How to Mod Fetish Master: Tips for setting up a developing environment

Make sure that the characters have the correct stomach volume details set.

Besides that are there any errors or anything thrown by the game in the console window?

1 Like

no, thats kinda part of the problem.

The genes i added for stomach stuff are in my version of the abdomen gene set

There are other genes i add that are used for bodysize calculation stuff in other parts of the dna template too.

1 Like

Specifically the last 4

1 Like

Sorry that this is only tangentially related but what would be the best way to try and make a few mods compatible with Jimbobviiā€™s custom 0.99 version and with each other? I got sad that I had to choose between mods because of all the compatibility issues and I figured I should try to get a version that at least starts getting it all together in a way that makes sense. I mostly just delt with compatibility issues as they came up with the dev tools but I wanted to make something I could actually share (with premission from the mod makers).

Iā€™m guessing shoving the base game into some sort of version control, then slowly integrate one mod at a time and ensuring that things donā€™t break one another? Iā€™d imagine some mods like Nostradamusā€™ mod and some of the smaller ones would be mostly straightforward but stuff like Juxtā€™s old mod or Material Readā€™s mod would be an undertaking.

If any of you have ideas for the best workflow/practices Iā€™d appreciate it.

The biggest problem with making my old mods and the other mods compatible are that my old mod changes how stomach volume work. Nostā€™s mod relies on the old exponentially expandable stomach and mine had a hard limit. basically some events would never be able to be triggered.

If someone were to adjust the values, they would work. But then the content wouldnā€™t really match up. Alternatively, someone could make items or content that would stretch the max cap volume a lot, they they would also work together again.

With Maternalā€™s mod, they distribute the base version of events, which can cause problems if you install it last. Ideally youā€™d install it first. best practice for content mods is to make events merge down, and have you new content added to the relevant event when itā€™s called. My old mod mostly does this outside of a few places.

But generally speaking, Maternalā€™s mod should have any other incompatibilities besides that. Maybe. I donā€™t think they did anything with stuffing. You might need to mess around with some events. But thatā€™d be reasonably minor stuff.

Regardless, the big compatibility issue between my mods and Jimā€™s new version of the base game is a result of the organā€™s being hardcoded. There is an override, as I understand. But i just havenā€™t gone through the effort of figuring out how to handle that. The other mods should just work with Jimā€™s version? I donā€™t know if Maternalā€™s mod messes with any of the organs. If it does it would have a similar issue.

2 Likes

finally i understood what the error wasā€¦ the organ updating button does only work for one worker, so i need explicitly to click on one of them. i thoughed that was a global updater D:

I donā€™t think iā€™ve ever used that button.

1 Like

ok, now i know what the problem isā€¦ little question: how do i change the organs a template takes? it seems like i can only change the genes, not the organs.

oh man, why is anything just so messyā€¦ i changed to jux code and anything stops working. my characters dont gain weight. sigh

Sorry, internetā€™s been in and out the last few days, and honestly the organ code is a mess for a number of reasons.

Organs are ā€˜loadedā€™ in DNA by a gene like abdomen.exists, breasts.exists, etc. with a value set to 1.0 - when a new character is created, if abdomen.exists has a value of 1, the abdomen organ will be attached to the character.

The problem is exactly which abdomen organ is loaded, because how organs are loaded varies from version to version.

In older versions of this game (0.985x and lower), the engine would just look for /gamedata/organs/abdomen.organ and load that, doing nothing if the organ didnā€™t exist.

In order to make the game run more smoothly, h.coderā€™s 0.99 code integrated the organs into the game engine itself, which meant anything in the organs folder was essentially just for reference or for adding new organs.

The Legacy version keeps the built-in organs, but only uses them if the relevant organ in gamedata/organs isnā€™t found.

My customized build currently works similarly to the default 0.99 version, since it uses its own custom organs and I didnā€™t want anyone accidentally overwriting them - the stomach organ here works fairly similarly to juxā€™s, I think, in regards to limits and stretching, with a bit more flexibility, but none of it is written into the abdomen.organ file because that file isnā€™t used. If you build from source, thereā€™s an override feature for that, but I havenā€™t pushed a pre-built version because I want to finish writing documentation and implementing the quest journal system first.

Currently the best way to replace the abdomen or other organs in any non-Legacy version of 0.99 is to save it under a different name (for example, stomach.organ) and then update the relevant DNA files to use it (a gene called stomach.exists with a value of 1, remove abdomen.exists). For 0.98 or Legacy, simply overwriting the old abdomen.organ should be good enough.

1 Like

ohhhhhhhhhh ok. thats also why there was no organs in the dna templatesā€¦ now i understand. well, at least i am now understanding what the problem is. the main reason why i am using Jux version is to limit the amout of food who is consumable hard instead of using the puking mechanic.

The reason i didnā€™t want to use the puking mechanic is because there is no feedback mechanic for it. There is no way to easily do a ā€œwarning proxy is feeling sick, are you sure you want them to eat that?ā€. Thereā€™s no stomach fullness bar on the left. The puking in the base game is justā€¦ Oh you puked and the only way to know that is to go back to the management screen. I figured the straight up denial system I built was a step up. At least youā€™re not wasting resources.

You didnā€™t ask for that explanation. but there it is i guess lol.

1 Like

i guess your mod is more story oriented then my plans who are more economy oriented. you know, my feedee stream task is made in a way that you are now consuming your own food instead of just buying it out of nowwhere. the idea is that you have now many jobs for your workers and you need more to manage them, like baking and such stuff. if your feedee consumes all the food in just one night regardless of how much he/she can actually eat, then this kinda misses the point, you know? :smiley:

PS: the mistress mechanic from @jimbobvii should be really helpful for my plans :smiley:

What version of java JDK and Netbeans did you use to compile Fetish Master? Iā€™m trying to compile Fetish Master 0.98.legacy-1 and Iā€™m currently using Netbeans 16 and JDK 19.