Paladin Princess - An Inflation/WG focused RPG - Chapter 2 Episode 1 (0.2.1)

Is there any way to find clues for the puzzle in game? My dum dum brain can’t figure it out.

Currently, no. I’m considering adding one though since many people are struggling with it.

Interesting game, looking forward to more.

My biggest grip is the RNG, rpgmaker games like this have a problem at the early levels of the game; where the player character is too weak to easily handle multiple enemies at once especially if you miss any of your attacks. Its now the game of how many rounds does it take to kill one enemy and how many rounds do I have left before I die.

Example the three rats in the tunnel, if each rat hits you your taking about 120 damage a round, it takes on average 5 to 6 rounds to kill one rat given that you don’t miss any of your attacks, so by time you killed one rat you’ve taken about 600 points of damage by then, sure you can heal during those rounds, but they deal on average 120 each round and you heal about 130 averaged, and unless you find the cowgirl milk before hand for the extra MP your only going to have three heals for that fight. This is a balance issue, games normally have fights with multiple weak enemies rather then multiple normal or strong enemies and they wait until you have more party members to help deal with that extra needed dps. I get that RPGmaker is not the best for this kind of detail but find the balance of too easy and too hard. My suggestion would be to either bump up the PC’s damage or increase how much that healing spell heals for, or better yet give the player a skill to use, you can get to level 5 before the demo ends and you don’t learn any new powers, and you generate TP and can’t do anything with it, give the player a skill that either deals more damage then the normal attack or hits every enemy on screen

Sorry for the wall of text

1 Like

Yeah, I will second the complaints about the rats, it very much is luck-based to beat them, even with the extra MP and heals.

Given that you are controlling the stat and level gains pretty heavily, you should be able to check how the game is balanced.

There may be a glitch with the puzzle box (unless the clown is being sarcastic with his congratulations message). When I turn all the orbs to blue and then talk to the clown he says “congratulations” and tells me to bring him the item inside the box. However, when I go up to the box, it’s still locked and Elaine says I need to solve the puzzle.

Truly a Herculean effort, nothing short of amazing.
Wish you all the best regarding your work on the 2nd Chapter!

2 Likes

f7

mind blown

||it takes a screenshot||

The orbs will turn green if you solve it and Elaine will mention it.

Some QoL suggestions:

It would be nice if the portrait switched sides when your character goes behind it. While the transparency helps, it’s still pretty hard to spot things in the environment behind the character portrait.

The combat animations are also painfully slow right now, which slows down the pace of the game tons. The option to choose faster combat animations would be extremely helpful, if possible.

On that note, another suggestion that’s less QoL and more game design. The miss rate seems to be really high. Often I miss a target thrice in a row just because the game felt like not letting me win.
Please, only give your attacks a chance to miss if it’s a special case, like a debuff, or at least turn the miss rate down. Misses are infuriating, especially with slow combat animations like in this game.

3 Likes

Okay, so, this game is super fun so far. But as embarrassing as this is to admit, I cannot figure out the puzzle for the life of me. I tried all sorts of combinations of 16 red and blue orbs. I thought the boxes arranged in the top left might be a clue because two squares would mean 16 total orbs of either color but that hasn’t worked. I even thought the “I’m counting on you” thing might actually be a clue, I tried making letters like “YOU” but that also hasn’t worked. I am going on an hour trying and I think I’m about to give up lol. It seems like others have had trouble but eventually figured it out, maybe I’m just dumb but I advocate for more of a hint.

4 Likes

Nah, you aren’t an idiot, it is just a bad puzzle.

5 Likes

The puzzle is super weird, I agree more of a hint should be given because not everyone knows what it is asking for. Answer below.

The answer to the puzzle is the roman numeral for 16. X V I
The I has to be in the middle of the switches also.

I didn’t really have a problem with the rats, but that is because I did a bunch of the side quests first. It seems weird that the rat dungeon is pointed out super early. For context I think I went into it being level 4 or 5. Maybe want to have the paladin lady have a line about doing other quests first before hand.

5 Likes

Omg, that should have occurred to me sooner lol. Thank you for the help, I really want tp progress because the game is genuinely great so far.

That actually did occured to me, just didn’t thought it worked because it’s easy to make the V wrong and the I could go on any of the rows, vastly increasing the time wasted.

The V shaping issue was something that I ran into, but I had totally dismissed the roman numeral solution altogether before coming back now to see it was the right solution.

On a different subject, I found that if I pray to the moon goddess in the chapel after talking with the king in the throne room, the screen darkens a bit and stays that way. I can only fix it by going out to the spot that lightens the screen in the front hall by the public archives.

4 Likes

Heads up, if you run from a rat you become soft locked from completing the rat quest :0

Working on fixing those issues now. I’ll have a hotfix ready either today or tomorrow.

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to speed up the combat. It’s caused by an issue in the Yanfly battle engine core plugin and all the online articles about it have been no help. I could turn off the plugin, but that would get rid of custom attack animations and sounds (I.E. Swayne).

1 Like

There’s an option screen plugin that’ll help, and I think I tweaked one of the numbers in it to make mine faster.
For the animations, this is what I use: image
And for the option plugins, these should work:

I’ve got those same values for the animations down, but it didn’t make things run faster.

As for the battle speed options plugin, I did not purchase the bundle that includes it.

If you want a free version of such, there’s a couple you can hunt for, such as this
Battle High Speed Mode Plugin | RPG Maker Forums (rpgmakerweb.com)

I’m unsure why your game FEELS slower than most games here past that, though. Did do some comparisons with other games like Roundbound, and the timing isn’t too uneven when I tested them together. It might be performance issues from the big file sizes and such.