Eat The Dungeon General Discussion

For general purposes, that’s not a bad team you got there, just keep in mind that you’re only supporting option with is Engineer, who’s on the much slower side. Generally, for Illusionst and Engineer, who’re slower and can get KO’d very easily, I’d recommend upgrading with a higher focus on speed and metabolism. Upgrading power is still a necessity though. Just keep in mind that due to their AOE, upgrading capacity for these two won’t affect them much at lower levels because they’ll likely get KO’d anyway. Metabolism will make up for this. As for Spellblade and Monk, they’re significantly faster to begin with, so they won’t necessitate speed nearly as much, although it will never hurt to still give them some. For these two, I’d recommend a focus on Power and Capacity, so that they can get fast and strong hits in, and have the capacity to dish out multiple hits in a single period of time. Metabolism is still fine to have on them, just keep in mind that the game here for these two is speed, and metabolism can significantly slow down a character. Engineer is there to strengthen your other fighters and prolong the time they can attack for, Illusionist will deal roomwide AOE damags that will kill or at least weaken foes, especially when boosted by Engineer, at which point Spellblade and Monk can clean up, killing off any enemies that Illusionst wasn’t quite able to. Just keep Engineer’s relative low speed and ease of being KO’d in mind, as she’s the anchor keeping this team safe.

2 Likes

Even at these later stages I still have use for the original gals, with the thief still having the highest use for me.

2 Likes

just have illusionist, engineer, warrior, and bard

since engineer can support other 3 at a time, plus you can have either the bard or warrior support the engineer, you basically get rid of the time to wait.

it’s basically what i used to S-rank most of the stages

1 Like

Time to share a new tierlist/analysis! I believe this would be the 4th one I’ve shared now, with the last one being from back in May. Considering that, I’ve decided that I’m probably going to do these about after every second new character gets added, as that way there will be some time in between each analysis, while also having new characters to talk about.

Similarly to before, this is based entirely on my own opinion and experiences, and is not meant to insult anyone who thinks differently from me, or disagrees with me in any way, shape, or form. If you want to use a character that I call ‘bad’ or ‘terrible’, all power to you.

Thief - Power: 1 - Speed: 0.4 sec - Attributes: Weapon and Sneak - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Fruit
Currently tied with Spellblade and now Monk for the fastest character in the game, Thief is quite good. While I’d say that Spellblade is still overall the superior choice due to they both having weapon damage and magic is way more overall useful than sneak, I’d still say that Thief is actually in a better position than she was before. This is because some recent levels (The Knight and The Sage set of levels in particular) have added in a plethora of new fruit based enemies for Theif to chew through, and even a new enemy that is exclusively weak to sneak damage, even if it is a bonus level enemy that runs away. While I suppose that this major point also applies to Monk, who also shares a favorite food type, I do believe my point still stands here. Also Weapon being more common than faith also makes Thief generally still better than Monk. As I’ve said before, while Spellblade might be the better overall option, Thief’s access to sneak means that she will never be completely outdone for the levels that need it, and even if there is now another sneak option that’s just as fast, Thief is still quite strong, and if nothing else, her speed can at least allow her to do decent chip damage to the Magic based enemies that plague her.

Warrior - Power: 2 - Speed: 0.8 sec - Attributes: Weapon and Armor - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Meat
Being blunt, Warrior is pretty much the definition of Mediocre (or ‘average’, if that sounds better to you). There is little, if anything, that Warrior can do that other characters can’t. Offensively, Warrior is outclassed and outdone by Thief and Spellblade, both of which are twice as fast, and have a second attribute to attack with. Even Ranger, who also only has one attribute to attack with, is still faster and has greater range. With that in mind, realistically, the only use your going to get out of Warrior is through her supporting capabilities, which aren’t terrible, but still not subpar. Warrior may be faster than the likes of Knight and Priestess, but those two at least have an actual offensive presence that isn’t completely outdone by another character, and when compared to Bard and Engineer, it’s hardly a competition. Even Warrior’s position of being ‘the fastest supporting character in the game’ has been taken away from her, with the new addition of the even faster Dancer.

