Kriss, Day One

Hey everyone!

I’ve been screwing around in the Quest Text Adventure tool for a few months, but I recently decided to finally get serious and make a quick “Proof of concept” style game.

I was, obviously, inspired by the great Mollycoddle’s, namely her “Fat Camp” game.

Anyways, lemme know if you get stuck on anything or get a weird error- I tried to make everything work through button presses, so you shouldn’t have to resort to typing.

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/unniyjir-0_eg0rqbnmrgg/kriss-day-one-demo

Seems pretty solid, as far as event triggers and navigation!

Since I don’t know the engine too well, I don’t know if this is a GLITCH or not, but I think there’s supposed to be three cans of beer in the mini fridge? The cans are always referred to in the singular, unless you take one, at which point it tells you that you won’t carry two of them. When you drink that can from your inventory, another can reappears in the fridge. And then if you drink the second, you get a third one from the fridge, at which point it repeats the line about not carrying two, despite that one seeming to be the last one?

Again, I don’t know if that all amounts to a glitch, or just polishing the game up, but I noticed it as being an odd occurrence.

It’s a good start, I think! Excellent characterization of a spoiled brat, for sure. The body of the game will be worth looking forward to, I think!

One note-- on the starting screen, we see “You are adorned with” followed by blank space.

[quote=“chillmistressfreia, post:2, topic:889”]Seems pretty solid, as far as event triggers and navigation!

Since I don’t know the engine too well, I don’t know if this is a GLITCH or not, but I think there’s supposed to be three cans of beer in the mini fridge? The cans are always referred to in the singular, unless you take one, at which point it tells you that you won’t carry two of them. When you drink that can from your inventory, another can reappears in the fridge. And then if you drink the second, you get a third one from the fridge, at which point it repeats the line about not carrying two, despite that one seeming to be the last one?

Again, I don’t know if that all amounts to a glitch, or just polishing the game up, but I noticed it as being an odd occurrence.[/quote]

Yeah, when you start stacking too many variables at once, the game tends to start getting buggy, at least for someone like me with bad coding.

So that’s not a glitch, that’s actually very intentional- the idea is, when you drink a can, it leaves your inventory for good, since it’s been drank. But giving things different names (IE “can of beer” vs “canS of beer” means they’re logged by the engine as two separate objects. I think I’ve figured out a work around, but a lot of this engine is basically “babies first coding”, so it’s a lot of trial and error for me, someone with no skill whatsoever in code.

[quote=“Kostromama, post:3, topic:889”]It’s a good start, I think! Excellent characterization of a spoiled brat, for sure. The body of the game will be worth looking forward to, I think!

One note-- on the starting screen, we see “You are adorned with” followed by blank space.[/quote]

Yeah… That’s been pointed out several times on my DeviantArt- I honestly just didn’t finish writing the description. That’s on me.

I have my own board on the main page, please direct any other discussion there!