Chub, Chomp, Chill (Version 1.1 Out Now!)

i think what could’ve caused it is how XP is handled.

when going for stomach capacity increase and only that of course you’d be able to take the end-game food that give insane amounts of wobbs, the issue is those food usually wield so much XP that if you comit early on there’s a chance that you may increase 2 or more levels at once, but you only get the upgrade prompt when you level up once, it doesn’t consider the amount beyond 1 at a time, there’s a possibilty you reached what the data says is 100 but the code because of only going in 1 level increments and doesn’t know what to do when multiple happen at once, the data goes up correctly but the code gets confused and shows a lower level. and this conflicts with itself when the data level is at max.

at least that’s what i think is happening here. that you got multiple levels at once but the code didn’t consider that and thus only did it one at a time and the remaining overflowed into the data.

(This is just a wild guess based on my own play time, by no means am i considering this to be true unless proven so.)

2 Likes

So what should i do, i want to reach more level !

2 Likes

If it’s a bug in the code, then you can either wait for it to be fixed, or create a new character and be more cautious with the end-game food, if you’re noticing you’re leveling up way too quickly with normal food (takes less than 10 minutes IRL) spend those level up bonuses elsewhere. as of now reaching beyond 5000 capacity only serves to feed more end-game food, so spend those quick points on passive happiness, digestion rate, or even BP (though using BP trainer badge makes this upgrade trivial after 6+ BP.)

2 Likes

I broke the game! Somewhere along the line there was an overflow of somesort and weight went into the negatives. Don’t know the exact weight - think it was a bit over 1e9, somewhere around the time you’re starting to overtake the mountains.

Not sure if the problem was caused by weight simply going up too high, or having too much going on with badges. I have max stacks of practically every badge (From just one actual level in Badge Points, BP Trainer is insane value) and I was abusing single-serving Gingerbread Houses when the overflow happened

7 Likes

this puzzles me… also i thought the levels stopped at 100. but it seems like it didn’t. i gotta ask, did this happen prior to leveling up? if yes what level were you before?

2 Likes

but hey, they got to keep some of the thighs

5 Likes

Technically, it happened during a level up. You almost always level up when you get a proc from Savor It. So I went from 138 → 139

Also fun fact, it was actually pretty easy to manually ‘fix’ the bug by just feeding back into positive weights. I’m back to completely smothering the whole city as is proper

1 Like

Do you happen to have the “Happiness Booster” badge equipped?
It seems to cut xp gain from food to zero in most cases when equipped (but still great for afk happiness generation).

1 Like

Really enjoying the update so far but I’d really appreciate it if we could edit bellybuttons after character creation. I’ve got like three characters who I forgot to give a bellybutton to and now their guts are just smooth orbs forever. It’s all soft flesh that’s growing and changing shape anyway, so I don’t see why it should be restricted to the same shape forever.

Edit: The addiction mechanic in its current state is REALLY annoying. It took my complaint about the shop randomization and dialed it up to 11. My character got addicted to something I don’t have in my inventory and now all gains are dead in their tracks until the RNG decides I can have 350 of the related items. I’d like to see this changed or at least explained better so you know what you’re getting into.

5 Likes

Small bug report:
Turning off burps does nothing.

2 Likes

Boi this update is a banger!
The long-awaited furniture did not disappoint, the change to a city area was a welcome one, brand new mechanics and other cool new stuff that would be redundant of me to cite again!

As for feedback, I personally don’t feel the urgency to check the shop everyday anymore, and that’s a good thing. I don’t know how much of this is intended, but Brenda got me food for a price 2 orders of magnitude lower than what it would cost in total to buy normally. I had whales on day 7, that’s insane. Feels good to not have to resort to Optimize-The-Fun-Out-Of-The-Game Mode again.
The current feel is that Gretta is good for buying in bulk and Brenda is good for getting something to eat.
It did suck that I struggled to get buffed foods though, but that was just the early early-game so it’s fine and expected I guess. It’s not like I can get everything I want from the get go.

