FollowFeed (Game Idea Journal)

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME

• Extremely new to game development.
  • Zero experience coding.
  • Experienced storyteller.
  • Intermediate Gamer, not entirely familiar with terminology (corrections welcomed)
  • Chronic tutorial watcher.
  • Not unaware that I’m stepping into a new vast realm I know almost nothing about.

One of my favorite ways of learning is by doing, so I figured I’d set off on this journey to learn how to make a game. So here’s my idea:

THE CORE IDEA

FollowFeed (working title) is set in a world where gaining weight is top tier entertainment. Step into the shoes of an aspiring influencer, as you navigate your particular brand of the weight gain world: From the casual gainers and encouragers to some kinky extremes. Are you a cozy influencer, someone who loves a challenge, or somewhere in between?
Watch as the followers increase with your dedication to the feed.
Bigger is better.
Be careful, though, it’d be a shame if all that weight was gained and suddenly your influence were to suddenly come crashing down… But, don’t worry about that, you never know what will happen on your FollowFeed! :heart:

Notes:

I’d like it to be essentially a sandbox(?) style game where the player has control over what they do and what kind of story/experience they want to have.

I’d love for the game to be customizable to the player’s experience, such as gender, sexual orientation, role in the weight gain sphere(e.g. gainer, feeder) maybe even down to having kink opt-ins to unlock certain parts of the game. I’m a gay male, so if I had to pare this down for the sake of starting, I’ll likely start the place I know best.

In terms of actual gameplay

I’d like for the game to be solely of the player character’s desktop. Where the player character can attempt to gain followers and influence by doing livestreams(interacting with chat, live feedings), writing posts, Reading and Sending DMs(romance/kink arcs maybe? maybe a hookup app too), e-mail(sponsorships/partnerships), order delivery, etc. They can either gain followers by gaining weight themselves or helping others gain weight, all while keeping in good graces with the audience they build.

Extra Thoughts:

I realize I have a lot of ideas and if I keep adding on to the list of things and features I’d like to add, I’ll probably never have a playable version of this game. Consider this my brainstorming phase.

I’d love any guidance anyone’s willing to give, I have no idea what engine I’m going to learn to try to do this with, but I have zero money so if anyone has any suggestions, preferably free-- greatly appreciated! As well as any other advice, suggestions for the game itself or questions are welcomed.

11 Likes

I think that sounds really cool! It all happening through a desktop gives me, like, 90s Business Sim vibes.

It being kind of a unique idea does mean I can’t think of any engines right off the bat that are screaming ‘perfect for this’ but Godot does have fairly friendly UI building tools so maybe look into that?
There’s also renpy which requires you to build the UI through code but it’s fairly intuitive if you have any familiarity with html/css.

I think once you’ve found something you feel comfortable blocking out your little virtual desktop in, you’ll have a really solid base to start adding features. Maybe start with a food delivery app button that makes a ‘weight’ number go up and display in on screen - making numbers go up is intoxicating, you’ll feel like a God! :v

EDIT: the line ‘keeping good graces with the audience they build’ made me imagine your whale subscribers acting as a kind of quest system - with them making ever more demanding requests of you like “gain x amount in x time” or “organize a video shoot where x really specific kink features”. It’d be fun giving them different voices - the really polite and timid person who’s a jaw-dropping freako in their tastes, the rude ‘bigger’ guy, the one who’s not really into this they swear they’re only giving you money as a joke etc

2 Likes

Taking a look at Godot, been watching some GDScript tutorials. Going to be a journey, but I’m excited to start using my brain in a different way. Very much a concept heavy person myself, but would be cool to know how to actually execute the digital ideas I have.

My inspiration for the virtual desktop was KinitoPET, which seems to have been made with Godot, so that’s promising! I’ve been toying with the idea of having a horror route where maybe a fan goes a little too far with their parasocial relationship or something.

I was definitely thinking of having the fanbase be able to send requests, which I think in real life streamers use as a way to engage their audience, I’d be using to immerse and engage the player. I’d like to figure out a way for players who just want a stress-free run of the game and still have fun with watching the numbers grow. Maybe something of a difficulty system where the easier difficulty takes away the more intense requests that will pop up as the game progresses.

Another idea I had was creating other characters who are other influencers the pc can interact with for collaborations, maybe even possible “romance” options or something. Having the highlighted audience who do interact with the influencer through text also have their own character builds would be very fun. I also hadn’t even considered the audio aspect of the game, voice memos and such could be a cool tool to use as well… ooh the ideas are flowing.

1 Like

almost reminds me of needy streamer overload, except you’re the streamer. would love to see this, absolutely going to follow (hehe) the progress on this one!

1 Like

A piece of concept art I made for a possible starting point for the game.

1 Like

Already in over my head learning GDScript, should have paid attention in maths, rather than stuffing snacks in my gullet.

I’m thinking about the overall visuals of the game, other than the virtual desktop aspect… Specifically zeroing in on character design–I don’t know if I’ll have actual images of people, or I guess avatars for the characters… I don’t really have a budget to spring on commissioning an artist, or the art talent to do it myself.

I was thinking about having the characters be very simple design, kind of stylized like an Osmosis Jones germ type character in being not exactly realistic but humanoid. The base character design would be customizable for things like colors and need to be varied especially showing weight gain progress… I’m kind of using this thread as a journal, whoops. But if anyone has any advice or thoughts about this… I suppose another option would be utilizing theatre of the mind and having no avatar. But why design an entire game if it turns out to just be a pretty text adventure I could have done with Twine or something?

1 Like

you overestimate twine and underestimate godot. twine is extremely limited for what it is, and a player’s imagination is always a great substitute for art (see 90% of virtual desktop games!) simple humanoids are pretty cool too, super fatty rpg does something similar with their player sprites (that are completely free to use and reference, see the thread on that) and they look really good.

1 Like

Love the art style of Super Fatty RPG.

I have a little bit of an eye for art design, maybe I should believe in myself a little more haha.

1 Like

Just thinking about some NPCs to help flesh out the world a little bit, here’s some ideas I have(these are for other Influencers):

Username: DiceNDonuts
Archetype: Encourager (?)
Relationship: Variable (Romance/Ally/Enemy)
Bio: Hey, I’m Dice! :game_die: / Co-Founder of Award-winning channel CriticalRolls :medal_sports: / Usual Game Master over there, but that’s Work Play, but HERE you can see me working on future sessions, assets, Q&A’s, and whatever the hell I want, that’s Play Play! :smiling_imp:

Username: BakedBaker
Archetype: Gainer
Relationship: Variable (Romance/Ally)
Bio: Variety streamer?? I play Games, I’m a Baker, constantly Baked, cause I’m a Stoner, and redundantly Stoned.

I don’t really know how Patreon works or how to use it, but once I get further into actually putting these ideations into action, I might have some sort of thing where you can pay for the chance to put in an NPC or something… ideas ideas ideas.

1 Like

Since you mentioned that you like tutorials:

Maybe this can help you actually create your own characters and assets. If you have time you can learn everything. Blender is free so have fun!

1 Like

Been lightly playing with Blender for a few years, so it won’t be a completely new thing! Thanks!

1 Like