Chub, Chomp, Chill (Version 1.1 Out Now!)

Just wanted to say that I’m definitely interested in a mobile version

1 Like

Ok, i LOVE the game. Absolutely astounded. BUT. I have a few requests, you dont have to add them, its just my opinion.

First off, and most importantly, a Fast Buy feature, like holding right click or something?
Second off, a better way to earn happiness points. not that i dont like patting a tree trunk girl’s thighs, but its really REALLY slow, and kinda hurts my hands holding that long. Like, mabye you could buy actual upgrades with the happiness points?
And those are my only 2 asks. you do not have to. no pressure, but it would just be nice.

3 Likes

The game is very fun to play, hope you will continue working on it! The chest growth is a bit weird though, most of the time breasts look flat as pancakes, maybe you could make them look rounder, please? I think if you “allow” them to expand upwards a bit, that should do it. I understand this would look less realistic, but we’re not in pursuit of realism here at all, right?
P.S. - Also, for those who are wondering, currently Pizza is the most effective food in $ per calorie (1:15), while Candy Bar and Milkshake are the most effective in fullness per calorie (1:30 and 1:26 relatively)

3 Likes

I played this for a bit, and I enjoy it so far. The only major issue I have involves how money is earned. As the character gains weight and levels up, their stomach capacity and digestion rate increase. Meanwhile, there’s no way to increase the rate at which the player earns money. As a result, it doesn’t take long for the amount of food required to massively outpace the player’s ability to earn money and buy food.

Other than that, it’s a little unclear how exactly the body part buffs work. Does it increase the part by a fixed amount? Does it depend on how much food is in the character’s stomach? Do the starting sizes affect how large any given body part can get?

6 Likes

Hey there all! Sorry I haven’t said anything in a while! I thank you all a ton for playing version 0.2 and all your feedback is super duper appreciated!

I’m currently in the process of rebuilding the game from the ground up. The reason for this is that I’ve learned a lot since starting this game and I want to retool all my spaghetti code so it’s easier to add things down the line in the future. I ran into some problems with Blender in April, but now that they’ve been fixed, I can hopefully put a little more time into this.

The following paragraph is stuff that isn’t guaranteed, but I really hope I can implement:

While I still want this to be a nice cozy game, I’d also like to broaden its scope just a tad. At the very least, in Version 0.3, I want to bring back personalities and support multiple characters in a save file.
One thing I would really like to add is the introduction of different areas, with said areas having specific activities to do. Like walking through the park or participating in a pie eating contest at the fair. Like a weird Tomodachi/Sims hybrid. Still a little ways away from trying to implement that though.

Now, as for stuff that’s been accomplished lately:

Bigger, Better Sizes

The actual “max size” of your character in 0.2 is actually fairly small:

You can get larger, of course, but Unity just calculates it based on how the vertices have already been moved. That’s how it currently works in the game now. Any why the belly and butt eventually just clip through the floor.

With the new rig I’m working on, I’ve made the whole gain range manually so it actually looks intentionally designed. It’s a challenge though, cuz you can only push verts so far before they start looking angular, but here’s what I’ve accomplished:

I have a really strong temptation to make these models super high-poly so that the immobile sizes look smoother. But I’m worried about how much that would effect performance. Especially with so many people interested in a mobile version. If anyone knows a way to have the best of both worlds, please let me know!

Gain buffs have also been remodeled. And introducing an interesting addition:

World Championship Hitboxing

Currently in 0.2, your hitbox stays the same, no matter how large you get. Well I finally got around to making a driver system that adjust your hitbox based on your size. You can see an example of it in action here (don’t mind the conversion widget to the right. That’s just a little debug thing I made to add weight at whim):

I’m currently trying to do the same with the jiggle physics hitboxes, but that’s proving a bit harder to pull off at the moment.

Higher Quality Stuff

Also trying to make some of the customizable assets better quality. The hair below for example (pardon the different lighting/shaders)

Better Coding and Junk

What’s arguable the most important is something I can’t really snap a picture of. Essentially I’m working towards making my code a lot more versatile and front-ended, to be able to account for different instances more easily. For example, an improved gaining system that more accurately deposits calories into yo fat bod. And systems that don’t rely on only having one specific character in a scene (one of the main reasons I’ve been rebuilding this is because a lot of the previous code I wrote wasn’t compatible with having multiple characters).

And yeah, that’s about sums up what I’ve been able to get done lately. I thank you all for sticking by up to this point, and I hope to have normal updates to share with you all!

16 Likes

I have a really strong temptation to make these models super high-poly so that the immobile sizes look smoother. But I’m worried about how much that would effect performance. Especially with so many people interested in a mobile version. If anyone knows a way to have the best of both worlds, please let me know!

There is a way to smooth the lighting on vertexes using the correct shader. I havent used Blender in ages but iirc there’s a way to toggle on smooth shading and google reckons it’ll show up in Unity just fine. I assume you’re using a custom shader or one you wrote yourself, so fiddling with that might be worth while. Personally I would create a high poly model and then decimate it as a separate low poly model and toggle between the two based on current body weight, like a shitty LOD method. This can save performance in the instance there are two characters and one is overweight. It could introduce a mild stutter on low end devices but I don’t imagine people are flying between healthy and overweight

5 Likes

Maybe you could do something like LOD but with stages?

1 Like

And my first thought:

“I can finally get her stuck in doors and outgrowing furniture. Awesome.”

5 Likes

holy shishkabob this looks stunning right down to the T

3 Likes

sounds absolutely superb. thank you for making this game.

2 Likes

Looks great! I love the chubby arms, especially.

2 Likes

This is unironically inspired. Your passion is great and I hope that you know that. Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

to quote a transforming robot dinosaur crime lord “YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS”

2 Likes

Yeah, smooth shading is on already. At least in Blender. I have definitely been meaning to look into LODs though.

4 Likes

A complete teardown is unfortunate, but it’s a good thing to be able to recognise when such a thing is necessary. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

3 Likes

Made a Let’s play of the newest version :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Aw dang, I absolutely love whenever someone uploads a video of them playing the game! Love watching how everyone chooses to play. Thanks for dropping a link :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This game is already absolutely amazing, and its only in version 0.2! I can’t wait to see how this game grows and develops. :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

I’m sorry for commenting twice in a row, but i noticed something a bit off. The male somehow gets bigger breasts than the females? I dont know, i just thought i shoulda mentioned this.

4 Likes

Kinda late reply, but it’s fine enough to doublepost so long as the second post is useful- I.E. a Bug Report like yours. (Plus, sufficient time had passed anyway)

1 Like