Gaming General Questions (New ones every few days)

I only really turn toxic if a) a player is performing an action that effectively prevents me from doing anything (such as stunlocking me) and b) if they are going out of their way to target me specifically. Without that, I tend not to get riled up very easily

My pet peeve of game design is a character in a game designed to take control away from me. I’m not talking about CC. I’m talking about when a teammate can arbitrarily decide where I’m positioned is retarded and reposition me without my consent.

Enter League of Legends. (Silver knows where this is going.) There is a champion called Tahm Kench in this game. And like Silver with his LeBlanc, I will ban him every single time. Because he is the ultimate cesspool of teamkilling degenerate scum, and it is infuriating. Oh, and when he’s on the enemy team? How about a character that passively does more damage from building defensive stats- at a pretty good ratio at that! Add to that that he also additionally deals % Max Health damage and effectively has 200% health? (The defensive stat that also scales his damage!) Yeah. Fuck that guy. And almost everyone who plays him.

Horror is a powerful sentiment. What is the most terrifying thing you’ve seen in a game?

Terror is a powerful force, with it’s most potent form being that which destroys the human body. Boy, does Trauma Center go all out.

Now, I could talk about GUILT or Stigma, but those are mitigated by the fact that they are man made diseases. If we want to get into true terror, we have to look for something that is a natural killer.

Enter Trauma Team.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the Rosalia Virus is one of, if not the most, horrifying things that has been produced by the collective group of mad Japanese men known as Atlus. You know, the same mad men behind Shin Megami Tensei and the Persona series? Those lunatics. So naturally when trying to make a thing to work against in Trauma Team, Atlus went all out.

Imagine a person bleeding to death, but not in a normal way. Imagine the blood spilling out of their of their eyes, nose ears and mouth all at once. A person who is essentially bleeding out of every hole on their body. That is how the Rosalia Virus kills its victims, via Viral Hemorrhagic Fever. A person who is infected by the virus has three days after the virus becomes active, and devours their body from the inside out.

Even more terrifying is where it came from. This virus that brutally kills people it infects…
…Originated from the sweetest, most innocent girl in existence.

Rosalia Rosselini. A young innocent girl who wished for nothing but the success of her adoptive father. A father who was working on a way to use the virus within her as a way to end all diseases. A father who, upon discovering the destructive power of the virus, killed his adoptive daughter to stop its spread. And a death that gave the virus a way to transmit itself using the monarch butterflies.

And thus, the Rosalia Virus gained wings and flew. And death rained upon the world.

Probably the most terrifying thing about the Rosalia Virus is that there are indeed viruses like this. Viral Hemorrhagic Fever is real. Granted, the Rosalia Virus is turned up way the fuck past eleven, but still. When a game shows just how realistic it can get, then it begins to truly show how terrifying they can be.

Bees.

So this is going to be a weird one. What game did you enjoy that you were disappointed by?

Simply point, what game let you down, but you still enjoyed?

Well you know, despite the fact that it didn’t live up to expectations, Watch_Dogs was still a game I enjoyed.

Alright, real talk here, the game, quite frankly, did not live up to its hype. We were promised a whole world we could hack to our whims, getting access to people’s private information, ad making the most of it. Causing black outs at will and basically being a game to usurp Grand Theft Auto.

Uh, well. That did not happen. At all.

Granted, the game was a big let down, but still, the game itself played pretty damn well, and as such, I enjoyed playing it immensely. Who knows, perhaps the sequel will work out better than this one did.

While not entirely dissapointing, Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes certainly was a bit of a let down. (yes this entire response will be in comic sans ms) At first it wasn’t to hard to find two other people to play with; but like with all other online multiplayer games, it would be easier to shove a carrot up a non-oral orifice. (or as I like to call them non-oralfice 8) ) End response.

Aperture Tag: The Paint Gun Testing initiative was a Portal 2 mod available on the Steam store for $5. It was…rather lacklustre. The game focused on using a gun that could apply the repulsion and propulsion gels used in the second half of Portal 2, and given that it was a mod that was not free to play, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

This was exaggerated even more by the fact that a few months later, Portal Stories: Mel came out, which was free to play, and in many ways rivaled its source material.