Priestess - Power: 3 - Speed: 1.2 sec - Attributes: Faith and Heal - Range - 3 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Dairy
While Priestess isn’t exactly outdone offensively, your likely not going to use Priestess outside of her supporting capabilities. As Priestess is currently the least useful of the faith attackers, even then though, Faith damage in general sort of just isn’t in high demand, and while some recent levels have increased that demand, there also are better faith attackers. For supporting, Priestess does so with Heal, which can give her an advantage over her main competition, Knight, since I find that Heal is generally better than armor (as usually Armor isn’t enough to fully protect your characters from taking damage unless the shield provided is extremely powerful), as well as a greater range. However, nine times out of ten, Knight will be the superior option to bring along, due to her numerous other advantages. Overall, Priestess isn’t exactly bad, but you can certainly do a lot better.

Witch - Power: 4 - Speed: 3 sec - Attribute: Magic - Range: 3 - AoE: Cross - Favourite Food: Sweets
I’ve stated this before in every tierlist I’ve made for this game, and even now, nothing has changed; By no means at all is Witch bad, but holy hell is she outclassed. Unless you want to change things up or hold back, there is ZERO reason to use Witch when compared to the vastly superior Illusionist. This isn’t to say Witch doesn’t have good traits. Her AoE is still very useful, is faster than Illusionist, her favourite food type is quite useful for a magic attacker, and even boasts the highest base power in the game. However, while that AoE is nice, Illusionist’s is even bigger and has a second element to attack with. The worse power and speed also realistically mean little to nothing considering how Witch is still on the much slower side. She still needs support to be useful, just like Illusionist. The extra power, while useful, is a convenience more than anything, same goes for the favourite food type. Also, speaking of speed, Spellblade exists, who by far outspeeds both Witch and Illusionist, so if you want a magic attacker that is faster than Illusionist, then use Spellblade.

Bard - Power: 2 - Speed: 1.2 sec - Attributes: Heal and Boost - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Sweets
I’ve stated before that in my opinion, Bard is the overall best character in the entire game. While that position has not changed for me, a recent addition to the game has provided Bard with some actual competition. Bard is the top for me due to her consistency and reliability in being able to support other characters to such great effect. Characters like Illusionist would not be nearly as useful as they are without Bard. However, by far, Bard’s biggest strength, is her access to the boost attribute, a supporting attribute that increase the power of the next action the supported character takes. However, then we have the new addition, Dancer, who also has Boost, and while Dancer is missing Bard’s Heal attribute, Dancer is Twice as fast as Bard. Speed is a big deal, especially when the game ranks you based on how fast you beat a level. Considering that, I must digress that while Boost is Bard’s main appeal, her being able to repair stats alongside the boost is a huge part of her game as well, and Dancer has made that more apparent than ever. Overall, while Dancer’s speed means that she is in thoery the better choice, Bard’s reliability in having relatively the same extraction rate, and also being able to repair stats, will still make her the overall better choice for me. Also, while not exactly game changing, it could also be worth mentioning that Bard’s base power is 2 above Dancer’s.

Spellblade - Power: 1 - Speed: 0.4 sec - Attributes: Weapon and Magic - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Vegetables
Generally in nature, someone or something is able to thrive because the environment it lives in is very hospitable towards it. The same goes for Spellblade, as this top tier character has both of the most common elements in the game, by far at her disposal. Almost every enemy in the game is weak to either weapon or magic, Spellblade having both of them. Spellblade may not have an AoE of any kind, but Spellblade’s high speed more than makes up for it, being tied for the highest in the game, allowing her to completely rip and tear through enemies while needing relatively little support. While some more recent level sets have been adding more faith and sneak enemies into the game, there are still only quite a few levels that Spellblade can’t just solo, without any need for any other attackers. With that in mind, all the levels that Spellblade is unable to solo include: 2) First Course, 3) Trapped!!!, 15) Bread Dojo, 22) Escape!, 23) Milk Dragon, 27) Graveyard, 47) The Ghost Prince, 54) Bonus Round(9), and 56) Enchanted Forest. So in total, 9 of 60 levels, currently. Also, as a favourite food, vegetables are rather common in some of the later levels, so it’s also not uncommon for Spellblade to have that double damage.

