Mulling over ideas for a WG Rogue like... thing. Need some help deciding on exactly what I want to do.

I was already planning on doing stuff like that in terms of the Hygiene stuff. As for the fail state, yeah, I’ll have to think about that stuff.

Just a thought:

Another solution may be simply to keep a short list of events that have recently been used and eliminate them (or down-weight them) from the possible selections on a first pass. When an event is chosen it is added to the head of the list and the oldest dropped off the end if the list is full. If no events are left to chose from after eliminating the recently chosen ones, then select again from the full list of possible selections.

I just have a feeling that mutating the list of events itself to change the weights may be a fragile approach. It also has the advantage that the list of events doesn’t need to be part of the story state as it remains immutable. This would also mean that a new release can just contain a new/bigger list of events that remain compatible with old saves if you keep the events out of the story state, and initialise them on start up.

The plan is to down-weight them. The implementation may work differently than I described, but the point remains the same. I don’t want to completely eliminate them because I do want the same even to be able to have multiple times without having to go through all of them, but I don’t want it to constantly happen.

Regardless, thanks for the other idea of how to do it. I’m not 100% sure how I’m going to do it yet, or if I want to use the idea, but I appreciate the input none the less. Some of this stuff I’m going to have to work out in development, but it’s always good having a plan going in.

Well, I’m getting excited about this!

hey if magic is a thing why not have the option for the amulet to be picked up by some kind of witch or mage. they can detect the influence better but gain like 2x the points when your finished and can gain much more weight due to magic making life easier

This is another thing I was planning on making a thing. One of the traits for a host would simply be “mage” or something along those lines, which would give access to events involving their own magic, as well as increased suspicion.

2 Likes

Alright, after messing around with a couple of things for a bit, I decided that coding it all from scratch is probably going to be my best bet. The core of what I’m going to be doing doesn’t seem like it’s going to be very complicated since I’ve been trying to keep everything as simple as possible, and it should let me build on it if I want to make things a bit more complex. I also just don’t think any of the tools I’ve seen out there are going to work very well with what I want to do.

So, I’ll be making it using C#. I’m not a fan of some of what Java does, and C++ is a bit much for this whole thing. I’m not going to be able to start this thing in earnest for a couple of days, but it should be soon. The problem is that I don’t know how long it’s going to take. I’m going to be working on this thing amidst school, work, and some of my other non-fetish hobbies, so this could take some time. For that reason, I won’t be making any kind of devlog thread or anything like that.

So, while I’m working on it, I’ll keep posting in this thread to check up on things and give some updates/ask for feedback. I’m always interested in hearing the ideas you guys have, and I’ll make sure to ask about things if I’m having trouble deciding on something (probably UI, I’ve been kinda flip-flopping on that).

Anyway, there’s an update from me. Hope everyone stays interested while I get cracking on this thing. I’m looking forward to it.

6 Likes

Good Luck! Don’t be afraid to share alpha builds with us!

Turns out this might take longer to get to than I expected… I wasn’t going to do the game jam, but I came up with an idea that’s too good to pass up.

So… yeah… Look forward to that.

5 Likes