Fill Me Up (Formally "Untitled renpy feedee game") "January" update now available on Patreon.

Dream2 -7 self control doesn’t work because you changed the code controlling it and use a function now.

Also yeah, I’m not saying randomness is bad, just… your randomness is using a giant jumble of numbers.

For X choices I really think rand(1,X) is what you want to code.

You’re doing for X choices rand(1,10)

if < 2

if = 4

if > 6

else

etc etc why make it complicated? why use many number when few number do.

edit:

you need to edit

"I don't drink coffee" if selfcontrol >85:
you changed the code to use Akane.selfcontrol instead

that line in office as well as all the dream related self control changes are broken as you reference the old name of the variable.

3 Likes

This section is the same error from untitled demo i believe

menu:
                "Join Erika?"

"Yes":
                    a "You had me wake up."
                    e "I didn't say wake up"
                    a "Oh right."
                "No":
                    if Akane.selfcontrol > 30:
                        a "Let me get back to sleep Erika. Who eats donuts at midnight?"
                        e "You by, by the look of that little tummy you have there."
                        a "Argh, get out!"
                        scene carboloadaccept0207
                        e "Understood."
                        e "You won't be able to resist these donuts forever."
                        "She might be right... I really wanted those donuts."
                    else:
                        e "I know I should refuse, but I'm really hungry..."
                        a "No time to get dressed. Let's go!"
                        "Eh, she's already seen everything."
                        scene black

scene carboloadaccept0201
            with Dissolve(1.0)
            a "Oh damn, these are huge."
            e "Dig in."
            a "You don't want any?"
            e "I'll eat in a bit."
            a "Suit yourself."
            "You take a donut"

When you say no it just runs the rest of the code (as if you’d said yes) due to indentation, lack of elses, no return escape, etc.

edit:

same issue

““You hear the sound of cultlary and furniture moving in the living room””

non-gym stage-one night random event. you’re missing like several elses/jumps/returns in here by my estimate so somehow you take a mid day nap in the middle of the night? (fires a random wait event I guess?)

edit2: sorry for being vague, it’s hard to provide exact fixes that require more than a single typo fix to fix. I’ll stop if you’re not interested, I don’t mean to be rude, it’s just that I’m fixing my own copy of the game as I go, so I might as well post about it.

5 Likes

Hey thanks for going through this. I appreciate the thoroughness. I don’t see it as rude at all, you wouldn’t go through the trouble if you didn’t care.
I was getting some sleep so I couldn’t reply, but I’ll definitely put these fixes in when I’m putting new stuff into the script.

As for why the randomness is the way it is. I guess I didn’t know any better at the time.

3 Likes

If you don’t mind doing some extra math to make the randomness seem more fair, you can use variables to count each time a choice has been made and then use that data to help equalize how often each event happens.

For example, add these variables to your starting declarations at the beginning of the game.

$ gymEventChanceA = 1
$ gymEventChanceB = 1
$ gymEventChanceC = 1
$ gymEventChanceD = 1

And then when you want to decide what event to play, use this function. At the start of the game, each choice has an equal chance of being picked (1 in 4). After a choice is picked, the choices that didn’t get picked have a greater chance of being picked (2 in 7 vs 1 in 7) the next time this function is run. As each iteration of this loop is run, it continues so that the events that have happened the least are the most likely to happen next.

$ image_number = renpy.random.randint(1, gymEventChanceA + gymEventChanceB + gymEventChanceC + gymEventChanceD)
if image_number <= gymEventChanceA :
    $ gymEventChanceB += 1
    $ gymEventChanceC += 1
    $ gymEventChanceD += 1
    doGymEventA()
    return
elseif image_number <= gymEventChanceA + gymEventChanceB :
    $ gymEventChanceA += 1
    $ gymEventChanceC += 1
    $ gymEventChanceD += 1
    doGymEventB()
    return
elseif image_number <= gymEventChanceA + gymEventChanceB + gymEventChanceC :
    $ gymEventChanceA += 1
    $ gymEventChanceB += 1
    $ gymEventChanceD += 1
    doGymEventC()
    return
else
    $ gymEventChanceA += 1
    $ gymEventChanceB += 1
    $ gymEventChanceC += 1
    doGymEventD()
    return
7 Likes

This is a fantastic solution! Did you come up with it on your own?

2 Likes

I remember it from a college lecture regarding probability and the perception of fairness. Like how people assume that if a die rolls a one, it is less likely to another one twice in a row, even though in reality a second one on the die is just as likely as any other number at that point.

