9 content here and there.

But enough about red route Heather! I’ve got something new and big I’ve been wanting to share for a good long time!

After much planning and brainstorming behind the scenes, I can finally talk about ANOTHER project CJ and myself have been working on behind the scenes. A new weight gain centered game we’ve dubbed “Project Atlas”

I can tell you that this is something CJ and I have been talking about and getting ready for several months now. We made a “game bible” to store all our ideas and outline the plot, and that bible has reached 50 page with over 20,000 words!

As for the contents of the game itself, I will keep the story beats hidden for now as it is something I think players should experience first hand. I will say that from a gameplay perspective expect a VERY different style of game then compared to Apostles.

While it will be a weight gain game, of course, with a focus on story, it won’t be as “visual novel” as Apostles. Expect a greater focus on combat, as well as resource management for your equipment. As well, the setting won’t be in a medieval fantasy area. We’ll be replacing the magic with lazer beams!

Going further, Apostle has you start as some very overpowered characters, where that won’t be the case for Project Atlas. Quite the opposite. Due to that, the game will have a great deal of “bad ends” to find. Right now over 20 are already planned!

If any of this has piqued your interest, stick around! Work has started on a brief demo that will introduce players to the world, and show them what Project Atlas is all about. Hopefully I can have it ready to share within the 2-3 months.

Now to be upfront with this aspect, I have set up a patreon page dedicated to the game. Getting resources outside the default rpgmaker gets expensive FAST.

If you sign up, much appreciated! We’ll be sharing some character art as well as teasers for the game. In addition we’ll be sharing the game a bit earlier for anyone there.

If you don’t want to sign up, perfectly understandable! Updates will be made public a few weeks after it’s been shared on the patreon. And this will apply too all updates even the full game.

Lastly, this won’t have any affect on Apostles. Apostles will always be free to the public.

Anyway with that all said, I hope to have gotten some interest in those who are ready to see a brand new game from CJ and I!

Also to anyone who doesn’t follow Apostles in the off season, I started a small side project book. It’s not much as of yet, about 25% through. But if anyone likes cowboys and or lizard people I recommend it!

docs.google.com

Do offer thanks to CJ, the artist behind Apostles. As you can see from the sprites he does both Sprites and lineart and is open for commission! – Cj-x4 - Hobbyist | DeviantArt - https://www.patreon.com/CJX4

Lastly I was most flattered when Qwerty2999 reached out to me and then showed me this image he’d commissioned from Olympic-Dames User Profile | DeviantArt. A giant thank you to them both!

Enjoy!

And this update was helped along massively by others helping me in art, story and bugtesting so please do check the credits file to pay respects their, those brave souls saved you from many many many of my bugs. And shout to one of them logitechk1 who has an ongoing story right now with plenty of weight gain. And if you like Lily’s gifts or just…weight gain in general you’ll like the story. Lydia's bond, chapter 1 by logitechk1 on DeviantArt
A

Approximate play time is around 7-8 hours. Fair warning, the game is very SLOW in the beginning, and likely won’t even feel like a WG themed game for the first hour or so, (but it’s there I promise!)

Lastly please message me if you find any bugs, or other errors. Or if you want to give me a suggestion on what you’d like to see in the future, I’m more then happy to hear if anyone shares my love for this kind of story! -WaxerRed. Apostles V0.1 by WaxerRed on DeviantArt

79 Likes

I second the question on DA, it looks like it’s impossible to go back out of the mayor’s house. The area under the hole is not passable, like it was when walking in.

8 Likes

i can’t play rpg maker MV my black screen pc and then it doesn’t appear the screen again i wanted to play rpg maker MV style games so much

1 Like

Hey, I also get stuck after the Mayor scene. I think it has something to do with the tile that pushes the characters forward into the cut-scene trigger but will not allow movement out. A quick fix might be to delete the dead tree and its collision tile in the alley left of the mayor’s house or the hole beside the door. Otherwise the pushing tile would need to be disabled after the dialogue with the mayor.

had the same happen I can leave the building but the can’t move past the hole and the dead try

Sorry all, last second tune up turned into a new bug. Uploading a full fix now but here is a save just after that part for anyone who doesn’t want to download the whole file. 1000x sorry for the early blunder. MEGA

2 Likes

you still cant go in the house

Save is after that point, so you should be able to explore the rest of town unhindered.

But if that doesn’t work, full new file is up, Sorry all for the error out of the gate, hope the rest of the game goes smoother.

1 Like

Well, I’ve got one more bug report. I went upstairs in the inn as Gretel, but now the stairs don’t go back down!

Dang! Well I’ll see to that one as well, should be able to circumvented currently by swapping to lily.

And, ah, just one more! Whenever I interact with Paul’s house, this message keeps repeating every few seconds. It clears each time, but I have to restart the game to make it stop coming back.

hmmm, that’s a more puzzling one. I didn’t get that on my more recent go through, so I’m not sure. If anyone who also has the problem or someone more familiar with RPGmaker can tell me more about it ill make a fix. Otherwise if it doesn’t happen again I’ll just chalk it up to RPGmaker being weird.

But big thanks for the bug reports! Clearly my fine-tuning skills need some fine-tuning.

Hm. I reused my saves from the previous version, do you think that might have done it?

I don’t think so, the only difference between the 2 versions should have been me checkmarking that dang tree to allow walkthrough.
Were you able to proceed through the game by restarting? I can offer another save if that doesn’t work.

I was able to proceed by restarting, but it may come back if I enter Paul’s house again. I was able to trigger it twice: the first time with Gretel by just knocking on Paul’s door, and the second with Sebastian when he went inside. I assume it’s trying to call a sound file but not finding it?

EDIT: Also, Lily can’t go downstairs, either, so going upstairs seems to be a dead end until that’s patched.

yeah odd. I did get it from a third part location, so that might be it as well. Bad thing is that it is used several times through the game so I’ll have to make another big fix. (Lily can I found that bug, it’s just an action instead of a touch. So hit space on that.)

Not quite sure what to make of the audio bug. Before I start ripping out sound files, from the game I’ll wait to see if it’s reported by anyone else. It could be your download had an error and didn’t get it, or perhaps certain computers don’t play it? Sorry. thank you for your patience with this.

If you aren’t able to find a way around it, I’ll upload a save at the next part.

i wonder it does look like a lot of the place is wreaked? would it fix over time as the game moves on?

Some repair does happen in the current update, but yes it will be happening in the background of the game.

oh yeah thats what I ment it was a “as the game goes on and the main three help out the vilage does it start looking better” kind of question