Developer Blog (July 20th, 2016)

Hi guys! I have made the 2nd floor and a couple new enemies (Rats, Goblin Chief as a boss, Skeletons, Armoured Skeletons and Skeleton Mages and they drop new weapons). The biggest thing is that I’ve gotten skills working for NPCs now, so you’ll see on the 2nd floor that the Armoured Skeletons use a skill called “Rend” which is pretty powerful, and the Skeleton Mages use “Magic Bolt” which is basically the magic counterpart of that skill. After I make the floor 2 boss and update the “standstill” event for that floor I think I’ll release the update to the public.

One thing I wanna ask ya’ll: would any writers be down to make events for me that I could place on floors? Doesn’t have to be anything complex, could just be a quick encounter like that bit with the tutorial fairy. I’m asking cuz I’m not the best writer and I think Droark might be busy atm (he’s DM for a bunch of roleplaying campaigns so he’s always writing). Oh, I guess I should mention for anyone reading this from the game website to check out the weight gaming forum thread if you wanna reply lol

I’m glad to hear the game is coming along, and yeah, it sorely needs some additional encounter variety. Curious, though, since you mention the tutorial fairy encounter:
-Are you looking for unique encounters, or ones it would make sense to stumble on repeatedly?
-Should these encounters have multiple stages and/or branches like the tutorial fairy encounter?

[quote=“Kostromama, post:2, topic:915”]I’m glad to hear the game is coming along, and yeah, it sorely needs some additional encounter variety. Curious, though, since you mention the tutorial fairy encounter:
-Are you looking for unique encounters, or ones it would make sense to stumble on repeatedly?
-Should these encounters have multiple stages and/or branches like the tutorial fairy encounter?[/quote]
Unique or repeated encounters both work. I have it set up such that on a floor you can have events based on location:

[ol][li] A start event (occurs on the first tile of the floor you assign it to and will have a generic “descend” event if on the first floor or if left blank)[/li]
[li] An end event (occurs on the last tile of the floor and will have a generic “ascend” event if left blank)[/li]
[li] A regular event (can be placed on anywhere that isn’t the last tile or the first tile)[/li][/ol]

And unique/common/repeatable events:

[ol][li] A unique event (only occurs once EVER)[/li]
[li] A common repeatable event (can occur as many times as you want on the floor)[/li]
[li] A unique repeatable event (occurs once on every generation of a floor, so if you encounter it once in your current randomized floor, you will not encounter it again until you go to the town and then back to the floor – useful for bosses)[/li][/ol]

As for multiple stages and branches, anything goes really. You can just submit me paragraphs of text and I can turn it into an event. Though if you’re interested in the limitations of what you can do in an event, here are the properties of an event:

[ol][li] Start Condition - for example, town events perform a check that your character is in town before starting the event; this is mainly to prevent POST injection and people trying to buy items from town while they’re in the tower and other forms of cheating[/li]
[li] End Nodes - specify which nodes the event ends on so that we know the user has viewed the entirety of the event; useful for unique events so that we can set that event as “viewed” and they won’t get it again, also useful for changing the state back to “Field” or “Town” when it was previously “Event”[/li]
[li] Dialog Node - a dialog node consists of eventText and options (see below)[/li]
[li] EventText Node - the text that will appear in the event window; you can wrap things in curly brackets to output character properties like {Name}, {HairColour}, etc., or put use the prefix “Enemy” to do it to whoever you’re talking to in the event, {EnemyName}, etc.[/li]
[li] EventText Node With Condition - same as above though if the condition isn’t satisfied it won’t appear[/li]
[li] Option Node - a command for the user that will link to a new EventText node[/li]
[li] Option Node With Action - you can specify an action when picking a command, such as Weight+50[/li]
[li] Option Node With Condition - you can specify a condition and if it’s not satisfied the option won’t appear[/li][/ol]

