Biscuits and Brimstone

Harder enemies, artifacts and better rooms have already been done and will be present in the final release :smiley:

1 Like

V0.99 released! Basically 1.0, I just feel uncomfortable calling it a 1.0 because I really dropped the ball these last few days eheheh

Have fun! (Hopefully?)

1 Like

Also pleased to announce that my next project is Rogue Moon, the same game whose original prototype foundation went on to become my entry for last yearā€™s Gain Jam, Butterball Buffet!

2 Likes

!!! MADE A VERY SMALL MISTAKE, Iā€™M JUST LEARNING THIS PROGRAM AND IT NEVER PROMPTED ME TO PICK A SCENE TO EXPORT ON, SO IT SKIPS THE WHOLE MAIN MENU OOPS

Mods: Iā€™m talking to Grot rn to see if itā€™s okay to replace the original file since this isnā€™t exactly a user error (again I was never prompted), but Iā€™m changing the Itch version to the new patch and Iā€™m also posting a Google Drive version in this comment. The original Google Drive version in the main thread will remain unchanged, unless I get the go-ahead from Grot

New Google Drive link: biscuits_and_brimstone.exe - Google Drive

Additional note: Avoid picking up the Trial Pass artifact, I think it made my game crash

3 Likes

This was a really pleasant surprise. Itā€™s crazy how far the games come in the span of two weeks. I love the design of the player character, and the overall mood and atmosphere of the game is great. The gameplay is very fun and fast, I think my only nitpick would be that it feels like the players hitbox is maybe a bit too big? Iā€™m assuming itā€™s the entire sprite, I think itā€™d maybe be better suited to not include the head considering the players size, but thatā€™s just my opinion, and I could be totally off base and simply bad at the game.

Really excellent, would love to see this idea expanded on more~

1 Like

Now this is what I call a major improvement. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

to be honest, the game is just amazing, fast, adequate mechanics and with good art, but I went through it pretty quickly, making almost all the improvements, food and gold quickly depreciated (I didnā€™t go into the info, I like surprises), when Iā€™m for souls 3 improvement made the button to start the race disappeared, I wanted to start again but I couldnā€™t,
I wanted to start again but the clear progress button does not work, reinstalled the game but the progress is still the same, is there a way to start over?

1 Like

Some feedback after playing the new version.
Maybe some different attack types or weapons. A bow and or crossbow for range, a greatsword thats slow but deals big damage in a big area, an axe that does more damage but hits a smaller area, a hammer that does big knockback, AoE magic.
Maybe some abilties aside from dash.
Ghosts are dicks and seem to get stuck on those long rooms with the big block in the middle if you run down them.
Projectiles go through walls, not sure if intentional.
The belly noises are divine, more of that. Maybe more and bigger sizes too. Dialogue from them would be nice too.
The upgrade walls seem a little buggy.
Something to do with food once all the goddesses are fed. Maybe NPCs in the dungeon that can be fed for items or other currency?

1 Like

One more important thing, where is it installing too? It reinstalls each time I open it.

1 Like

quite fond of the little game loop you have here! im impressed how much of the upgrade tree you could flesh out in a week or so and how compelling the simple dungeon crawling loop is; stellar work!

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! ;w;

The player sprite is relatively small, the real issue is that most projectiles actually have large hitboxes eheh! Something I forgot to tweak I guess :0

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Iā€™m surprised people are finishing the game quickly, I was under the impression that itā€™d be a slog ahah

As for the data issue, Iā€™m not sure unfortunately!! :frowning: Gdevelopā€™s data saving system is abysmal, and I was so terrified of it that I saved it until the last 24 hours lol, so I think itā€™s a combination of the system being janky and me not fully knowing how to use it.
Player data saves every time you open the upgrades screen after a dungeon run, and player data resets when you finish the game or press the ā€œClear Dataā€ button on the main menu screen. If itā€™s not deleting your data then Iā€™m unsure of what the issue may be, because Gdevelopā€™s save functionality is pretty rigid so I can only use a specific function to store/read/wipe data D:

Iā€™d recommend checking your Appdata for a Gdevelop folder, Iā€™m genuinely not sure how it works. Otherwise you might need to uninstall and reinstall. Apologies!

1 Like

Thank you so much, all this feedback is really great! Unfortunately a lot of it isnā€™t stuff that I can do in a short game jam like this, but Iā€™ll definitely keep it in mind for future releases!

I was considering a ā€œblockā€ ability thatā€™d allow you to deflect attacks, but never had time to work on it.