I’m also afraid of getting too attached to the effects badges have this version, in fear of a nerf. Some of them are unironically over overpowered (Savor It, BP Trainer that looks like missingno, I’m looking at you (Gastronomical Inflation is ok, and fun (Savor It is fun too, but that’s not the point))).
What I mean by that is that if badges get nerfed/reworked and the new effects are underwhelming when compared to the current effects, I could lose interest in using them. And it would be a shame because they are such a cool mechanic.
Talking about being afraid, I did get the addiction badges but didn’t use or test any of them yet. Could my hoarding habits defeat addiction? After what I’ve read here, and the frequency at which RNG decides that my citizen is ill, I’m not sure

I noticed that the game loads the food items only once now and only when needed so it doesn’t hang everytime you enter a citizen’s room, very nice and appreciated!

Bugs report

Minor inconveniences

• For me it’s impossible to turn off belly rubbing without leaving the room. The button with the hand icon does turn back to white but I can still perform belly rubs. Also, while it’s turned on, animations get overridden every time I click. That means that spamming individual servings make them freak out. kinda funny

• In the citizen creator, some things do not syncronize with the random generation which can be a minor inconvenience. Mainly the eyes expression and mouth expression. The UI defaults to the first option, so if you got a straight mouth but want the first option (smile) mouth you have to select any other expression and then select smile again, being the same for eyes. Eye color sliders also always defaults to black, but the color and expression on the preview is what counts. When hair and clothes with multiple colors get chosen by the randomization the numbered boxes also do not appear.

• As phoenixfelix pointed out, the option to turn off burps doesn’t work. Also, am I crazy or did burps occur even when not bloated? I vaguely remember something like this happening in 0.4 but I can’t really tell because I played with burps always off and that was a long time ago

Character mesh related

• I don’t really know the terms, but it seems like the weight of some vertices in the butt are a little off for the belly rub animation at higher weights. I don’t want to put pressure on this, considering Scribbles’ history with meshes, but all that movement doesn’t seem intended. kinda funny too

All in all, I’m having a great time!
I’m curious to know if we’ll ever get more than one citizen in the same scene and what minigames could look like in future major updates
(Feels bad talking about the next update so soon… no pressure! Take a well deserved rest!)

2 Likes

I’m having a lot of fun with the new update - I’ve made so many round little guys since the addition of elf ears! I kind of miss the exaggerated jiggle physics of 0.4, but I’m guessing there was a technical reason that had to be toned down, and the new additions make up for it. The back alley is more useful than I was expecting, the mystery bags really speed up the day to day flow in the game. I’m also really glad you can have a different apartment theme for every character now, and the furnishings make the rooms feel a little less like a box. Finally, I’m really glad my favourite old feature, the belly rubs, have returned! Though I’m glad that’s not the only way of getting happiness points now - my finger would never forgive me!

How it started vs how it’s going

Just a short bug report this time around:

Glitches

Seen other people mention this but the masculine voice type doesn’t work. I’m not sure if everyone is experiencing this or if it’s something to do with my Windows, but both TTS options are identical, and I’ve had to mute them entirely.

A minor thing, but sometimes when panning the camera, characters will briefly assume the belly rub pose, even when the rub tool is turned off. Edit: Thanks to the post below, I’ve realised this is because you can’t run off the rub tool at all!

I’m not even sure if this last one is a bug, but despite 0.5 toting 800+ blurbs, I keep getting the same few over and over. It’s especially noticeable on the reserved personality where it feels like there’s only 4 things they can say and they’re mostly old phrases from 0.4. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve seen the ‘hand feeding’ and ‘snack machine’ bubbles. I might just be really bad RNG on my end, but I’m wondering if not all of them are triggering correctly.

Suggestions

I have a lot of ideas for future features, but I really don’t want to overload this post with too much when 0.5 has just come out, so I’ll just leave it with two simple HUD related suggestions for now.

I’ve seen a few people on this thread struggle to find the belly rub tool, and it’s because the hand and camera buttons blend in too much with the default apartment carpet. They would be clearer if they were a different colour.

I’d also appreciate an option to toggle the HUD off for screenshot purposes. It’s tricky to take nice pictures of larger characters when their bellies start to encroach the stomach meter!

I’ve been following this game since 0.2 and it’s been getting better and better with every release. I look forward to seeing how it continues to develop and evolve! Keep up the good work!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I love the floor creaks!