1 Like

Side note for players of VNs. If you quick save before jumping into an event scene with a random selection then quickload that quicksave you’ll get a new random number.

Merely rolling back in time won’t give you a new random number.

Just in case anyone is playing a game and wants to see a random choice that isn’t firing, You don’t need to know any code to quicksave/quickload. I recommend a quicksave at a menu, then pick an option, don’t like the random result, you can quickload back to the menu and get a new dice roll by picking the same option again.

Also yeah echumxbiaoef, that looks fabulous, most of my suggestions were along the lines of just fixing bugs, as well as fixing the possibility for typos by keeping things uniform. Your suggestion is a cool new feature which I didn’t really even consider. I was mostly just using my debugging and bugfixing brain.

5 Likes

This is a nice little gem, keep it up!

1 Like

is self control supposed to go up daily?

label advanceday:

if dayofweek == 6:
        $ dayofweek = 0
        $ timeofday = 0
    else:
        $ dayofweek += 1
        $ timeofday = 0
    $ timesincerestaurant -= 1
    $selfcontrol += 1
    $Akane.weight -= 0.2
    return

should maybe read

label advanceday:

if dayofweek == 6:
        $ dayofweek = 0
        $ timeofday = 0
    else:
        $ dayofweek += 1
        $ timeofday = 0
    $ timesincerestaurant -= 1
    $Akane.selfcontrol += 1
    $Akane.weight -= 0.2
    return

Unless you meant to have a broken line of code in there. Although if self control did go up one every day it would be somewhat hard for it to reach 0. So maybe you left it broken on purpose?

3 Likes

Please no. As Pagsram said it is currently grounded in reality which I welcome. You might introduce it as a dream sequence though that might or might not change Akane’s mindset / resolve.

2 Likes

I personally really like the idea of something a little more mystical being introduced to an otherwise more grounded and mundane setting. Maybe it could be a shorter, alternate path of sorts though from what you have going on now where more mystical/supernatural things can happen. Typing it out now, though, it sounds like a lot of work for just one character. It’s really up to you, at the end of the day, but that’s just an idea I had.

5 Likes

I just wanted to say I finally got the game working on my own copy of joiplay, besides deleting the “f” like Conni said,I also had to delete (or rather I think it could have been fixed but this brute force way worked too) the entire gui script for mobile devices in the gui file

Awesome game,love it, thank you so much for making it

2 Likes

For those that want to see her weight progress in numbers (metric, if there is demand I could do imperial) I did a little mod. It’s in front of mirror. Note that the conversion might be off, dev is planning a much better version ( think). Replace 2 files in game directory. Do a backup beforehand.
game.zip (5.2 KB)

4 Likes

Cupcakes that are several thousands of calories is grounded in reality? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’m sure it is possible.
A cupcake with the walnut dough, some extra butter and syrup can breach the 1k calorie mark.
Peak bulking material, if you ask me.
But it’s not like I’d be able to eat it, lol.

I agree there are many bits of the game that will/are not grounded in reality. The eventual growth expansion, seemingly cowgirl tf that I’m guessing are happening at some point in the future, and well “magic” 10k cal cupcakes :sweat_smile:. But it would still be cool to see some stuff be optional, menu toggle, or specific pathways, however it makes the most sense.

1 Like

I’ve played around fudging the game by changing the character.rpy initial stats to see how the scenes play out differently. If you start with an initial heavy character the weight is not reflected in the early scenes (shouldn’t getstage function be used on all scenes?). Also, I lowered the resistance to gluttony and that stat seems to be reflected well in the scenes. It was interesting seeing the effects of the before mention changes to the game and actually reaching a higher weight at the end that shocks Akane’s sister (although not that much higher - only made it to around 220 lbs.)

One suggestion is have you thought of allowing the user input a range of weight, gluttony tendency or lower resistance to it) at the start of the game?

IMO this is a terrible idea, it would require reworking almost all the code in the entire game for no benefit.

Wait a tic… when does the sister show up? I mean, I’ve seen her, but I thought she appeared when you reached a certain weight, like everything else in the game.

It was only a suggestion. Right now the game does suffer a bit from the overload of characters that seem to be introduced a bit abruptly. Maybe culling down the character spread would allow a more flexible character customization up front. Already there is some disjointness in the presentation of the characters given the circumstances they interact. The random code suggestion in the earlier message (I haven’t tried that out yet) above might address some of that, or the game’s present state of completeness might be the cause of the disjointness.

But the developer is free to ignore any of my suggestions, for I still applaud what has been done so far in so little time. I just like to dive into some of the code and see how it works is all.

3 Likes