Forks: A Weight Gain Visual Novel (Cancelled, all assets posted for everyone)

Hmm. C++ can do automated variables, you know, even if pointers are a nominal thing for OOP. But I hate pointers, so I stopped studying it at that point = P

Not really, and for these reasons:

1. You specify type data when creating a variable.
  2. You assign the amount of memory you need in based a how much use of variable
  3. You say when free the memory space, else generate junk data

I love when people get perceptive like you! The reason for current “offness” in the new puppet is that Alex is going to gain aloooot of weight. In prep for this, Tron and FoxFire made the puppet of Alex skinnier version proportions just a bit askew. This allows the weight to be drawn in more detail since it will be taking up the space that was once occupied by say a thigh gap. At least that’s what I gathered from what Tron told me since I’m one of the script testers. As shown in the original body models of Alex, her stomach is going to be very big. Which is why the torso is so elongated as opposed to the older version of her. Hope this helps :smiley:

5 Likes

That character creator looks amazing! Can you by chance provide me with the name?

I played the demo one or two month ago and this is a very big project I’m pressed to play to when it will be completed. You’ve got all my support !

7 Likes

Absolutely. It’s the custom upgrade/update I’m making for A Piece of Cake / C’est de la tarte. I’m hoping to help anyone making Ren’Py games with custom code made for WG games.

I’ve been dumping code snippets via the game’s Discord so far, but if you want, I can share everything here (in another thread, I already feel bad I’m polluting this one).

8 Likes

Hey, everyone! Hope you all had/continue to have some fun holidays! FoxFire and Ars are on break until early January, and I’m just about to take a quick vacation too. I wanted to give an update of where we’re at, as well as what we’ll be doing into the new year:

1. Before break, FoxFire finished two more backgrounds, which completes the three planned generic University exterior shots.

These are just the Winter shots, variants for each season are also done. Once FoxFire comes back, he plans to start working on Alex’s dorm room.

2. As soon as I come back from vacation, I’ll work towards finishing the script. Had I not gotten sick and swerved into the GUI for so long, I likely would’ve met my goal for finishing the script this year. So close, but solid progress was made nonetheless!

3. After the script is complete, it’ll be sent off to testers. Once they’ve cleared it, I’ll make another giant pass to the current script, implementing the new UI functions and trying to get the story moving sooner. Don’t want to talk to Ryan at the beginning? You hopefully won’t have to in the next demo!

4. Once FoxFire finishes the demo’s backgrounds, he’ll move to CGs. Once the CGs are done, he’ll be finished with all major visual assets, and will start a polish pass.

5. I’ll spruce up the GUI further, fixing the remaining bugs and getting it ready to release.

6. The release candidate will be given to the testers. Once everything’s green, I’ll edit the first post in this thread and release it here!

Unless something totally unforeseen happens, 2020 should be the year this demo releases. Shoot, the whole game might if we work fast enough :sweat_smile: While you shouldn’t expect content updates for a couple of weeks, I’m always happy to answer questions. Those are easy :grin:

@jarlewski Thank you for the offer! There’s a tenacious little bug that I’ve been trying to squash, and if I still haven’t found a way after a code cleanup, I’ll probably contact you.

@notmaebarakeiichi Thanks! It can get overwhelming when you realize what all you can need to make a game. Serious respect to those that can make entire games by themselves, I’d be lost without my team. :relieved:

FoxFire, Ars, community editors/testers, my lovely wife, and shout out to @queenfatty from this very thread for her help with the script. She helped me through a major writer’s block that’s going to make the game that much better for everyone!

WG as a whole, really. This game wouldn’t have gotten this far without all of you!

30 Likes

A general review of what I like so far, and what needs work. Spoiler alert! As far as I can tell, I'm not very far into it yet. I'm playing on Debian 9, and installation was...

I should also add, I’ve never used ren.py before but if you want someone who knows how to do some pretty fancy stuff with python, let me know.

2 Likes

Forgot to add:

1. big hips grace is best grace
  2. the red highlights in her hair in the earlier design align with her personality very nicely. I’d love to see those make a return.

Oh, and the amount of contours and shadows in the new Alex belly is distracting and doesn’t look realistic for her size. Still an improvement overall.

