Juxtaterrestrial's Total Conversion Belly Mod devblog v1-2-0 and later

More screenshots:

Sexual skills

Hobby skills

Social skills

And that’s the skills i have in mind for now. Doubtlessly as development comes up more will be added. But I feel these are pretty core. There will obviously be more sexual skills in the future for more fetishes.

3 Likes

A couple more screenshots:

A skill check success:

Just notices a small typo. Fixed it already.

The same check failed:

Annnnnd what you see for this check after failing it. Skill locked example.

And what the check unlocks:

Again, the art is by the mighty @clinko_clinko

you can find the full piece on his DA here: Myre's Icecream by clinkoclinko on DeviantArt

After I did this I realized that I also have to actually do the code for the “level up unlocks relevant skill checks”. That shouldn’t take long to do.

Then all the skills systems should be finished, aside from content. Next is experience stuff.

6 Likes

I LOVE the shape this TCM is taking. (pun pseudo-intended, considering the new sign for Myre’s.)
I found FM’s anime placeholders/artstyle a bit… generic, and this feels right up my personal alley.
And the new skill system? Nothing to say. Just absolute baller.

You’re doing some mad science here, Juxta. I may not be able to donate to patreon but I will support this mod VERY verbally.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you’re excited!

I tend to like a style a bit more ‘realistic’ than most anime art. I don’t have a problem with it, it’s just a preference. I don’t know when more art is coming for the game. it’d depend on me getting enough income to maintain art coming and an artist willing to work repeatedly on the same project. I want to maintain a similar style.

Having BG art would be cool too, to have recognizable locations. Lacking that i might make a map with a bunch of “you are here” type stuff.

Hell, i might even take another nod from Disco Elysium. In the game the map you get is an old tourist brochure that the game adds location data to. It’s not street level accurate, but gives you an idea of where things relate. That might fit better for the nebulous nature of the game.

Time for an update.

Been working on the experience system. The terminology I’m using fro ma player perspective is that you collect experiences, then you set the proxys to ‘process’ them mentally. That takes some amount of time, then experiences become a part of the proxy’s identity.

Interface fun:
You can now browse the experiences you’ve completed, and unlocked. You can select one to process, or deselect it. You can select another experience, and it will deselect the current one and select the selected one. And all of this happens pretty modularly, so it will be easy to add new ones.

Experiences properly research over time in the background(processing), and complete properly. All the while modifiers get applied and unapplied as appropriate, and the bonuses from those modifiers are also applied and unapplied to the skills as appropriate.

In fact the other thing lacking from the experience system is content, tutorial content, and accompanying events to acquire the experiences in the first place.

Here are some screenshots:

Experiences are listed and assigned a number button(proceduraly) to save space for more buttons. List is very short now because I’m still adding content, obviously. Clicking the button brings you to a place where you can manage what you want.

I wont share every iteration for every little change for every state. But here is an example for when you’ve selected an experience, have processed it for a bit:

And here is it when completed.

This format is again, basically ripped out of Disco Elysium. When you unlock a thought in that game, your presented with some thematic text. A description of the problem or idea in your head. Then when you finish the thought, it gives you more details: How the main character’s mind process or resolved the thought.

Brain tourism:
Brain Tourism is the name of what is basically going to be the tutorial experience. Babies first experience. Its about how the proxy is going to be other of the few people to experience the same sensory information as them, and the existential thoughts about that.

it does not give any lingering modifiers like other experiences will, but it does give you a bunch of skill points to alter your proxy a bit at the start. or to reset failed skill checks.

On writing:
The skills and experiences are all written as if they’re talking to the proxy. They refer to you. This is to simplify the writing but also to create the effect that you’re an observer, picking up on these impulses in their brain. Ultimately it is their brain, so why would they address you, the player without good reason? This is also to cut down on required variation based on different proxy personalities. That was a huge thing that killed my ability to finish my previous project. Each skill having their own voice, coupled with them only ever addressing the proxy(or their other skills) as internal thoughts seriously cuts down the amount of iterative writing i have to do (and the coding that comes with it).