3 Likes

Also got some bug reports:

• As mentioned it’s not possible to turn off belly rub mode. The icon turns grey but clicking and dragging on a character will initiate belly rubs all the same. In addition if belly rub mode has ever been on, clicking anywhere - including on UI elements - while a character is doing an animation such as walking, the animation awkwardly resets. This is temporarily fixed when you leave the dorm and come back but it’s still annoying.
  • If an immobile character has their belly rub animation interrupted by burping, they will default to the mobile belly rub animation.
  • The bottom left hairstyle on the hairstyle list isn’t linked to the head properly and starts drifting off as a the character gets fatter.
  • When trying to feed a character, the math that calculates whether they have enough room doesn’t account for any badges that decrease fullness for items that satisfy cravings. Not sure if this counts as a bug but I figured I’d mention it anyway.
  • Again, not sure if this counts as a bug but I’ve only seen Savour It proc like twice at max stacks while Gastronomic Inflation procs every third or fourth serving. I’m not sure if it actually rarely works of it the notifications conflict with each other or something, but this might be worth looking at.

As for some features I’d like to see in future updates:

• Freeform and/or first person camera mode.
  • Minigames you can play with your characters to pass time and for extra happiness points. Maybe have different ones for each stage of weight gain.
  • A mood system and generally more dynamic character expressions. Blinking is a big step up from 0.4 but just having them look around or change expression now and again would add a lot more life.
  • Something to let characters interact with each other. Even something simple like having them in the same room together would be nice.
2 Likes

A couple of questions/comments:

• What are the illness mechanics? It lasts a while, and maybe I’ve just had bad luck with the mystery bags but I’ve gotten quite a few illnesses even from foods I wouldn’t have expected. There are times it says the character has recovered, then they immediately get sick after eating again. Will a person get better when they’re not the active resident?

• Any chance we could get a bit more control over sounds? The new sounds like creaking are nice, but the character sounds are substantially louder, making it hard to hear over them sometimes.

2 Likes

A mood system and generally more dynamic character expressions. Blinking is a big step up from 0.4 but just having them look around or change expression now and again would add a lot more life.

This actually reminded me how in older versions of the game, characters would raise their arm and shake their head when they were full up and you tried to feed them.

m10

I’m not sure why that feature went in 0.5, but it was a cute touch.

0.3 also had the characters emote alot during the old dialogue exchanges, but I’d imagine that would be a lot of hard work to implement into every single speech bubble blurb.The poses that came with those expressions used to distort weirdly when they grew too large too, so there has to be a better implimentation than that. Probably something that doesn’t overly rely on body movement.

3 Likes

Honestly yeah the illness mechanic raises more questions than answers, I know that through grab bags you can get a badge to reduce the odds of it happening which is nice but it feels… inconsistent. It also doesn’t help that come late game the character can be so big that the stomach hitbox seems to get borked so you can’t do belly rubs to help speed up illness recovery so you have to just sit there until it goes away naturally. Part of me kinda wishes you could spend some points at the doc to just cure it but that feels more like a copout than an actual solution.

5 Likes

I just realized something

If anyone else, like me, thought the hitbox for collision with objects is too small, buildings are sinking too deep in their body, or, per-may-haps the hitbox is too big and the opposite is happening, the height modifier is what’s causing that. Took me way too long to make the connection. However the default value still doesn’t align with the model, at least not in the city. Still way better than what my tall citizen was going through

Easter egg but not really

Well well well, look who is here

(That’s the closest hair I could find)

Also petition to make a badge that applies the jiggle physics pre-apartment (0.2) or pre-jiggle nerf (0.3.0 (or was it 0.4.0? I don’t remember))

3 Likes

I can’t seem to get past the third stage, I just seem to suffer from an integer overflow or something, with the character’s weight becoming negative, while the weights of their body parts remain the same… Is there a fix to this, or will it continue to happen whenever the character reaches a certain weight?

2 Likes

I like the game but what causes them to be ill? Aside from events, it just seems like the cause is, eat anything ever.

3 Likes

Can confirm, an integer overflow does occur, though it can technically be fixed by going to the weight loss clinic, as the interger overflow is only on the general weight and not all weight. I say this because all the other ones are bugged except for general, so you can actually type stuff into that one, and any number you put in would be considered “too high” so the game auto corrects it to the highest possible number you can have it be, which would be the overflow, and then charges you 0 since you are technically not paying for anything to happen, so it goes from the negative to a flat out 0. Which really sucks after spending the time triggering all those rng effects to get max results, only for you to end up not even back to square one but into this disheartening mess.

3 Likes