Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

So just finished the new update. And I am once again just stunned by the amazing world building in this game. Most people have said already what I would say, and honestly I don’t feel like I could live up to their talents but I’ll try a bit.

• The darkness within: I always had thought there was something deep lurking underneath the surface of the trio. I just couldn’t tell what it was or from whom. It’s been hinted at before in previous updates about Gretel. But I don’t think I could have foreseen just how bad it was. Seeing her slip into her anger state in earlier updates when dealing with Violet, I always thought of it as an act. But now? It seems maybe the normal sweet Gretel might be the facade over the more aggressive side. My mind does race trying to figure out all of these amazing mystery pieces to these characters.
  • The Horror: My goodness did this update have a lot of horror to it. I am usually not a big fan of horror. Just not my thing, but I liked how it was done here. From the subtle hints at the beginning with the fake memory of Violet and Gretel, to the characters flashing in and out of reality as the trio walked around town. Then the final sequence. Oh my. Gretel sure does have some inner demons, doesn’t she?
  • The outfits: Loved seeing the new outfits on the townsfolk. From Pamela’s bigger outfit to Steph’s outfit as well. It’s a nice way of showing change in the characters and the outfits look really good as well.
  • The Blueberry: Honestly was not expecting the blueberry section with Dana. It wasn’t until Lily started freaking out that I had remembered that she had done something to Dana’s drinks. Loved this sequence and how Dana seemed to be rather happy about the whole thing as well.
  • The Mayor: While I will add I am not into male weight gain as I am with female weight gain. Sorry just my preference. I will say that I thought it was very neat to see how the wife was acting around her larger husband. I think she’s discovered something about her self in the last few months.
  • The Sophia: Sophia is one of my favorite characters in this, so it’s been nice seeing her confidence grow as much as she has. Her new outfit looked good on her as well.
  • Choices: For the whole game in general it is truly wonderful how some of the choices you make in this game affect major story plots down the line and can come back to bite you if you didn’t choose wisely. It really adds a lot of replay-ability and makes for an amazing interactive story. And I think that phrase fits this game perfectly. “Interactive story”.

So those are my general thoughts on the update. Sorry if my ramblings didn’t make much sense as I wanted them too. As I write this it is very late for me and I am just overall stunned on this game and it’s updates. I honestly feel like I should be taking notes for this game because of how good it is. I will try to make a better post in the future, but I wanted to get my first thoughts down while I could.

Oh and as far as I can remember I never encountered any major glitches or typos.

Thanks for great story!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for such detailed feedback. Honestly I was having some writers block on the next section of content, so reading such a encouraging comment was just what was needed to get the creative juices flowing once more! :slight_smile:

The Darkness within: I’m glad the hints of darkness were felt even before playing the latest update. I was a bit worried Gretel’s sudden turn would be a bit TOO sudden! Though of course the coming update will provide greater context to what happened to put Gretel in this state, as well as reveal some of the other pieces of the puzzle!

The Horror: YAY! I’m happy the horror was well liked, as always I worry that certain elements of Apostles will scare away more players then it brings in. (I’m looking at you Lady Cynthia content.) So I’m more then happy to hear that even if horror isn’t your thing, it was still liked. And of course massive props to CJ who does all the art of Apostles, I couldn’t have done it without him!

The Outfits: Another place to thank CJ! And if you liked the outfits in this update, boy howdy get ready for the update after the muffin update!

The Blueberry: Whew. To be honest blueberry isn’t really a fetish I’m that into, but I love trying new stuff out to expand my writing chops! So I’m more then happy to hear that me writing blind wasn’t a disaster and turned out well!

The Mayor: No worries, I fully understand those who have a preference. While I enjoy both male and female WG, I fully accept audience expectations. It’s why so many men are “off in the war” and the town is 80% females. But even if Jacob isn’t your preference I’m glad Maya worked, as she is one of the most fun to write for. I won’t spoil anything but those suspicions of yours for her new ‘preferences’…

The Sophia: Sophia is another favorite of mine to write for! And she has been waiting in the wings far to long for some good quality content, so that’s something I aim to correct with the next update!

