Caloria [v0.0.3 - Update + New Free Version!]

thanks for the update! I really like the concept of this game and am looking forward to the release!

Weight Gain added

To not spoiler anything the art is just from weight stage 1 :wink:

Added the character window when walking on the map

A large step for this game:
The clothing, weight, inventory and moeny system is finished!

For now, the game only includes one weight stage, which is slightly above the default weight. However, this represents quite good what speed I’d like to keep during this game.

Clothing

The clothes of the main character consists out of two components: Clothing and Armor. While clothes will fit over three stages (the one, which can be found in the items description and a stage above/below), armor must exactly match the clothes size of the player in order to equip it. Clothing/Armor is destroyed when the player cannot wear it anymore due to weight gain/loss.

What’s the difference between Armor and Clothing?

Short answer: Armor will protect a lot more, however will get broken after a certain time. On the screenshot above the armor will protect the player 33% of incoming damage, however will be broke after 100 durability is lost. For now, I am not quite sure if durability should be lost during combat each time the armor is used or each time armor protects you from a damage point (if e.g. somebody attacks you and damages you 100 points, armor will protect you for 33 damage, however it will lose 33 durability). Clothing cannot be destroyed, but will feature a lot lower effects than armor.

The player’s sprite will show the armor, if armor is equipped. If there is no armor equipped the sprite for the equipped clothes will be displayed. Armor can be worn without clothes too. The effects of armor and clothes are stacked, while clothes armor will be calculated first.

Food can be consumed and will have an effect on the player. Additionally the “Fattening” stat will be used to make the player heavier. 100 “Fattening points” are currently required to reach the second weight stage. The “Calories” of the food will be converted into “Caloris” (money).

Difference between Calories, Caloris and Caloria

Calories will be converted to Caloris, when eaten. Caloris is the currency of Caloria. Caloria will be a city in the game (not implemented yet).

Since graphics for the game are not cheap at all, I’d like to ask for some support on my Patreon. I will upload the current version I have for Patrons to test. All that happens is that you will spawn with an inventory full of items and food (the items shown above). All of the items are working, however clothing and armor will not have an effect in combat yet. Additionally to the three outfits there is a second weight stage, that will look the XXS clothing a bit tighter :wink:

All of the money from Patreon will directly go back into the game, used to cover future cost of the game, mostly 3d assets for monsters, backgrounds the main character, clothing, etc. Additionally, I’d really like to hire an artist for custom icons and better GUI for the game, but for now I am still struggling to finance the 3d assets, because they are mostly paid from my private money :stuck_out_tongue:

Download

MacOS and Windows/Linux: https://www.patreon.com/posts/58213251 (for Tier II and above)
Modders are able to easily add new items/clothing or changing the stats of these. The API is quite self-explaining

8 Likes

the game looks very great! I wondered if there is any storyline in the present version? I am attracted to the scifi-ish story setting of this game

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback a lot. For or now, there is no story present yet. Currently, I am working on finishing the core systems of the game.

The story will be a mix of sci-fi and present. While there will be sci-fi items, the game will also include items that actually exist.

Here is my To-Do-List (X = implemented):
[ ] Core Engine
→ [X] Map Engine
→ [X] Combat Engine
→ → [ ] Items that can be used during combat
→ → [ ] considering armor and clothing during combat
→ [X] Inventory
→ → Implementing all actions an item can have effect on
→ [ ] Shop for purchasing items

[ ] Re-Configuring the default map, which for now only contains one type of “map tile” and a lot of “Test robots”
[ ] Adding more items
— Start of Storyline —

During the development of the story I will start replacing the current UI graphics with graphics specifically made for the use-case. Additionally, I will add more clothing and weight stages for the main character. For now there is a plan for a total of at least 20 different weight stages. Additionally, I would like to create a character creation engine, so players can configure the look of the main character in certain points.

5 Likes

New Weight stage and new free version!

