I think it’s clear my last project died. Biting off ore than I could chew, and a lack of motivation being the main reasons. So much of the next update was half done and i cant bring myself to work on it. Not everything was a waste. I learned a lot of how i want things to work, even if I went a bit overboard. A lot of stuff will be re jigged and brought over over time.
So I’ve started a more ambitious sounds but probably easier in scope project. You’re reading about it right now!
This projects will be me rebuilding a ton of the content from the bottom up.
I didn’t want to post anything about this till i had some things to show - however minor. I’ve decided to post now because i did a big piece of the puzzle in the last week.
- Re-coded a ton of organ code.
Without going into the nitty gritty details, i basically completely ripped out all the abdomen code and re did it from scratch. Did a lot of new formulas to make weight gain more accurate-ish. The most controversial change probably:
*Digestion now happens once a day at around 1 am.
Fluff wise it’s to create the moment of waking up fatter. But really it was to speed up the whole calculations, and it prevents an old bug. It also cleans up old wonkiness, and in the process i actually made the weight gain significantly more accurate. Like previously, there was this whole weirdness where it would take days to digest a meal and that comes from how the math calculated stuff per hour. I mean it makes sense to break up digestion over time, but it’s a complicated thing to make interesting, and quick, and realistic. IRL pretty much what ever you eat gets processed in the same time. I tried multiple ways to make it better, like adding percentage processing, but that just exacerbated some of the problems.
food gets digested all at once
I super simplified my stomach stretching code to be probably a million times faster, and with the once a day change fixing a bug, you can now use water to stretch your stomach (cool RP change) or just bloat. And since digestion happens once a day you can walk around with a bloated belly without fear of it shrinking every hour.
I simplified stretching and digestion and removed throwing up. Instead you simply can’t eat more food past a certain point. No more wasting food because there is no easy or quick or convenient way to check fullness. Figuring out how to do this was a neat little trick.
Like i said, weight gain is now more accurate.
Previously the game had two big inaccuracies.
- 1 calorie used to make you gain 1 gram of fat. That rate is just wrong - and i don’t blame h.coder, figuring out formulas for this shit isn’t easy. I did the math. Suffice to say, calories make you gain a proper amount of weight.
- The way the game handled fat distribution was wonky. Calories would gain you generic.fat, then other organs and bodyparts would take that, do some math and add additional fat based on fat.body_part stats(to represent fat distribution). It would magically add fat too. If you increased fat.belly it would automatically add new fat, and vice versa. Again, the math is hard, and i don’t blame the solution that h.coder came up with.
Now, what it does it add up all the values of the various fat.body_part stats, then determines what percentage of the whole each part represents, then allocates fat based on that. So when a potion or something increases belly fat distribution, it just makes new fat get added to each body part. There are some things I’d like to tweak about loss and what not, but this is good already.
What else did i do?
- New bodyparts to get fat!
Example of new description screen and new bodyparts
I know there are grammar errors, but they exist because templates capitalize the first letter in them and i don’t know how to make that stop.
I realized I don’t have a butt description there. It will be on my to do list.
But along with those parts i also have measurements for those parts so when you proxy measure themselves you’ll get a bunch more stats than bust, belly, and hips. Fun stuff.
- Oh! A small thing but long requested feature is in now: round bellies vs bellies with folds. It’s just a simple random stat from 0 - 100 that determines how round or rolly the belly is.
I did not mess with the boob stuff aside from the size calculations because that is an adventure i don’t want to detangle yet.
- I improved a lot of stuff behind the scenes.
- I have detailed comments for all my math and formulas.
- Variable names are easy to understand.
- things are most standardized now. organ.fat now always refers to the fat volume of the organ. organ.size is now always the distance them most prominent curve of fat is away from attached bodypart. belly.size is how far the belly sticks out fro ma flat abdomen. Breasts.size is the same thing. I don’t do abdomen.anything for belly stuff anymore. It’s belly.fat, belly.weight etc. Also most stats have a organ.total_weight stat to represent organs that can get bigger for multiple reasons(milk + fat for boobs). Now the weight calculation, and measurement stuff is mostly centralized to the abdomen.organ file.
Lots of behind the scene stuff is already out of the way.
- The world is new
I’m porting the whole game into my Belly Literary Universe. So fantasyish to near future sc-ifi.
Ps - go ready my long, slow paced wg story series here: https://www.deviantart.com/juxtaterrestrial/art/Kelri-s-Gain-Part-1-Get-Stuffed-775161541
It’s got a cool timeline, and art, and everything
So I guess this will be a tie in game now. At least, it takes place 20 years after the story series linked above begins. The world will definitely be more belly focused from the bottom up than the original was.
But i felt constrained by the original setting, so I’m doing my take on it now. It still has the framing device of proxies and what not, but it’s justified a bit differently.
Tonight i made a map of the town - not like a physical one, just a node map of the areas. It’s got circles, lines, and shit handwriting.
I also spent tonight stubbing out all the nodes. So you can walk through it all, but there is no content yet.
Other big things to note:
I cut combat entirely. The engine is absurdly not suited to it, and what i implements was super kludgy and awful to add new monsters to. This world does not have monsters. There is no need to go into the wild and punch animals. If there does end up being combat, it will be narrative based.
I’ve completely cut the sex out temporarily. I want to redo it from a different sort of perspective that may take into account mobility and accessibility type stuff.
feeding is not back in yet either. I need more characters around for that to make sense. But i may be bale to port that directly? Who knows.
Anyway here is my release checklist:
- Descriptions for every node/location.
- Some kind of interactions at places | ways to make money | ways to spend money | fat scenes
- A variety of foods to consume and get fat off of
- At least stub out a few notable characters
- Butt descriptions
- Tweaks to measurements a bit. I want to see if i can get a sort of proper bra sizing calculation going that includes band size increased due to backfat. I might add calve and lower arm fat as well? But i don’t know how much demand there is for that. I realized i also don’t have a proper hip measurement done yet. So that to.
- Basic dialogue for getting fatter and what not. But this i may put off for the update after release.
- Tweak weight loss. There are some oddities that most people would probably never notice and i want to see if i can deal with them. Life for example, if you change your weight distribution it messes with how weight is loss. As it is now, weight is gained and lost from the same body parts proportionally. if that changes, you’ll get to a point where it will try to subtract fat from a part with no fat. Right now it just throws away that weight loss. Which I’m fine with, but it might be nice to find a simple solution. The most accurate way would be to collate that lost lost weight and redistribute it excluding that zeroed weight. But I don’t feel like doing an algorithm to do that. I might do a flat rate weight loss system, where they lose weight from some areas faster than others, to represent bodyparts with stubborn weight gain people complain about. I don’t know for sure what i will do yet
I have a lot of ideas for stuff to do after that, but i think it’s best if i focus on these goals
Thanks for reading my plans.
Seriously though, go read my story series: https://www.deviantart.com/juxtaterrestrial/art/Kelri-s-Gain-Part-1-Get-Stuffed-775161541