Forks: A Weight Gain Visual Novel (Cancelled, all assets posted for everyone)

Rewrote bits and pieces of that screen for future updates. Should be less nasty now.

2 Likes

Oh yeah- I still exist, by the way.

Hey! Is there anyway I could email something or send a written scene of the characters to ‘apply’ to see if I could have a sort of assistant writer role? I’m a good writer and I don’t want any weird compensation or official business, just wanna help the project run along. Any contact info I could use? Thanks <3 love what you’re doing

I got my “job” of writing the code by DM’ing Tron 2 years ago (wow that’s a really long time). I basically just said “hey I saw a thing in the code I think I can fix” and then a week later I was learning ren’py by developing this game.

3 Likes

Since I’m here… how about another screenshot?

7 Likes

@e123b :hearts:! Forks wouldn’t be anything close to what it is without him, and as you can see above, he’s still improving it after all this time. I was hesitant to add anyone to the project, but he’s meshed well with Toro and I and done nothing but good work with a professional attitude. I really appreciate everything he’s contributed, and I see why he’s so busy elsewhere.

So to anyone wanting to flex their skills for a project, reach out! You’ll never know what could happen until you do!

As for assistant writers, I’m not sure :confounded:. I’ve got plans for Rea and Grace’s routes and I’d like to say I was able to write everything myself, but it’s true I’ve been taking way too long to make significant progress. E is a better programmer than I’ll ever be, and it’s even more likely that many of you out there are better writers than me too. Forks is a way for me to get writing experience, but if anyone wants to take a stab at a character (and feel they can take on the tens of thousands of words that is their story line), PM me with a sample from that character and I can at least take a look.

Okay, the update starts here! I’m sorry to everyone for being gone a while, there hasn’t been too much to report as Toro’s been busy with the last CG, and I’ve been writing additional Hannah scenes as well as brainstorming Aria 2.0 (which I’ll post about on Patreon once I’m confident the current iteration will work). Let’s go over the Forks stuff!

It’s been so long since Toro’s drawn Forks characters that he can no longer replicate their art style, so he’s been studying how to approach them with his newest skills. You’ve seen a bit of this with the CG I posted last month. Since Hannah’s the subject of the next update, here’s what he came up with for her:

This is the level he could hit with everyone if he redid all of the character portraits again, but that ain’t happening because the game needs to come out this decade :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. You can instead see improvements in the new CGs, it’ll be like different artists drew them!

Here’s the latest progress on the CG sketch I posted last time, you can see how things have changed:

Poor Rea still needs her eating hand.

Lastly, I’ve got both good and bad news about the upcoming update. Bad news is that it’s going to be delayed, but the good news is that the delay’s so I can pack in more content. For those who’ve played the WIP update, you’ll know it ends rather abruptly after Alex visits the clothing store. I’ve since written several additional scenes that now actually complete one of Hannah’s arcs. It’s not her entire story, but just as the current release demo ends on a high note, so too will Hannah’s update now.

I don’t have any progress pics of the new final CG as Toro’s not starting it until at least Tuesday. Until then, I’m finalizing the update for release so that it’ll be good to go the moment he’s finished.

Haven’t posted any writing samples in a while, most of it’s fairly spoiler-y now. Here’s an innocuous bit, courtesy of Grace:

And they love you, Grace!

Anyway, that’s it for now. Keeping a baby alive means a “good” night’s rest is still 5-6 hours. My brain’s chronically frazzled now but progress trudges on! Hope you’re all having a nice weekend, there’ll be more to come once it’s ready :relaxed:

26 Likes

Few meals were missed it seems :rofl:

1 Like

Toro sure has improved his artstyle over the years, the new Hannah re-work looks amazing! Totally understand why it wouldn’t be possible to redraw all the characters again though, so I’m glad the CGs are getting this new art style

2 Likes

Alex is looking good it seems!

1 Like

First thought when I saw Hannah’s new portrait: “Oh my God, she has a nose!”

I do love the new art style. As Skinny Guy said, it looks amazing. As does the bulge Alex has sliding under the table, lol.

2 Likes

Haha glad I wasn’t the only one who reacted upon seeing a nose! It made me realize how in the old portraits they never had them. It’s crazy the amount of effort that Tron, Torro and the crew are putting into Forks!

1 Like

Oh so that’s what been throwing me off.

I don’t know how this game keeps getting better and better. Every time I see the Weight Gaming update about it, I’m just in shock about all the fantastic progress and work y’all have been putting into it. Good job Forks team, you all are amazing!

1 Like

guys, i know it’s a shit question, but where can i download the full version of the game? I see several people with prints of parts that I didn’t get to see. As I finish the 4 girls celebration scene (below) my game goes back to the home screen. Anyway, digging through the site, I saw that it was written “demo” but I can’t find the download of the final version, can anyone tell me where it is?

4 Likes

I believe if you go to to the 1,100 message on this board you find a early version of the next update. At least that’s where I got it.It may not have all the stuff that’s shown here as those have yet to be added to the story.

1 Like

Love the art and writing, I will be highly waiting the full/next release!

Honestly, I’m super hyped for this update. I elected not to play the text-only update and I can’t wait to see where the story goes. Honestly, can’t wait to see how hannah’s story progresses as she seems like a tougher nut to crack :P. Either way, great job forks devs :).

2 Likes

There is no such a thing as “full version” of the game right now. It’s being developed.

Addressing the part “This is the level he could hit with everyone if he redid all of the character portraits again, but that ain’t happening because the game needs to come out this decade”:
I’ve once seen a solution in Eldritch Academy VN game (steam case as Steam is the purpose platform for Forks) that the game was fully released with v1 and then in spare time slowly reworked to v2 and after almost 3 years it got its sprites fully reworked to new artstyle in v3. Maybe this is the way to go? Focus on finishing the game now with developing art skills through it but once it’s released, start slow preparations of reworking sprites into new visual level. This would put no haste to anyone as it could last even few years as Eldritch Academy example shows, however someday it eventually would have been finished.

6 Likes

this sounds like a great idea.

i have to admit that sounds like an awsome idea!

While a novel idea I’d imagine the team would rather put resources into new project and games (that might bring an income) than have their solo artist spend countless hours on updating art for a finished free product.

6 Likes