I’ve decided to make v0.0.2 public, so everyone can get a feeling of how the game should look like. For those who don’t remember that should take a look at this post:

New weight stage for Patrons!

Additionally, I will publish v0.0.3 on Patreon, which is the same as v0.0.2 - but it contains graphics for an additional weight stage (so three stages in total :wink: ). Additionally, I’ll try to create a new version every month starting from now: The next version will be in December. Having added the third stage this opens the possibility to test the feature of ripping clothes.

Downloads

Free

v0.0.2 - PC
v0.0.2 - Mac

Patreon

v0.0.3 - PC
v0.0.3 - Mac

PS: I’ll update the links in the main post, so that they’re always up2date

9 Likes

Any feedback/suggestions on the presented system?

If there are any ideas, it’d be easiest to modify the system now, later it could be a hustle when it’s included in all the other things that’ll be built on that.

Thanks for your update. I wondered if there would be any possibility of customization in the gaining. For example, choosing different times of food makes different parts of body parts gain (thought I feel this is very difficult if not impossible). Another question is that the non-loseable part of the weight can be lost by sufficient exercising or moving-around? I sort of prefer leaving the possibility of losing weight open (but very hard to achieve so that the heroine gains weight on average)

Customization in the gaining is very hard to achieve, since that would drastically increase the amount of images required to run the game.

I might add different characters later, so that you can choose at the beginning of the game which character to play. They could then differ in their gaining behaviour.

Yes, you’re probably right: I will not add the non-losable weight, because it wouldn’t make sense. I’ll think about a few ways to lose it, to keep it very close to realism in that point. A realistic weight gain system makes a lot more sense.

The weight gain system will need some improvement in general to make more sense. I’ll work on that next. @KuarterBound

3 Likes

Christmas holidays start soon, which will give me a lot of time to spend on the game. I hope to have another pre-version ready later this month. I’m planning to adjust the combat/map system further (e.g. adding time and having change it: During day/night there will be different monsters around). Also, I’d like to have the first bits of story done, to give a better view on the project as a whole.

I hate asking for this, but game development is very time-consuming and the 3d models I use for creating the game aren’t cheap. Maybe I can convince some people to join my Patreon to support my work - I’m doing the whole project in my freetime, because it is fun. Having some money available to work with would e.g. give me the possibility to hire an artist for custom map tiles.

Link to Patreon: Zibbidey is creating Games | Patreon

5 Likes

I’ve decided to start off with some story, the prologue. This should help to give a better overview on how the project should be developed in future.

The story starts with the player’s memory being cleared and telling her that she is part of an experiment and signed a contract. The experiment is about freezing people for many years to then do examinations in multiple generations to find out more about evolution by comparing the future human with the frozen “samples”. However, something goes wrong during that experiment and a war between humans and robots breaks out. The robots seem to have - especially for technical devices - unusual preferences…

The actual game starts with the player escaping the broken freezing box after an explosion made the box fall down and destroy the robots carrying it in a quater of the robots. Even though the game technically plays in the future I will make things mostly stay the same. Even other people will be met during the game, though the game will not work like the stereotype of a past-apocalyptic story. It will be a mix to keep a balance between reality, magic and futuristic.

5 Likes

First of all, great game, great char, curves and story so far ive played this

Is there anyway i can make my resources unlimited because i just lost about 4 hours of gameplay and imma bout to bust a nerve right here

I’m hoping to soon find some time to continue working on this. Thank you so much to those few people that support me. The money covers my previous cost and if I decide to continue working on it I will use it to purchase graphics (e.g. hire an artist for map tiles).

Glad you like it :smiley: What did you do for 4 hours :thinking: :open_mouth: There is not that much gameplay yet - well at least I wouldn’t say 4 hours :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, it is cool to hear that your are still working on the project. I think this project has great potential

This is weird, i specifically type this comment for another game

Anyway, this game pretty good tbh, not a lot is happening but the concept and action is pretty good.