Knight - Power: 2 - Speed - 1.0 sec - Attributes: Faith and Armor - Range: 1 - AoE: Pierce - Favourite Food: Sweets
When it comes to the ‘adventures’ that each character has gone though throughout the game’s history, none of them are quite as storied, so to speak, as Knight’s. Upon her introduction to the game, Knight wasn’t very good. At all. She was basically a copy of Warrior, with the only difference at all being that she could attack with Faith damage instead of Weapon. This made her offensively outclassed by Priestess, who had more versatility with her greater range and base power, and Warrior was at least going to be useful more often between her and Knight, since weapon was so much more common than faith (The milk dragon also didn’t yet exist at the time). From what I’ve noticed, direct buffs or nerfs to characters very rarely ever seem to happen (except for the time where literally every character in the game had their speed doubled, which was actually quite understandable given the circumstances), however, Knight seemed to be an exception to this. Not too long after her introduction, Knight actually lost speed, becoming about 0.2 seconds slower at base. In return however, Knight gained a small ‘piercing’ AoE of sorts, being able to attack an enemy, as well as another enemy behind it. This loss of speed was more than worth it, as while small, this AoE was enough to make her offensively stand out compared to Priestess, who Knight was still faster than. Knight often fought hard with Priestess for viability from offensive presence, since while Knight did have an AoE, she couldn’t use it for supporting other characters, still only able to support one character at a time. Or at least, not yet she couldn’t. Fast foward to about October of 2020. Engineer had won the voting poll, and had been implemented into the game. You see, Engineer’s entire gimick is that she is a supporting character with a AoE, being able to support multiple other characters at once. However, there was one side effect of this. The change in mechanics that made Engineer’s gimick possible, ALSO applied to Knight. While Knight’s AoE was nowhere near as big as Engineer’s, the sheer fact that Knight could now support multiple characters at once was still huge. There was no more fighting for viability with Priestess. Knight was now just better. Knight shot up from the middle of the tiering ladder to all the at the top, where she remains now. While I suppose I would still put Knight as ‘the worst of the top tiers’, that is still by no means anything to sneeze at, and a hero when compared to what she was first introduced as.

Illusionist - Power: 0 - Speed: 7.2 seconds - Attributes: Magic and Sneak - Range: 3 - AoE:
Entire Room - Favourite Food: Meat

Illusionist is pretty much the definition of being on both sides of the extreme. On one hand, she is ridiculously slow, being the slowest character by. far. even with maximum investment, her speed caps at being about 3.8 seconds, which is still slower than every other character is naturally without any investment. That base power really isn’t helping either. And yet, on the other hand, Illusionist has an absolutely massive AoE that damages the entire room with one strike. Magic is also a great and common attribute to have, with sneak not being terrible either for the levels that need it. With that in mind, one extreme far outweighs the other, and Illusionist is absolutely top tier. The low power can be easily made up for with upgrades, as well as the boosts from the the amazing Bard, Engineer, and Illusionist’s new partner in crime, the even faster Dancer, all of which also patch up Illusionist’s crippling weakness. Her speed. Since supporting a character reduces their attack timer by equal to their power, even Illusionist’s speed can be reduced very quickly, unless Illusionist’s current weight is rather high, since Illusionist’s already low speed is made slower upon gaining weight at a significantly higher rate than other characters. One more thing about Illusionist that is very important to note is that attacking literally every enemy in the room means that Illusionist will be doing a huge amount of damage at once, which in turn, also means that Illusionist gets KO’d extremely quickly. It’s not rare at all for Illusionist’s fullness to be at least over 300 after an attack. This means that she does need metabolism to get out of being KO’d more quickly, or by using support characters, whith the latter generally being the more useful option, since that will also increase Illusionist’s power through boost if the supporter has it, as well as the fact that fully extracting Illusionist’s fullness can need so much that even when her timer is ludicrously high, she’ll likely still be ready to attack again by the time she’s no longer KO’d. All in all, Illusionst very much demands support, but if that support can be provided, which isn’t at all difficult to provide with the game’s many great options, then Illusionist becomes an absolute monster. As a result, Illusionist is pretty much a requirement for getting the best times for any level that isn’t The Ghost Prince.

