New developer working on two expansion themed games

Hello, I’ve been on this site for a while, looking out for interesting games that have been turning up, but I’ve decided to start contributing here. I’m not particularly experienced in coding or art, but I’m trying my hand at a couple of different projects. The first is a twine game with practically no coding at all, so it’ll be pretty short, just some characters of mine you can expand at your leisure through various methods. Not sure what I’ll call it at the moment, but its basically just to dip my toes into making games anyway.

The second will be a renpy game, and will be much more ambitious, but still doable (hopefully). Through a miraculous creation of magic and machinery created by a bored mage and mechanic, you can explore their world and socialize (wink wink) with the residents. Essentially, it’ll be a dating sim with some expansive rewards if you can get close to some people. I’m not sure if I will be adding NSFW to this or not, depends on how much attention this gets I guess. as for the romantic content, it will be largely focused on male gay partners, with possibly the option to have a polyamorous relationship if you play your cards right.

I’m fairly confident that I can get this working on my own, but help through feedback or advice regarding coding will most definitely be appreciated! Let me know what you think about it!

Edit: Forgot to put this in original post, but these will be furry games, sorry if your not into that.

6 Likes

One universal tip I hear a lot (because it’s good advice!) is that whenever you start a project in a new engine/scripting language you’re not familiar with, start by doing several smaller and simpler projects in that engine/language. Your first stuff isn’t too likely to be good if you’re new, so make the warm ups stuff you’re not invested in being good.

Another suggestion is that the first game you mentioned does sound like a great warm up, so why not give that one a shot in renpy? I’ve seen similar stuff to what you’re thinking of done in it (Xyster3k is a good example), so it’s something to keep in mind. Of course you could also do them both in twine as well though the VN part might be a bit trickier (but if you use sugarcube you could probably get something decent working). Or maybe you could try making that first game (or a smaller version) in both and see which one you like better?

The final piece of advice I can give is don’t be afraid to fail! It’s easier said than done of course, but messing up is one of the best ways to learn a lesson, especially when you have nothing to lose. Play around with different engines! Explore! And as cheesy as it sounds, make sure you have fun!

3 Likes