Choices: Interesting! Glad the choices are an element you enjoy! Personally I feel like something I use that kind of thing well…and other times not so much. The “Using Well” versions would be for the split path sections early in the game where you could choose from the main trio who to play to search for Dina/trick the adventurers. I really need to get back to doing them!
But for the bad use of “choice” I think of the “Cummflation” couple from broken road. I think of them as a bad choice because it’s either “Play the content” or “Don’t”
Any kind of choice of that nature I feel like is a flaw because it’s not so much of a choice and more of just a bad way to lock people out of content.
(Sorry, that might have been slightly out of context, it’s just something that has been on my mind as I make the next section! We can both apologize for ramblings!)

One last time, thank you so much for your comment. You don’t need to feel the need for apologizing, as all your feedback out a smile on my face! While I do love making Apostles for its own sake, It’s always good to know when I’m making something others can find enjoyment from!

Thank you again for playing!

2 Likes

The Mayor is my favorite part of the Apostle series so far and I hope he and Maya will go big places!

Also, it was really nice seeing the story go forward this time, and the future lurking ahead.

1 Like

A bit late to the party, but the new update was great. It changed the game from helping out a small town to a novel of hardship, sin and overall more grander in the large scale of things. I enjoyed every aspect of this game, especially learning about the characters, with their stories, memories and so on and so forth, really adds to the engagement and makes each character unforgettable. The choices and hidden content is always great to see, because a bit of an issue I’ve seen with a lot of visual novels, including in this site, is that they often try to show everything they’ve made so far without giving the player much of a choice in the matter. And often finding these tidbits of content makes these moments feel more deserved and really incentives me to look around and interact with everything I see.
For the foreseeable future, I see the replaying of the game to be a bit of an issue. With an expanding story and its branching, it will feel like a chore replaying the parts you’ve already played while just trying to reach the new content, though having these branching stories and the ability to try out the choices you didn’t make previously whilst trying to experience the added content definitely eases the issue.
I’m still a bit disappointed that there isn’t a way to donate at least a few bucks, since I’d love to buy you a beer or two for all the enjoyment I’ve had from the hours I spent on each iteration of the series.

2 Likes

Never to late to say something so nice, thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the upping of the scales from just one town, to events perhaps far deeper that’s affecting more of the world! And it’s no greater relief to hear each character felt unique in its own way, as telling each individual story is always fun for me!

One thing I just want to make sure of (and perhaps I misunderstood your post.) but you don’t ever need to replay the game, even when the new versions come out. For 0.7 for example, you can just copy and paste your save folder from 0.6 and be ale to continue right off from wherever you were! And even still I always provide some saves at the beginning of new content, in case anyone lost their own.

Sorry about donations, but Apostles has always just been a weekend hobby for me and it’d just feel wrong taking money from others, even if they are happy for it! :slight_smile: Trust me, the occasional nice comment, or bits of feedback is all the reward I ever need!

3 Likes

I’ma week late with the monthly Progress report! BUT I come with a great heaping of news. Some cool news. Some Great News. And some AWFUL news!

Cool news!
A friend of mine has finished their own WG game, and has put it out! Have you ever wanted to collect a harem of Fat Demon girls form HELL (and one best girl angel)? Well buddy now you can!

It’s a short and sweet puzzle game, with plenty of fun and fat in store! Give it a look if you ever so inclined! Fattaker - A Fatty Remake of Helltaker

Onto the great news! Apostles in coming along swimmingly! It by far is the most MASSIVE in terms of dialogue, playtime, and bodies! This is also without a doubt the most fun I’ve had making an update for Apostles :slight_smile: It’s been nice after the doom and gloom of the last update to do something a lot more fun! I admit it’s still a long ways away from being done, but I do hope it will be worth the wait. But I’ll let you be the judge!

(Thanks CJ as always for his amazing amazing artwork!)

And last the awful news…Star Trek Voyager is no longer on Netflix! I don’t care if everyone said you were worst, you were always my favorite! Come back Janeway, Tuvok, even Neelix can come back!

10 Likes

In the end they did at least make it back to the sol system.

2 Likes

Well in that case disregard that entire paragraph, except for the parts about praise.

I’d think of those less than donations, and more of a tip-jar for those who are more blessed with money than with words. But I guess I won’t try to corner you into giving you money like they did in the story, though I still would love to show more support for, what is to me, one of the main attractions of this website.