Engineer - Power: 1 - Speed: 3.6 sec - Attributes: Boost and Armor - Range: 3 - AoE: Cross - Favourite Food: Sweets
Weird as it may sound, Engineer is sort of like a supporting version of Illusionist. Engineer can support every other character at once, but is also the slowest supporting character (though still not nearly as slow as her attacking ‘counterpart’). Engineer may not be the slowest, but her slowness is still very much noticeable and an issue, and the fact that Engineer is a supporting character only makes this even more noticeable. Engineer comes with the amazing boost attribute, meaning that she can in fact boost all other party memebers at once, a trait that’s very much worth bringing along, with being able to shield all other characters being pretty useful as well. However, supporting every other character at once (or at least two characters at once. Engineer literally can’t support only 1 at a time), as well as the fact that Engineer supports with dual attributes means that Engineer also gets KO’d herself very easily. While Engineer has some great upsides, her glaring downsides can also make her particularly unreliable as a team’s sole supporting option without speed and metabolism investment, and may even need someone else supporting her. But that last part is fine, since I’ve found that Engineer actually works very well alongside Bard, as Engineer’s AoE makes it to where Bard and Engineer can constantly support each other, while Engineer’s AoE supports the other characters alongside Bard, keeping both of them out of KO range for much longer, and even strengthening the other’s non-boost stat. Dancer, having exclusively boost, can’t really pull this off as effectively as Bard however. As a whole, while Engineer may be tough to use to her full extent, but if one know how, then Engineer can become a great addition to any team, and is easily a top tier.

Ranger - Power: 1 - Speed: 0.6 sec - Attribute: Weapon - Range: 3 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Diary
Ranger is to say the least, not good. Her standout feature is that she’s a weapon based attacker with a range stat of 3. As an offensive attacker, this would be fine if Ranger had a second attribute to do damage with, but she doesn’t, making her outclassed by both Thief and Spellblade, range or not. The main reason for this is that the range stat as a whole is really a convenience more often than not. The only attackers that can really make use of their higher range stat are Witch and Psychic, both of which are AoE characters. Ranger however, is not an AoE character. Nor does she have any supporting options to try either, which even Warrior at least has. A couple levels in the game have tried using the Candy Trebuchets to block off the front lines (for those unaware. Candy Trebuchets are invincible to any of your attacks), and actually forcing you to use ranged attacks, lest you wait 30 seconds for the Trebuchets to kill themselves and fill up one of your characters by an enormous amount. I appreciated this use of the catapults, as that’s the kind of level design that will give characters like Ranger more use. However, only 2 levels in the entire game do this at all; The Butter Burglar!, and the Blue Cheese Cyclops. Even then however, even for those instances, you may still have better ranged options to deal with the enemies behind the Trebuchets, likely Witch or Illusionist. Overall putting Ranger as currently the worst in the game for me.

Psychic - Power: 1 - Speed - 3 sec - Attribute: Faith - Range: 3 - AoE: Cross - Favourite Food: Vegetables
In short, Psychic is essential a copy of Witch, except Psychic deals Faith damage instead of Magic, and strangely has noticeably less base power for some reason. I had put Psychic as the overall worst character in my last tierlist, but some more recent level sets have changed that for the better, although don’t expect anything too crazy. The main problem with Psychic is that she’s exclusively a faith attacker in a game where faith damage isn’t at all in high demand, only being necessary in 2 levels, which I suppose is still a step up from my last tier list. It also doesn’t help that there’s also now a new faith attacker in Monk, who’s much faster and has a second attribute, although Psychic’s AoE can still put her a step above Monk. Overall, while being the strongest faith attacker in the game and some recent levels have certainly brought up Psychic’s viability, The Ghost Prince’s set of levels in particular, It’s still not exactly enough to make a significant impact, but still a step up from before, if nothing else.

Monk - Power: 0 - Speed: 0.4 sec - Attributes: Faith and Sneak - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Fruit
Monk is certainly quite interesting. The thing that stands out the most (to me, at least) are her attributes; faith and sneak, the two rare attributes. However, Monk also shares Thief and Spellblade’s speed tier. Monk is essentially Thief except she has faith instead of weapon (and also 1 less base power for some reason). Thief and Monk even share the same favorite food. Monk’s speed is certainly the main selling point I feel, as while her attributes are rare, that speed will allow her to still deal decent chip damage against the weapon and magic based enemies that litter the game. Being the fastest faith attacker can also have its niche uses as well. With all that in mind, Monk does also have a unique synergy alongside Spellblade, since the two combined cover every offensive element in the game, something that no other combination of 2 characters can do. Overall, Monk may be held back by her rare attributes, but her good qualities make it to where you can also certainly do a lot worse.