What’s next:
So now, apart from fixing bugs that rise up, my goal is to start working on content. First up is writing the interactions with the tutorial character, so the player can get acquainted with the systems and unlock their first experiences and skill points.

Then there is iterating on all the systems. More skill checks. More experiences. Characters to talk to. Also detailed help menus.

Things are shaping up. The experience system took a lot of wiring to get working, but i think it should be very robust. Thanks so much to @jimbobvii for helping me work through some seriously annoying issues in the last couple weeks.

3 Likes

Today was a bleh day for writing.

So i did a little bit of feature creep that will help with making the game a little bit more immersive.

FM_name_pronoungif

Displayed above is a GIF showing the interface i made for inputting the name and pronouns for the player character - as in the disembodied mind that you play as.

It has kind of bothered me that there is no good way to refer to you, the player character. It makes writing awkward at times. That’s ultimately the reason why i added it.

I’m working on the tutorial content. And it just didn’t make sense for the researcher who rescued your mind to just not know your name?

With this I can have characters refer to you the player character. That researcher. And now the proxies can refer to you by name instead of just with ‘you’ or ‘master’. It also allows me to clear up the difference between you( the proxy) and the you(player character) when I need to.

What is useful is that i can easily repurpose the text input for other things (like an option to rename your proxy).

The next milestone with this is adding custom pronouns. It will be trivial to add. And it wont add writing work down the line, since I have the data stored into a set of pronoun flags. I’m also going to add a preset list of a few names/pronoun combos for people who want to skip this.

Content in process:
As I mentioned, I’m currently working on tutorial content - Introducing the game/mod and its mechanics. There is a bug before you get to the actual management interface where if you go through too many events it throws an error. So instead, this sequence takes place the first time you go into the world with the proxy. It actually kind of fits nice, because my plan before was to make the tutorial force you to go talk to the researcher guy. That bug forced me to add it in this process.

So now, the first time you use your first proxy, you’ll input your name an pronouns, then get a small talk to your proxy for the first time scene, some prose about your first time in their body, then a conversation with the researcher about the skills and experience systems.

3 Likes

Following up from yesterday, there is now an introductory scene and some text tutorials laying out the mechanics for skills and experiences. I’m not sharing a screenshot because it’s not all that interesting.

I need to edit the text and get rid of a plethora of spelling and grammar errors, but you now get some more lore and guidance right at the beginning of the game.

Big chucks are skip-able with warnings to those who would TL;DR the mod then come complain/bed for answers.

I plan to add extra optional tutorials in game as well.

2 Likes

I’ve made another audience survey to learn more about what my audience does or doesn’t like. You can fill it out completely anonymously if you like. Fill it out here: https://forms.gle/NX3VWX8D5ZSiqGW76

4 Likes

Bleh, update.

Lost a week of work because i tried to slightly adjust my sleep schedule. My brain punished me for that.

Anyway, added a list if pre-populated names for you to select if you don’t want to type one out every time.

The list is basically the names that came off the top of my head. It’s trivial to add different names, so if you want to add yours when you get your copies of the mod, then you can do that.

3 Likes

Progress has been mixed the past month due to a bunch of stuff. But work has progressed. I did a bunch of writing for the point of contact character for the player - the doctor who is responsible for the player character being around. It’s world building and philosophical stuff and not worth sharing pictures of. That is mostly done and just needs to be formatted and checked for grammar again.

I also want to tr a new way of displaying long bits of dialogue, where one event file can slowly add text (like how Disco Elysium does it). But i just need to get the energy to do that.

Besides that i had another picture made for the game:

It’s for another character’s you’ll be able to talk to as part of a questline. Who is she? I can’t tell you. No spoilers for now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Things have been slow, as i mentioned in the last update. The holidays always mess with my routine.

Anyway I’ve got a small update to show off - a structure/UI type change.

One of the things I always want to avoid with the game is walls of text. They’re hard to read and so I want to keep thing brief and reasonably concise. And well organized. But honestly there is probably going to be times where some wordiness will be needed. Conversations for example.

To get people to care about characters, sometimes you need to talk to them for awhile. You need to be able to see their thoughts.