Think of it like a state machine. It’s simple but powerful. You can have dialog loops similar to feeding Seraphine during the tutorial event. You can have a travelling salesman who lists a bunch of items to sell as dialog options with an action as “BuyItem~20” where 20 is the item ID. Here’s the XML for the weight gain fairy event to give you an idea of what can be done:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <event> <end>5</end> <precondition>CurrentFloorID=1</precondition> <dialog id='0'> <eventText>An androgynous looking fairy enters your field of vision. Talk to it? </eventText> <option id='1'>Yes</option> <option id='5'>No</option> </dialog> <dialog id='1'> <eventText>"I can make you gain or lose weight. Take your pick," it squeaks.</eventText> <option id='2' action="Weight+50">Gain</option> <option id='3' action="Weight*0.8">Lose</option> <option id='4'>No thanks</option> </dialog> <dialog id='2'> <eventText precondition="BMI&gt;34">The fairy shakes its head in disapproval. "I don't know why you'd want to be fatter than you already are, but here goes." </eventText> <eventText>The fairy waves its arms to produce a bright flash of light, enough to blind you temporarily. </eventText> <eventText precondition="Belly&lt;19">When your vision returns, you stare down at your now-curvy midsection. You used to be able to see your abs, but not anymore. </eventText> <eventText precondition="Belly&gt;19&amp;Belly&lt;25">When your vision returns, you stare down at your chubby tummy. A roll of fat slightly hangs over your waistband. </eventText> <eventText precondition="Belly&gt;34&amp;Belly&lt;45">When your vision returns, you stare down at your bulging belly and marvel at its size. It extends so far that you cannot see your feet without bending over. </eventText> <eventText precondition="Belly&gt;24&amp;Belly&lt;35">When your vision returns, you stare down at your pudgy belly. It hangs over your waistband. </eventText> <eventText precondition="Belly&gt;44">When your vision returns, you peek down at your sagging gut. It hangs to your knees and blocks a good portion of the ground in front of you from your field of vision. </eventText> <eventText>True to its word, the fairy made you fatter!</eventText> <option id='5'>Continue</option> </dialog> <dialog id='3'> <eventText>The fairy waves its arms to produce a bright flash of light, enough to blind you temporarily. When your vision returns, you stare down at your stomach, much flatter than it was previous. True to its word, the fairy made you thinner. </eventText> <option id='5'>Continue</option> </dialog> <dialog id='4'> <eventText>"Okay. Suit yourself."</eventText> <option id='5'>Continue</option> </dialog> <dialog id='5'> <eventText>The fairy disappears in a shimmer of light.</eventText> </dialog> </event>

Cool cool! Accepting community submissions as part of the game is a pretty sweet way to build a world-- it worked super well for Tales of Maj’Eyal, which has an incomprehensibly large library of mini dungeons and magic items because it held design contests on its forums.

So I guess that brings me to two more questions:

-Do you have a strong vision for what the world of Turris Puesco is like? If so, can you detail it a little bit for us? If there was more user-end content in the game, we could probably grok the lore and feel of the game without being explicitly told it. So far it seems like fairies are magic beings whose powers mostly extend to weight gain and loss, and the tower is utterly mysterious in purpose and origin.

-What kind of tone are you aiming for? So far the game is very silly and kind of stands at the crossroads of “Generic RPG” and “Silly Weight Gain Bonanza”. Is that where you want it/should the bulk of community-submitted events focus on those two areas? If not, what KINDS of events are you looking for?

[quote=“Kostromama, post:4, topic:915”]Cool cool! Accepting community submissions as part of the game is a pretty sweet way to build a world-- it worked super well for Tales of Maj’Eyal, which has an incomprehensibly large library of mini dungeons and magic items because it held design contests on its forums.

So I guess that brings me to two more questions:

-Do you have a strong vision for what the world of Turris Puesco is like? If so, can you detail it a little bit for us? If there was more user-end content in the game, we could probably grok the lore and feel of the game without being explicitly told it. So far it seems like fairies are magic beings whose powers mostly extend to weight gain and loss, and the tower is utterly mysterious in purpose and origin.

-What kind of tone are you aiming for? So far the game is very silly and kind of stands at the crossroads of “Generic RPG” and “Silly Weight Gain Bonanza”. Is that where you want it/should the bulk of community-submitted events focus on those two areas? If not, what KINDS of events are you looking for?[/quote]

The vision for the world was and still is being made up as I go, which may or may not pose problems for the game in the future. My focus has been on creating the backend of the game; the encounters were made to test that the backend works properly, which is why most of them seem silly.

I can tell you about the lore in a spoiler tag. It’s pretty generic in terms of what you’d expect from a weight-gain oriented fantasy.