Dancer - Power: 0 - Speed: 0.6 sec - Attribute: Boost - Range: 1 - AoE: None - Favourite Food: Fruit
Currently the newest addition to the ETD roster, and has already made quite the impact. Dancer can be most loosly described as a ‘Mini Bard’ of sorts, missing out on Bard’s healing abilities, but is twice as fast to make up for it. While I believe that Bard holds out as the overall better option, this difference in speed is still not to be underestimated, as Dancer does still carry the boost attribute, which is strong in of itself, although believe me, missing out on that stat healing that bard comes with is very noticeable. Still though, that speed can go a long way, as it allows for Dancer to be more efficient at buffing a character multiple times in between attacks, wheareas Bard would have to wait longer to do so. It is also very worth noting that Dancer having exclusively boost means that she is completely unaffected be the boost effects of other sources, which is very significant when using Dancer alongside Engineer, unaffectedby her party-wide buff. Overall, The only thing that Dancer has going for her is speed, but that speed goes a long way, putting Dancer in a comfortable position among the top tiers.

Damn these are starting to get long. Ah well, I love this game and I enjoy talking about it in here, so I suppose I don’t mind too much, although I understand that others might. Considering that, I believe I’ll end off on a numbered tierlist showing the characters best to worst, in my opinion. It’s also worth noting that there is quite a viability jump in between spots 6 and 7.

13 - Ranger
12 - Psychic
11 - Warrior
10 - Priestess
9 - Witch
8 - Monk
7 - Thief
6 - Knight
5 - Dancer
4 - Spellblade
3 - Engineer
2 - Illusionist
1 - Bard

5 Likes

I would argue that Ranger still has some use, the issue however is other characters can break through with ease with enough power, metabolism, and capacity. In the latest levels (the forest) she is pretty helpful there as there is a butter enemy that usually keeps itself in the back, and with the spellblade and illusionist sometimes busy with stuffed tummies she comes in to at least handle the enemies as well as a few other if need be.
Edit: Mind this is just my personal experience, I use each adventurer just to see who can handle what without too much waiting.

2 Likes

This discussion highlights some things I don’t like about the current gameplay of ETD: mainly faith/sneak are underperforming and the very high power curve from leveling up. Faith and Sneak are intended to be rarer but have more enemies that can be one-shot by them, where Weapon and Magic were supposed to be common but required multiple hits. This really hasn’t borne out for two reasons: I’ve added too many enemies that are weak Weapon and Magic, and you can power level any character to be a one-shotter with enough xp spend.

What I’d really like to do is just a complete redo of the game balance and several mechanics, now that I know more about how the game fits together and what my goals are with it. But I’m worried about maintaining continuity with existing save files since the game’s live and everything. My plan is either to do a big overhaul in v0.14 or make these new balance and rules exclusive to the Hard Mode I’m adding in v0.16

8 Likes

Eat the Dungeon Update v0.11.3

Weight levels for the Monk!

11-12-21-1

6 Likes

Go Monk Go! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

Final weight set for the Psychic! She can beat you in her sleep

11-18-21-1

8 Likes

Two mega honkerous to use as pillows.

3 Likes

Aww Sweet dreams my Psychic Angel! Kisses on forehead :blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :kissing_closed_eyes: :hugs:

3 Likes

do you ever get so bored that you just turn everyone into the psychic?

11 Likes

16 Likes

how do you even do that to them

1 Like

well its javascript, so you can do pretty much anything if you know what you are doing

3 Likes

Ok Story is last on the Major Update v0.12 to do list, while on the Major Update v0.13 to do list we have:

1.Beastkin our next Class pick

2.Levels 61-66

3.Final form of Monk and the 2nd form of Dancer

4.Our 1st Male Adventurer in ETD History! :partying_face: :star_struck: :partying_face: :star_struck: :partying_face: :star_struck:

6 Likes

haha jonathan i removed psychic’s booba

7 Likes
5 Likes

okay fine here

8 Likes

Now those are Great Pillows :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes