Girthbound 1.8 The Heavy Update

I can’t get the game to run, I followed the installation guide to a tee but I just get an error window saying that the emulator has stopped working when I try to load the game. And before anyone asks, yes I did rename the original Earthbound smc file to Girthbound, and I am trying to run the smc that came after applying the patch with Flips, Girthbound1.7.

2 Likes

Just a question before we get to finding out why the emulator doesn’t work. Are you using the version on here, or the latest one from Twitter? The one that’s on here is sadly extremely outdated, and version 1.8 has been up on the creator’s Twitter since the 3rd of November of last year. If you can wait one or two weeks (no guarantee that it’ll be that long) you could wait for the next version to release, which is under play testing at the moment.

First of all, which emulator are you using? I use Mesen-S, and have used Snes9x, which have both worked fine. I tested applying the patch with flips (v1.31), on just the NTSC version of Earthbound, without renaming it prior to patching it. Then I just left it as the automatically assigned name “Girthbound_v1.8 - The Heavy Update.sfc”. This started up fine for both of the aforementioned emulators.

2 Likes

I was using the version here, 1.7, and as for the emulator, I am using the one that was provided from the download link, Snes9x.

1 Like

The patch tends to bug out when applied to a rom in the .smc format. I would recommend getting one in the .sfc format. That’s what I did when I had the same problem you’re having.

2 Likes

Review time! (v. 0.8 - “The Heavy Update”)
WARNING - - TEXT WALL

My playthrough clocked in at about 22 hours, in which time I savestated every modified enemy I found.

To be entirely honest, I had never done a complete run of Earthbound, meaning the fetish mod is my exposure to this game. Incredible.

A few notes as of the moment -

• The listed version on f.WG is 0.7, which includes none of the enemy spritework. find it on Spiffy’s Twitter/FA.
    *Version 0.8 is current.
  • If you want to save your time, ignore the above bulleted point; version 0.9 is being tested and will eventually release (and by the looks of it, some existing sprites are changed again.
  • If you’re too impatient for that, join Mr.Spiffy’s Patreon and become a tester.

A few graphical errors here and there, stand-in sprites, etc. I wouldn’t recommend playing Dusty Dunes or beyond for the moment as it is mostly unfinished from there (Aside from the Guardian hieroglyph sprite, Great stuff, 10/10.)

8/10, has great potential
-Marc

7 Likes

I started playing it. Is there any art of the main characters?

1 Like

In terms of the playable characters, they’re the main OCs/Sonas for some of the people that worked on the game. They all have plenty of art done by their respective owners. Some of the NPCs belong to different people, but I’m not sure who they all belong to. I know Spiffy’s family is just some of MrSpiffy’s other OCs and Naju was made by batspid2, but that’s about it.

3 Likes

Looking through the defs and foulders, though, I am a bit disappointed that the giant rat boss got replaced entirely. I was actually kinda looking forward to seeing what kind of fat monstrocity he’d be.

1 Like

Any possibility that this could run on original hardware?

1 Like

Test it. It would work on a Wii with an emulator at 240p on a CRT

2 Likes