[POLL] The Next Game Jam & Considering Adding an IF Category

I am happy to see so much discussion on this topic with many good points as well. Since I have not be able to reply to anything yet I might as well start from the top:

This is a very valid point and is one of our major worries when it comes to implementing a system like this. Spam like that is the main reason we are hesitant to implement something like this.

I agree here, the most optimal solution would be a dedicated site. I know for the main site I have been exploring allowing users to embed web projects like you see on flash game sites which would work well for this. The main thing is the plugin is more of an immediate solution till a better one can be made available.

It is but funny enough it is quite popular. Twitch bots popularize this method where the chat can control one PC. That being said I am not sure if one PC is a restriction or not with this plugin.

In the end how collaborative something is depends on how the project is structured and setup. Also, with community based projects a strict test release cycle does not really need to be followed. This can also be helped with automation of certain tasks like smoke testing. Really depends on the setup though.

This is what I think we could support quite easily mainly due to the wiki topics that discourse supports. It is possible that the forums could maybe do something writting.com out of the box but I do not know enough about it to be able to say for sure.

This is not outside of the realm of possibility. I have had an idea for a discord bot for a small dungeon crawl game where the community can craft encounters and add npcs into the game by using data driven design methodologies. My original idea is more to allow for users to be able to setup such things through configuration then crafting the systems per say. This limits the systems flexibility but does make it more accessible to allowing anyone to add content to it.

I think a similar concept could be applied to a twine like application, and maybe we should consider pursuing the discord bot as a prof of concept instead of the IF bot for the forum.

The curated project category is kind of supposed to fill that role for larger projects, and unfortunately something like that is a bit of an admin nightmare as we have to set those groups up manually. We could write a plugin to help automate that but I do not really feel it would add enough benefit to justify the time investment. That admin nightmare is also one of the reason why the curated projects category is restricted.

In reality maybe we should look at setting up open source projects to try to encourage more open source development. That may be more effective.

These are good points that I think we should take into consideration.

That is also a good point, maybe what we should be considering further is the interactive stories aspect of the question.

Our main concern at the moment is impacting the user experience of the forums and that may be the deciding factor.

You are not wrong but you forget to take into account the poll up above. Until that closes we do not know what the interest actually is at least among those who have participated.

That being said you are right which is why we made this post to gauge interest before moving forward with anything.

The browser does tend to be the more popular option mainly due to the convenience of it.

I have to disagree with you a bit here just due to the fact that bots on discourse work a lot like discord bots and they tend to be very popular with the users on those discords. Due to this I think there is a lower barrier to entry here then you might think. A valid point for consideration though.

Ya I can get that. We depend a lot on tagging to organize content by those categories. Right now I think more IF falls under the text adventure tag but the system is quite under utilized we believe. It is possible that it is a UX issue though since the tag video game has to be added to gain access to these tags and discourse is not very clear about that.

That being said you are right about there being so many so a separate category may prove useful on its own.

Thats really cool! I would love to talk with you about what you did just to see how you set it all up.

3 Likes

@grotlover2 Yeah, spam could be a problem. Assuming itā€™s easy to implement, perhaps consider allowing access at certain trust levels? That would weed out most potential spammers? Perhaps allow reading at a low level and then more access at a higher level?

Completely forgot the poll was a thing when I got into the technical side of it :sweat_smile:
I guess that is another complaint people often lever towards devs. When we get into the technical details, we forget everything else.

Sure!

Iā€™d love to show you, even though I donā€™t have much done right now in the web side yet.

As I said, I really suck at web development. After I left uni I started working mainly with data science and nlp, so I am taking this more as a chance to learn the ropes of web dev than anything else. You will probably be much more knowledgeable than I am.

Since we were all thinking of doing something kinda towards the same end, if @dingotush wants to hop in too, we might as well put our heads together into one single project. Wouldnā€™t that be fun?

1 Like

I appreciate the reply, the feedback, and all, and I especially appreciate the kind words in response to my own input. Thank you, and best wishes!

1 Like

I must admit Iā€™m curious about what youā€™ve done @Ano. Did you get as far as writing any of the theory up? You may have missed it, but there was another topic: Your preferred engine for public I.F. which may have had some bearing on this one. It would be cool to be able to help out with something, and thrash out ideas. Iā€™m not sure how much direct help I could be - itā€™s been a while since I did any real server side web development (and by a while I mean Java EE was a big deal, and PHP still stood for Personal Home Page), and Iā€™m not exactly flush with time as I try and keep my head above water in these times (Yaffaif will remain my major dev project).

Iā€™ve been meaning to post about this for a long time but never got around to it so Iā€™ll just leave a little preview here. Writers, consider using ink script for interactive fiction. You wouldnā€™t be able to incorporate them seamlessly into the forum but writers can easily make exe files for users to play on their web browser or computer. Itā€™s way more flexible than writing.com although itā€™s not collaborative but the script is built so that you can avoid an exponential number of branches while still making the story interactive. Check it out here Writing web-based interactive fiction with ink

1 Like

When I raised the question of if the site could host IF content, it was not done with the expectation that the forum itself would be the location of the content. There are limitations to forum software and platforms that might be best avoided by having them on the weightgaming domain but not necessarily embedded in the forum itself.

Interactive Fiction can be fun and I would love to see this community help people making site-related content migrate ā€˜hereā€™ from less accommodating platforms (eg; writing dot com), but there are limitations and design questions such as those dingotush raised that would need to be asked first.

Not exactly.

There are two main types: text-adventure and choose-your-own-adventure.

The text-adventure is played by typing in commands to progress through the story, akin to ā€œThe Oregon Trailā€.

Choose-your-own-adventure type is played by choosing a pre-determined option from the others. Like a click-and-play game. Instead of typing it out, there will be prompts or highlighted text, or just plain buttons that have certain options.

I am no expert, but from what I have seen those are the two major types that I have come across. The choose-your-own-adventure type could be a welcomed addition to the game jam.

The games are developed using a program, not just forums. I am using Twine 2.0 for mine, while others have used Renā€™py, Quest, and there are a few others that I cannot think of at the moment, so there isnā€™t a ā€œcommunity playthroughā€, it is per-person.

I hope this helps shed some light on the IF topic!

Regardless of game type, I think all games should be welcomed to the game jam. As long as it plays like a game and has a story to tell, why not?

2 Likes