I can do this with sequential events in Fetishmaster, but that can be annoying and feel super disjointed. And what if you want to re read the last bit of text. If you’re lucky I’ve programmed a way for you to see it again. if not? Too bad i guess.

So I think I’ve found a way to improve on a few of those things. Again, I’m taking inspiration from Disco Elysium.

For longer bits of conversation, it will display a bit of the conversation and add a continue button. Clicking the continue button will send you back to the same event, but display a little bit more of the conversation. This, I hope, should make long bits of text easier to follow.

It should also allow me to give the player chances to interrupt if a skill pipes into a conversation with something relevant.

Example gif:

progressive_display

Now that i have the template for this figured out, it will be easy to make other long bits of text do this.

5 Likes

i downloaded the current version but even after double checking, the game wouldn’t start up. i do not know where i went wrong.

Did you install the mod or just download the mod?

Also do you have java installed?

my dearest apologies. it turns out i downloaded the wrong version of FM.

however i did end up fixing what i messed up and i can say that the mod is great so far. im quite excited to see how it will evolve.

1 Like

Hey it’s been some time hasn’t it. So, the holidays were rough and most of my work on the mod has been stub work and planning stuff. But this last month I’ve been getting back into the groove of writing again. I have a new story series launching next week and each of the four stories I’ve written so far have a character illustration to go along with them!

But you’re here for game content. I don’t have anything interesting to share, sadly. But I do have a small change of plans.

I created a new "Behind the scenes’ tier for Patreon. For people in that tier and above I’ll be releasing (via my discord and google drive links) content I wouldn’t normally make public. This includes story outlines, rough drafts, brainstorming documents, and relevant here: beta builds of the mod. The understanding is that these builds will be broken. Unfinished. Buggy. But I figure some people might still be interested and may even have valuable feedback for the project in progress!

Basically I need money to pay the bills so this will go towards that, but with more money available I’ll also be able to invest more into getting custom art for the game.

I have a few ideas for stuff that would be valuable and interesting.

Like I showed in my last updated post I’ve been playing with events that slowly reveal relevant text to the player. I have ideas for a few scenes in the strip club where the player watches dancers or gets a lap dance. I want to have very simply, sketchy four frame animations for a few girls that would advance as the player advances the text. So like a woman swinging her hips while dragging her hands up her side, or a short belly rub scene. Obviously I’d need art for that.

I also want to create a world map to have the mod easier to navigate, but for what i have envisioned, to make it good, I’d want some custom assets made.

It would also be nice to have at least some character art for some of the non-random NPCs that you’ll interact with.

I don’t plan on making a beta build available this month - I’d like to get some more consistent work done on it before I offer that. But I do hope that you’ll consider supporting me while i get back on track, if for no other reason, you also get access to behind the scenes content for my non-game writing as well.

Patreon announcement post here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/62083738

Thank you for you continued interest and support!

2 Likes

Hi. My apologies if this isn’t the right place for this kind of question, but I’m trying to get a better grasp of the file locations and calculations for body stats and other objects used by this mod to give things like arm and leg measurements (e.g., from the measurement.tpl file), along with all of the other new systems you’ve implemented to model the body more precisely and realistically than in the original FM.

In this particular instance, I wanted to try editing the tape measuring template to provide more values for things like chest, butt, etc. measurements (and maybe potentially add in entirely new tracked “parts”), but I’ve been having trouble finding where the calculations for “leg.total_measure” and “arms.total_measure” are located in the files, despite searching pretty extensively; could you give me any pointers on where I should be looking, or any documentation to the same effect? I haven’t touched FM in a while and wasn’t very familiar with how it works under the hood in the first place, but if I and others can get more acquainted with how these systems are set up in the game files, it would make it much easier to iterate upon the baseline you’ve provided.

By convention, functions in the organ files are usually used to update body states and measurements on a regular (usually hourly) basis. Since those appear to be stats tied to a character, I’d start by digging through the organ files.

@jimbobvii is correct. All the measurement stuff is calculated in abdomen.organ.

It has pretty detailed comments too as to what i’m doing and why