Open Source RPG References

So after years of telling myself I was going to try, I finally started to learn coding (mostly in C#). I was wondering if any programmers here had an idea or two for open source RPG code that would be good as a reference. I did try to Google for some, but I don’t think I know enough to necessarily tell “good” code from “bad.”

There is a great online tutorial that walks you through making a simple RPG step-by-step to get you introduced to the basic concepts and then adds in a few advanced items. I’ve found that’s also kind of the drawback, though. I can put together something really basic with a couple nice features, but trying to do something more complicated makes me feel like I’m running in circles.

I have known enough programmers to recognize that tearing code apart to move/rearrange things is inevitable. I also realize that there are often many approaches to the same thing with their own advantages and disadvantages. Even so, I get the feeling that I’m trying to “reinvent the wheel,” as it were. I just feel like I’m trying to take a different approach to the same ideas an awful lot.

On the one hand, it’s definitely been a learning experience. On the other hand, I can’t help but feel that I’m spending a lot of time where I don’t necessarily have to spend it. If anyone has a good point of reference and could share it, it’d be appreciated. If there are a bunch, even better!

The code for my game is open source and up on github if you’d like the link to the repository, though it’s text-based and done in web development languages (php, mySQL, jQuery) so I’m not sure how much help it’d be.

Thanks for the heads up on that. If you don’t mind sharing, I’d be appreciative. I’m sure it will be helpful. I’m finding that, even across different languages, a lot of the core principles stay the same for object-oriented coding.

https://github.com/CrypticHistory/wgrpgv2

Many thanks! This is definitely helpful. Right off the bat, I picked up some ideas for how to approach the overall setup with classes.