4 Likes

But what does the S stand for!?!?!?!? Sexy? Seductive? Superdetective?
I NEED TO KNOW!!!

Spoiler :smirk:

5 Likes

Lily Super-Fuckin-Ya-Better-Believe-It-Bitches Awesome.

2 Likes

Probably just repeating what people have said already, as I know this update has been out for quite a bit, but my god is it good! Honestly, the fetish side is great, but I am absolutely blown away by how awesome the story writing is. The world you have built is absolutely delightful to learn about and the main cast are incredibly interesting. Seriously, if there was a wiki talking about this games story and world, I would be reading it from top to bottom. I’m super excited for more and wish you luck on further updates and other projects you might be working on!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll try to keep it up, and I hope you enjoy what I have cooking up next!

4 Likes

Another month another good chunk of progress done! Sorry the wait for this update has been a little longer then usual, but as this will no doubt be the last update of 2021 I can’t help but try to fit in as much content as I can! I can promise it’ll be out before the end of the year, and when it does it (like some of the characters in this update) will be bigger then ever!

Since I’m a bit too late to say Happy Halloween, I’ll go a little early for thanksgiving and say how thankful I am right now! Working on Apostles is a joy in it’s own right still, but an added pleasure has been all the people I’ve been able to interact along the way. I’ve made more friends then I can count among the people who I never would have meet without Apostles and the community it brought! So thank you all for another wonderful year!

And a special thank you to my art guy CJ (links up top) Not only does he provide amazing sprites and artwork for the game, he also PROTECTS you from my own attempts at art.

Case in point, I won’t tell you what I was trying to make, but you can see the end result.

We Live in A SocietySPOILER_muffinmisc

You can thank CJ, because luckily THAT monstrosity I made will never see the light of day in the game!

14 Likes

Fill tool on the hair? I’m glad that I’m not the only person who’s tried that

1 Like

Who wants one more Apostles update in 2021? Because you’re about to get one!

And as you can see from the file size, its a big one! I’ll call this update the “reverse mullet” as it is party in front, and business in back! I won’t give too much away, and just hope it speaks for itself! Hope everyone has fun playing!

(Note Apostles covers some very dark subject matter.)

A save for the new content is already loaded in, but old ones work just fine!

As always thanks for everyone who shows support! I couldn’t have done this alone, and please do offer some thanks to all those in the credits who gave there help! Apostles wouldn’t be half as good without them!

18 Likes

I have just completed .7, and might I just say, in my humble opinion, this is the best update yet, hands down, well worth the wait and I’ll get into why down below
SPOILERS FOR .7 IF YOU HAVEN’T PLAYED OR CARE, DON’T READ
This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree as you like

Pros:

A.W Noire: I remember hearing the concept for this one and thought it was going to be some short, quaint update to tide us over before the next heaping pile of lore, I take the L on this one(no pun intended) because the entire fake setting L concocts as she tells the story to Sebastian is genuinely fun and interesting, and I love the way Waxer was able to completely make it feel like she’s the one telling the story, even if it isn’t subtle, L isn’t subtle, since she doesn’t need to be (At least not nearly to the extent that Sebastian and Gretel do, since a mind wipe and misdirection and any gaff she made is cleared)

“”""""""""""""""""""""“bad”"""""""""""""""""""""" endings: The moment i realized what the Detective story was like, I immediately swapped into the black hat player mindset, especially since the entire setup of this story feels like a parody of the Bad Ender subgenre(Unnamed, Lanna, Lysithea’s, Roundbound etc.), as I played those sections I did the dumbest possible moves i could think to do to try and scan for bad ends, which the game at least once called me out for (Losing to the thugs at Mr.Porus’s house has L saying “How tf did you lose to these guys?”). In that vein, however, I was definitely keen to look for bad endings, since Mrs.“Skullfuckme” I knew would not shy away from that concept. And boy, did she not shy away, I dare even say, this is my new gold standard for bad ends, the details, the eventual love of the blobbing, the visualizing of these details, numerous bad ends fail in these regards and this one checked every box for me on how to do a bad ending well, retain some of the darkness (“Lard encrusted heart” anyone?) but make it clear that you and the villain are on the same wavelength (I was laughing when L told Sebastian to shut the fuck up and enjoy the bad ending he chose), it even does a decent job of deconstructing what makes a bad end so alluring to players (Mind you, for me it’s less wanting it to happen to me like L suggests and more being an entity on the side of the villain’s, clinking our glasses to sharing a high level of culture as the heroes reach quadruple digits). My head canon is that someone said to Waxer “iT’s tOo sLoW, yOu DoN’t hAvE eNoUgH TaLeNt tO dO a BaD eNd”, they’re just like “Alright” and then just made this to prove them wrong in a glorious power move. I’m not saying that L should tell more stories like this, but if it has THIS level of thought, detail and love put into it, then good goddamn.