Brawl was really disappointing to me. It is sort of what Firesoul was talking about with characters controlling their opponent. A lot of characters in Brawl had really weird properties that made you have to play more cautiously. This is very painful in a game where you also randomly trip when walking or running and everything is a bit slower and much more floaty than it used to be. This was very frustrating considering that the new characters they introduced to Smash should have been really awesome to play with. Instead, the game penalized skill. I played hundreds of hours with Ness (still my Brawl and Melee main) and only slightly felt like I was getting better. My brother played as Pit and he was super frustrating to fight even though I had no idea how he worked. Even crazier is the level of arrow control that Pit can exercise and my brother somehow knew how to use it. Forward + B was also an attack that somehow beat a lot of other attacks even when it looked like it would be too weak to be a problem or too small in range.

Then comes the knowledge that Meta Knight is waaaaaayy too good compared to the other characters. Just by pressing and tapping the B button, you can easily rack up 48% damage while defending against most of the attacks in the game. Then comes his Up + B which can be manipulated with the glide mechanic to easily make basically any recovery. Lastly, all characters in Brawl, and almost especially Meta Knight, are very sturdy and hard to knock out. Professional smash players already know how to use directional influence to decrease how far you hit them, too.

But recently, I watched competitive play of Brawl and thought it looked more fun than the other Smash games. I really miss Brawl despite how much I hated it. And I am glad that I still have a copy of the game for whenever I actually get to play the game again.

No preface this time. What is your favorite finale in a game?

There was exactly ONE game that convinced me that a 3DS was a good system to have. For those of you who don’t have it, I will always, highly recommend-
Kid Icarus: Uprising?
…Well, yes that one too. But this is MY opinion, not yours, Hades.
You’re no fun. I’m just engaging in some shameless self promotion. How can you fault that?
Quiet you. Anyways, Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I’ve heard some rumors that state that Awakening was supposed to be the last Fire Emblem game, and that since it did so well, it ended up, well, saving the franchise. I’ve yet to complete fates because holy balls is that game difficult. Given the fact that it can basically be called Waifu Simulator 2013, it became immensely popular.

Then you reach Chapter 10 and this game becomes damn near legendary and packed to the brim with emotion. But that is a topic for another time. We’re talking about finales.

And this game delivered.

Grima is back and is causing chaos in space time. So now you take him down on his back, fighting through waves of powerful enemies with your own most likely over leveled troops, fighting to kill the Hierophant body, and then, depending on your choice, either seal Grima away once more, or kill him for good.

All of this set to easily one of the most awesome themes ever created. Bonus points for incorporating Fire Emblem’s main theme into the mix of Robin’s theme.

The chapter doesn’t last to long, but if it isn’t one of hell of a rush of a victory lap. You made it this far, fight this final challenge and victory is yours.

I’d have picked the fight against Star Dream, but you already covered that…

There WAS Queen Sectonia from Triple Deluxe… But it’s nothing compared to that one.

LISA: The Painful had an emotionally driven, dramatic final battle, but like I said before, it’s quite sad…

Not really sure if it counts, seeing as the game isn’t exactly DONE yet… But the Moon Lord from Terraria was definitely intense… The skies go dark, the creature descends upon you, one of the largest foes you’ve faced, and you can’t run… No matter how far or how fast you run, it’ll reach you sooner or later… But it was really an enjoyable fight!

I essentially picked Fire Emblem 7 (just called Fire Emblem in the west). I think I picked it for favorite final boss since it is essentially a series of boss fights. Anyway, Fire Emblem pretty much always have the best finales ever. Fire Emblem 4 and Path of Radiance (9) are my favorite Fire Emblem games very much because there is an incredible amount of passion throughout the entire storyline and their final chapters are almost as good as Fire Emblem 7’s. Fire Emblem 7 is not even a game I like very much, but the finale was just too awesome.

I would’ve gone with Star Dream as well, and most of the others I can think of are more subpar or average, but there’s one that I think stands out; Halo: Reach.

Reach has just about fallen. You helped the Pillar of Autumn escape the planet before it gets glassed and thus started the downfall of the Covenant, though you had to stay behind to do so. Now, you’re the only one left, and the remaining enemy forces are looking for you. Your one and only objective: take out as many of them as you can before you fall. As you take damage, your visor gets cracked and elements of your HUD disappear, like your ammo. Eventually, you WILL die, and before you do, Noble Six (the player character) takes out four, maybe five more Elites in a cutscene before they finally fatally wound him. He lived a badass, he made you feel like a badass (unless you were playing on Legendary), and he died a badass.

