BanQuesT Q&A

I did notice the explanation of tuck just about immediately after I asked the question. I think I’m still confused about the ~ though, mostly because of the explanation of Goblin Fangs. Wouldn’t adding +0d1~3 just be adding zero one-sided die?

Ah! There’s the confusion. Weapon bonuses are added to all the action dice-- it’s not like you add your attack roll and add an extra 1d1 damage onto it (then I’d just say “add +1”). Instead, it’s “add an extra die to every attack made, and increase the size of all those dice.”

So, for example, you’re a goblin with 2d8 action dice, you decide to bite your enemy twice, using one action die on each attack. So you’ve got two 1d8 attacks, but because you’re using your shitty little goblin fangs, it’s two 1d9 attacks.

Likewise, you’re a human with a longsword (+1d1~2) and a total of 4d4 action dice. You could:
-Make one attack with all your action dice, which is then a 5d5 attack
-Make two attacks with two action dice each, which are then both 3d5 attacks
-Make two attacks with one action die each and defend with the others, which gives you two 2d5 attacks.

I’ll find a way to express this more clearly somewhere at some point.

EDIT: I stupidly misexplained my own system!

Oh, that makes a lot more sense when explained out that way! I think it’s partly just sense it’s so different than anything you’d do with physical dice (at least as far as getting d5s and stuff) that having the example really makes all the difference when understanding it, at least for me.

I tried out character creation, excepting the parts that aren’t finished yet, and here’s what I came up with:

Human
4d4 action dice
+2 Scholarship, +1 Varojection
Apple type - Frame 5 (5’4") - B 19, W 19, H 19 - 110 hard weight, 15 soft weight.
Icy temperment
Passion: Discovering New Species
Temptation: Chocolate, Debate For The Sake of Debate

6 Focus (2, +2 Icy temperament, +1 Varojection novice, +1 Scholarship apprentice)
3 Appetite (3)
2 Mettle (1, +1 bonus)

7 beefy points, -2 porky points

Varojection Novice
Minor telekinesis

Scholarship Apprentice
Monsterology, Naturalism

The measurements seem a little odd to me, but 4x my frame minus one from everything for low soft weight gets me 19-19-19–that seems awfully skinny for just a few pounds below average. (I guess this will probably change when the point maps are added in, though?)

Did I do it right?

[quote=“Kostromama, post:22, topic:1184”]Ah! There’s the confusion. Weapon bonuses are added to all the action dice

So, for example, you’re a goblin with 2d8 action dice, you decide to bite your enemy twice, using one action die on each attack. So you’ve got two 1d8 attacks, but because you’re using your shitty little goblin fangs, it’s two 1d9 attacks.

Likewise, you’re a human with a longsword (+1d1~2) and a total of 4d4 action dice. You could:
-Make one attack with all your action dice, which is then a 5d5 attack
-Make two attacks with two action dice each, which are then both 3d3 attacks
-Make two attacks with one action die each and defend with the others, which gives you two 2d2 attacks.

I’ll find a way to express this more clearly somewhere at some point.[/quote]

I thought I was understanding the die system until I saw this post. I thought if you had 4d4 action dice, augmented by a longsword, the options would then be:

• One attack, 5d5 (4d4 ‘plus’ 1d1)
  • Two attacks with two dice each, which are both 3d5 (2d4 +1d1, and a second 2d4 +1d1)
  • Two ‘one die’ attacks, rest for defense, which would then be two 2d5 attacks (1d4 +1d1, and 1d4 + 1d1)

Or is it that splitting up your action dice reduces both the size as well as the number of the dice? Or did I miss something different in the manual?

Nope, you’re right! Sorry, I mistyped my answer. I’ll change my post to reflect that so anyone reading along doesn’t get confused by my mistake. Serves me right for multitasking so much.

This looks like a really well thought out system, and definitely one I’d love to take part in testing whenever the time comes!

Inspired by Supercake I went ahead and gave making a character a shot. All of this is subject to change if needed for the party or if I made any mistakes, but I figured I’d come up with something to start out with. The beefy and porky points came out a bit weird so I’m not sure if I made a mistake there or if elves are just supposed to be kind of chubby, ironically because of their low base frame size.

Name: Amoni
Race: Elf
Action Dice: 7d2
Starting Racial Skill: +1 Attention
Elven Senses – An elf?s base Detection is 4, rather than 2
Height: 5’7"
Frame Size: 3
Weight: 86 lbs hard + 9 lbs soft = 95 lbs total
Pear shaped but with a bit of belly if the mechanics support it

Chest: 11, Waist: 11, and Hips: 11
Mettle: 3 base + 1 bonus = 4
Focus: 2 base + 2 from icy = 4
Appetite: 1

Icy Temperment
Passion: Cooking, especially enticing others to overeat as a demonstration of her skill
Temptation: Showing off, especially for non-elves as she enjoys contributing to the stereotype of elven superiority

Starting Skills:
Agility +1
*Add your stars in Agility to the result of any roll you make as part of a Move action.
*Gain 1 free Beefy Point.

Gourmalchemy +1

Beefy: 16 base + 1 from Agility = 17
Porky: 6

As far as equipment goes, my plan is to set her up as a skirmisher/spear user who moves swiftly around the battlefield poking things with a spear and throwing javelins. She’ll wear light armor for some protection but mostly rely on not getting hit. I imagine she’ll also carry a dagger for utility purposes as well as a weapon of last resort.

Name: Amoni

Amoni must maintain a strict fitness routine to enable these tactics, but still takes great joy in cooking delicious food for herself and others. Off the battlefield I imagine her supplying the party with high quality/magical foodstuffs to be used in emergencies or for simple sustenance. To help with this her weapons are reasonably suited for hunting with a focus on large game such as boars or possibly even larger creatures. Her high detection and attention skills should help both with hunting as well as finding edible plants and fungi for use in cooking.

While she takes pride in elven culture and holds some honestly rather backward views, she still recognizes the strengths of others and knows that she must work hard if she is to remain competitive and that an individual’s training and discipline are far more important than race or upbringing.

Her reason for adventuring is self-improvement and enjoyment. Although only 261 years old, she already has spent quite a bit of time considering her own mortality and chooses to fight in close proximity to the enemy in part because it helps her feel more alive. She takes a very methodical view of combat, focusing on positioning and making use of terrain and tactics as well as supporting her fellows and adjusting her style as suits the situation.

Beneath her cold exterior is a pretty cold interior, especially when judged by non-elven standards. It’s not that she can’t bond with others, in fact she greatly values time spent with those she considers her friends, but she is wary of being tainted by what she sees as weakness in others. Conversely, she is somewhat of an enabler, taking joy in helping others explore their own vices and in testing the willpower of even the most devoted stoic.

Yeah, I’m going to have to look at the beefy/porky point math a little more closely when we get to that part of the game. Porky points should be a little harder to come by early on (though maybe not much) and Beefy Points should be much rarer in general.