Ghost projectiles going through walls isnā€™t intentional, Iā€™ll try to figure out why that happens

I donā€™t know why ghosts get stuck in the pit, as their pathfinding is specifically designed to avoid floating over pits :o

Dialog was a consideration, but had to be cut due to time constraints :[

What do you mean by upgrade walls? You mean the glowing pillar things? How so? :o

Food can be used as a healing item by pressing E! But yeah, other NPCs in the dungeon who could be fed was another thing I was trying to considerā€“e.g the Shopkeep could be fed to lower prices.

P.S: Iā€™m unsure where it installs to! I exported it as a .exe this time around because I thought itā€™d run itself upon opening, but it seems like it just installs the zip file to your computer. You might be able to press the Windows key and search for ā€œBiscuits and Brimstone?ā€ Otherwise, Iā€™ll export any future updates as zips to make it easier :smiley:

1 Like

I donā€™t know why ghosts get stuck in the pit, as their pathfinding is specifically designed to avoid floating over pits :o

This was actually me being brain damaged. I thought the pits were walls at first, please disregard.

What do you mean by upgrade walls? You mean the glowing pillar things? How so? :o

I mean the white block things that give you a choice of three upgrades once a room is cleared. If you clear the room while close to it, it can select one before you have a chance to even see the upgrade screen. Also, why are some of them negative?

P.S: Iā€™m unsure where it installs to! I exported it as a .exe this time around because I thought itā€™d run itself upon opening, but it seems like it just installs the zip file to your computer. You might be able to press the Windows key and search for ā€œBiscuits and Brimstone?ā€ Otherwise, Iā€™ll export any future updates as zips to make it easier :smiley:

I couldnā€™t find it since I removed it before you responded but the Gdrive version works fine in that regard. It does seem to reset progress each time you start it though and doesnā€™t open on the main menu. Thanks for all the info. BTW, do the goddesses have names?

Not sure if Wisp Life or Damage is best girl, but Iā€™m leaning Wisp Life.

1 Like

This was actually me being brain damaged. I thought the pits were walls at first, please disregard.

No worries!

I mean the white block things that give you a choice of three upgrades once a room is cleared. If you clear the room while close to it, it can select one before you have a chance to even see the upgrade screen. Also, why are some of them negative?

Ah, I see! Yeah, I forgot to put a timer on the pylon to prevent the player from things like that :frowning: I did it for artifacts though! As for them being negative, itā€™s because of artifacts. Some artifacts give bonus damage with a smaller attack range, or let the player do more damage when they donā€™t have any wisps. So theoretically you could do a build where you donā€™t get any wisps! (Speaking of which, oh god, I think I forgot to program that functionality oops!)

It does seem to reset progress each time you start it though and doesnā€™t open on the main menu.

Yeah, Gdevelopā€™s save system is weird and frankly abysmal, so itā€™s an issue I unfortunately donā€™t know how to fix :[

Do the goddesses have names?

Unfortunately no! I was hoping I could come up with some, but my mind was so focused on the programming part that I never had time.

Not sure if Wisp Life or Damage is the best girl

Iā€™m unbelievably surprised and flattered that thereā€™s a contest at all between BigChonkyFrogā€™s amazing art for Life and my incredibly quick panic-doodles for Damage dfkjgdhjkfg, thank you!!!

No matter how much sheā€™s fed sheā€™s still too thin.

It has been a LONG time since Iā€™ve drawn fats. Sorry about it being so rough.

4 Likes

THESE ARE AMAZING. Thank you so much!!! ;0;

1 Like

Heyo! I was confused by how it installs each time you run it and noticed how there wasnā€™t an available answer. As somebody with a much smaller C drive but massive other drives, Gdevelop makes me a little bit salty with how it doesnā€™t ask you where you want something installed. So I figured out what itā€™s doing and how to fix it.

Gdevelop automatically installs/put games at "AppData\Local\Programs". You can go find the actual folder for Biscuits and Brimstone there and move the folder to a more reasonable location as you wish. (The game will work just fine, and the .exe in that folder doesnā€™t have to ā€˜installā€™ each time, hooray!)

1 Like

Ah I see, thank you so much I had no idea! :smiley: Iā€™ll credit you in the post!

NP and thanks! :smiley: Just wanted to help out. (Donā€™t blame you at all, I personally know how aggravating a game engine can be to a developer, haha.)

Oh, technically, you could also just grab that resulting folder, zip it up, and provide that to people as a download instead. The ā€˜install processā€™ seems to be more just an unpacking process? So I wager the unpacked version would work for any Windows computer.

1 Like