For me it’s a tie between Super Paper Mario and M&L: Bowser’s inside story. Both have kick ass music and a boss that is evil because evil. Super Paper Mario info under the spoiler Super Paper Mario being a battle against a dimentio and Mr. L fusion (Mr. L being an evil Luigi) and the music for the battle is titled The Ultimate Show (a remix of the dimentio, Mr.L, and Chaos Heart themes) Bowser’s inside story info under the spoiler That dark bowser battle was so good (if a bit cheep at some points.) and the music was the exact kind of music that should have been playing; the name of the music that plays during the fight is fitting too because it really is The Grand Finale all in all, both awesome ends to two already amazing games (both of which you should definitely play if given the chance to do so.)

Hey look, I’m alive!

So fairly simple one. What game had the most impressive visuals?

So, some games sell themselves on being a truly visual experience. This is not a bad thing, especially if it’s meant to show off something about a particular system. So it’s for this reason I sincerely regret not picking up Child of Eden.

This game sold itself as being a spiritual successor to ReZ, another game that sold itself on its visuals. But often times games like this fail because they have nothing to back up their awesome visuals.

ReZ and, the focus game, Child of Eden both have awe-inspiring sound tracks that not only enhance what the game is presenting, but the music is timed so that the visuals and the sounds all match up. I’ve found myself just smiling in the dumbest possible way as I watch this game.

Child of Eden draws you in to save an awesome futuristic version of the internet from a corrupting virus. The beauty this game presents to you is more akin to games that draw you in in a way of just letting you lose yourself in it.

Another part of the reason why I think it works so well is because this game does a pretty good job of reminding you just how awesome Earth is when viewed from space. No joke, this game reminded me that we are just something so tiny in an infinitely vast universe.

Any game that can do that is worthy of praise.

Brutal Legend was a lot of fun, but there’s about a third of the game missing; the last half of the game feels very manic and disjointed. I was disappointed by that.

Alright, I know we have terrible people in here. How do you like annoying opponents in multiplayer games?

BIRD.

BIRD IS THE WORD.

(I’m positive that both Soul and Yawn will get this.)

There are somethings in League of Legends that astound me as to how they got passed the PBE (Public Beta Environment, the place where they test stuff before updates) in the state that they are in.

Long story short, Quinn is stupidly dumb, and I LOVE it.

So, Quinn, the Wings of Demacia, miss bird bitch, miss “Oh hi ADC, oh, now you’re dead. :D”
Quinn is an Assassin champion disguised as a ADC. (ADC stands for Attack Damage Carry. They basically build full glass cannon and need to be protected.) Typically found everywhere BUT the bot lane, where the ADC’s usually are, Quinn is easily one of the most infuriating Champions to play against in League.

And I LOVE it. I am a terrible person and I LOVE being THAT guy.

There are exactly TWO things about Quinn that make her annoying, her first ability, and her ultimate.
Quinn’s Q is simple. She throws Valor, her bird, at the enemy, he stops on the first enemy and deals damage in an area. BUT THEN if Valor’s initial hit was a champion, they have their vision removed for 1.5 seconds. So the basically see shit and can get ROYALLY screwed.

Quinn’s ultimate is even funnier. Basically, Valor picks her up and Quinn begins flying across the map at mach 5. Good luck escaping me.

I have numerous people tell me that I’m a terrible human being for doing this and my response everytime? “Yes I am, allow me to kill you for the 15[sup]th[/sup] time.”

I love being a douchebag in this game. :smiley:

while playing overwatch i have noticed a lot of people get salty when you play mei well.

theirs just something so satisfying with locking a enemy behind a wall without any of there teammates and watching them get blown apart by your entire team.

If we want to talk about annoying opponents that can be fun to play as, I’d say Illaoi from League of Legends, aka. miss “I have my own tentacles to wape you with.”.

Her kit is designed so that if the opponent gets caught by her in any way, they are screwed. the main draw is her tentacles that she periodically spawns on nearby walls and all of her skills work off that, some more than others. The main point of annoyance is if you get hit by her E, which steals your soul just so then she and her allies can beat it silly. And if you try to run away and/or they completely decimate it, you get hit with a debuff that not spawns her tentacles near you, but they ACTIVELY ATTACK YOU! And her ult can capitalize on the pulled out soul;
what her ult does is she slams the ground, and anyone caught in the circle of the dunk spawns an Invincible tentacle near her, and if she had pulled out a soul and it’s caught in the ult? It counts as a champion, which means she can summon up to as many tentacles as there are people in a team fight +1, which makes her second ability, which calls the tentacles to attack a target, much more dangerous to get hit by, and those tentacles hit in a rectangular AOE, so just one can hit more than one target.

The only way to counter her is to be fast and to take her out quick, which can be a problem in teamfights if there are more than one tank on the team.

Overall, she is a fun champion to play as if the enemy has no clue how she works or gets her fed early.