[spoiler]The origin of the tower is meant to be mysterious to the citizens of the town, but when you understand the motivations of the witch that sits atop the tower it makes more sense. The protagonist slowly figures out these facts while progressing through the game. However to understand the motivations of the witch, first one must understand the nature of mana in the universe of Turris Puesco.

Mana is the most important life force of living things in this world. It is essentially electricity as we know it, but with a much larger role. It controls the human brain and serves as a life force for plants. Mana is produced by all living cells, though fat cells produce the most mana. The human body has a system to regulate how much mana it can store. Any excess mana is expelled into the air, where it then becomes “passive mana”, as opposed to the “active mana” which is circulating the body. Passive mana can be absorbed by plants, but animals by default do not have a mechanism to absorb passive mana for their own safety, as the body on its own already produces a sufficient amount of mana for living. An over-excess of mana is dangerous since it can overwhelm the brain and lead to what’s referred to as a “manalepsis”, an intense seizure-like state where the body violently releases its mana in a series of convulsions. In the event of mana deficiency, the brain will simply stop issuing commands to the body, leading to cardiac arrest.

Casting magic is done by channeling mana into an object such as a staff. The staff storing magic becomes charged. Because the staff is not living and therefore has a much greater limit to how much mana it can contain, it can be charged with a deadly amount of mana to later be expelled at enemies in battle. The staff can only be charged by channeling active mana into it; it cannot absorb passive mana. This makes spell casting a dangerous foray and without the proper training and mana regulation it can lead to a deficiency.

Since fat cells produce the most mana, one would assume fat people would have more mana to channel and therefore would make the most powerful mages. This is not the case. While fat bodies produce more mana, they also expel more in order to maintain equilibrium. The only factor that affects the amount of active mana your body can store at once is genetics. Being fat in the world of Turris Puesco is generally frowned upon, much like in the real world.

However, the witch knows something that the average mage doesn’t. She knows how to convert passive mana into active mana to use for her own benefit. This is why she is slowly polluting the air surrounding the tower with fattening toxins – to make the citizens of Turici slowly become fat so she can harness the excess of passive mana they release into the air. She sits at the top of her tower, growing stronger and stronger as the citizens of Turici grow fatter and fatter. And the influx of mercenaries and merchants wishing to take advantage of the tower’s “riches” only serve to amplify the witch’s power.[/spoiler]

So where would post these events

Could we develop combat events

I’d be interested in writing some events as well, what would be the best way to post them or send them to you?

PM submissions to me on this forum. Be sure to ask questions if you’re unsure about something, to avoid making an entire event and have it be incompatible with the game mechanics or the setting.

I would hold off on combat events unless the you plan on making the enemy, their stats, their items, their battle text, their skills, and their AI as well. Enemies are assigned a generic AI or a specific one and as of now there’s only “AlwaysAttack”, “AlwaysFeed”, “DPS” and “Succubus”, where DPS means they use their most damaging skills whenever they’re off cooldown and cycle through them, and Succubus is the floor 2 boss which is a lot more specific to which skills she has.

Is any of this in the game yet, or is it still just the first floor that you navigate through exploring?

It’s not on the production server yet, but nearly all of it (aside from Floor 2’s boss) is implemented on my PC and I’d only need to test it a bit on my test server before releasing it to production.

Ah, okay.

something i’m kind of wondering, do you have a plan for those “silhouette” events, other than it being a combat battle

like maybe some unique shops with “stuff you can’t get anywhere” or the like?

[quote=“xoyv, post:13, topic:915”]something i’m kind of wondering, do you have a plan for those “silhouette” events, other than it being a combat battle

like maybe some unique shops with “stuff you can’t get anywhere” or the like?[/quote]

Certainly it would be possible in terms of what my code allows for. I can put shops or combat encounters inside of events and have the event continue on after exiting the shop or combat (like the tutorial fairy). The only limitations I have right now are my time and creativity with writing events.

Like right now I’m still writing up the dialog for the succubus event, cuz the idea is that she’ll have a different form based on what your character’s preferences and gender are. So like, I have to make different appearances for her:

1. Androgynous and fat
  2. Androgynous and skinny
  3. Feminine and fat
  4. Feminine and skinny

That way regardless of your character’s properties you could still find her attractive. Otherwise she wouldn’t be much of a seductress.

It’s honestly taking way too long to write but I think it’ll be worth it to have a dynamic event like this.