Custom Stardew Npc

As much as I love the weight gain mods for the main characters of Stardew, I am surprised there hasn’t been a custom marriable NPC centered around weight gain

4 Likes

Well people are naturally more attached to the existing cast

and a new npc is also a lot more work, you have to make everything for them from the ground up

2 Likes

Oddly enough though, a custom NPC would circumvent many of the logistical issues people have making the main cast gain weight.

2 Likes

I can somewhat comment on this as someone who has worked on Stardew fatty before.
Muffintop’s pretty much spot-on with custom NPCs being a lot more work. While yes, making a completely new NPC would give people greater freedom in terms of character and other things, there is a number of things that would be a pain to make.
The big question here is: Where would this NPC live? Stardew valley is a rather compact game and there aren’t too many locations that are unused, either for resource spawning, cutscenes etc. At best you can use the large pasture south of the farm to place one or two houses, but even that brings up issues.
But, for the sake of theory, let’s say that you place a house in that large area. You’d have to edit the map in order to place the NPC’s house, then adjust the resource generation to prevent any pathing issues, then you’d have to make an inside area for the NPC’s house, give them a routine that would have to ideally not interfere with other villager’s… and THEN you can get to sprites, dialogue, event dialogues etc.

TL;DR: It’s leagues easier to adapt existing NPCs than to fit a new one into the game.

4 Likes

We’ve actually managed to circumvent the main issue with making the girls bigger than normal, and even without that fix if we simply made it so the npc wouldn’t go anywhere where it would break then it wouldn’t be able to go into 90% of the houses or locations.