1 Like

Hey, everyone! Wanted to post a quick update and say that we’re all back, and have been back at 100% since Monday. Foxfire’s even got a new background done; let’s compare from the very first post in the thread:

Aww yeah, feel that progress! All four seasons at day and two at night, Alex’ll have so much to see out her window! Also added some things that actually show up in the narrative, such as her mirror.

As for writing, I’m grinding through the end of the demo to finish the first draft. How about some new lines with no context?

Trouble in paradise, or just some Jenga action?

@e123b I know I’m late, but thank you so much for the feedback :grin:! Getting cellphone chats working 100% without a web of code and variables has been a real thorn, so I might contact you about that once I go back to UI. As for your feedback, is there any way to format spoiler text? Thankfully, there won’t be anything heavy here; I’ll go through your bullets:

1. Yep, that scene’s from an earlier draft, and it needs more massaging to get it clicking with the current version. Hannah’s reaction to Grace also no longer fits, and I’ll be working in ways to make it less of a surprise for everyone.

2. Believe me, if we had infinite time, we’d love to do it! We do plan to for a few simple shots like that, things like Alex’s plate in the first cafeteria scene, but it’s an unfortunate balancing act between time and content. After this demo, we’ve still got at least 27 character portraits + outfits :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3. Fixing those hands, that’s right!

4. Funny enough, I still have an idea for a 16-bit style RPG that Alex and Rea play together, utilizing Live 2D for their avatars. It’s just that there’s so much important core to fill out that it’s always been near the end of the line.

5. Ha, YES! I had always meant to do a second edit pass before posting the first demo, but never did! I caught that “through” later and fixed it, along with several other mistakes. Can’t believe I missed some of those :sweat_smile:

I hope you enjoyed the rest of the demo! I aim to keep doing everything you liked about it.

29 Likes

Where do I download the current demo?

All this is really building up the hype for the next demo and the game in general :grin: Gotta love Alex’s new look and the detail to the scenery.

The most current demo is in the very first post, though I’ll warn you, it is really out of date. The devs haven’t posted a new version since they went back to the drawing board awhile back, so it won’t any of the new stuff they’ve been talking about for the last six months or so. It’s also the old art style, so the designs will be rather different, as well.

1 Like

Ah okay. Thank you very much!

Super excited to see the work you’re doing here!

I’m sure someone already asked, but do you have a timeframe for completion of the demo and the full game? I’m curious as to how much time is put into a game of this scope and size.

1 Like

@MightyHalberd @eltipito42 Thanks, glad you’re looking forward to it! :grin:

As for a timeframe, here’s a spreadsheet:

Few parts blurred to avoid spoilers. When all the red’s turned green, it’s ready (or close) for release! I’m working away at the end of the demo script as I can, and FoxFire estimates that the rest of the backgrounds will take another 6 weeks. After that come the CGs. Unfortunately, I can’t be more specific with a release window than “this year”, but that’s what these updates help with!

Ah, and that’s right! We’ve got another background finished, and that means another quick comparison shot:

Look at how blurry the old background was, it’s like we’re going straight to the HD remaster :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

I love getting to see behind the scenes, this is a great way to get a sense for your process. It’s really neat that you’ve been so willing to keep us in the loop - even if there’s nothing for us to try right now, it’s almost as good when we get such frequent interaction here. Thanks for taking the time to do a little community engagement.

This comparison does bum me out just a little, with Hannah specifically. I’m a little biased, she is my favorite, but her redesign felt the most like a step backwards. I think it’s the change to her chest shape - something about how much lower it is (particularly between these two, in the “same” outfit) doesn’t gel with her figure anymore to me. I get we’re past the point where anything is really going to get done about it, but it still feels like it bears mentioning.

7 Likes

Got bored, morphed the new Alex. Just like the default, but with some post-stuffing bloat:

I also did one that has a bit of growth all over, but primarily in her midsection. Here’s that one side-by-side with the bloat and the original.

Maybe the bloat one would be useful for a post-stuffing scene?

@Tron one suggestion: maybe the background behind the text should be a bit more translucent, like the older version. That way, you can see more of the characters on-screen.

17 Likes

Well, well, well. I’ve been looking anonymously around every posts but this one is still the only that excites me so much.

1 Like

I’m posting to hope this thread ain’t dead because I’m super excited to see more because this is easily my favourite WG VN right now.