Black Licorice: If it isn’t clear yet, this update has sauce up the wazoo, but don’t think it’s backed away from the darker side of things, for people who still want this to be a story proper, it is there and it is, while not nearly as overpowering as .6’s “Oh shit I’m feeling it” type darkness.

Plot thickening: I will say, Apostles definitely needs a wiki, since I’m pretty sure some of the conversations completely slipped me this time around, but when I realized what I realized, I had plenty of “Oh shit” moments. And it was way more metered out and organic in this version, not like in .5. That being said, with the Saviors gunning for the Apostles (I assume in the religious crusade version of a Thucydides trap), Sebastian talking to who i will codename Amazon since we don’t have a name for her and Sebastian referred to her as “His barbarian princess”, and autumn being a double edged sword for BOTH of these problems, needless to say Waxer has plenty to pull from for the next updates, and that’s a good thing.

Gretel’s Roughhousing: I love Sebastian, so much, the scene where he basically just snaps and says what I’m thinking when it comes to Gretel (Albeit for a detail i didn’t catch), I thought it was going to be an RDR2 type “Life doesn’t have an accountant, you’ve done some bad but now you know the difference” type shit, it honestly feels like a satisfying conclusion to WTF happened in .6 but still keeping some questions up in the air for what EXACTLY Gretel is.

Three, it’s a magic number: 2 FFM threesome scenes in a single update, both well written(Especially Heathers) and enjoyable, I’m biased, I loved it.

Epic Scaling: This update I believe is the longest that has been released yet and it does not waste a drop of time, every frame and sprite movement felt like there was purpose to it. (Tbh I was worried that the intermission for the story would be the end of the update), this is a LONG update, which has solved in spades the problem of the update getting cut too early that previous updates suffered from.

Pet Peeve:

To be honest, this con is such a small one in the grand scheme of things that it is loudly and decisively crushed by the positives, but we needed to at least SEE Mauve imho, Heather got a full scene but Mauve only got text.

Those are my thoughts as of 1/1/22, dear Niss, this update was great. Not only having basically an entire wg game sandwiched between the actual plot, but also avoiding the filler feel that .2 had, this is an update for the history books ladies and gentlemen, it stopped right where it needed to, it added a beautifully done and paced bad end (Thank you CJ for the sprites, I assume), some intrigue, well paced lore parts, sauce for days, and overall an update that has left me feeling excited yet satisfied, I hope I’m not coming off as syncophantic, I think I do a pretty good job of bringing up when issues arise for me, but when there isn’t, there isn’t. I don’t think Waxer can top this, but if they can, then we’re all in for the ride of a lifetime, let me tell you. 10/10, no contest, no debate in my mind. Keep up the good work Waxer, and see you all when the next update releases!

Tl;Dr if you’re watching this thread and waiting for the moment to hop on to Apostles, now is the time, masterfully made update that will be hard to top

5 Likes

good a little question how can I get this scene since nose how to get it help me oh this ending is not yet finished ¿?

1 Like

If you’re talking about the right most one, those are from .3, when you’re in the church having a feast, when Gretel and L get into a bet, have L win the bet. There’s no like chapter select so you may have to play through some of the early stuff before reaching that scene tho.

2 Likes

Well was fun I love the Detective story it was a fun crazy ride with tons of paths and both the good and bad end was a fun idea the whole story was a great way to change the story a bit but the Star is Sebastian is a great friend and ONE hard worker because he had to snap at Gretel to get her out of that hole she made for herself and I am happy she kind of starting to feel better because depression is a hard road.

2 Likes