Random idea I had for a visual novel

I have to disagree with you on the last line there, The_King_of_Cookies.

I would say that a statement can still be found offensive by a general population, even if a few think it is okay. For example, if you say “People form (INSERT PLACE NAME) are pricks”, and one person says it is okay, that doesn’t mean others won’t find it offensive.

I do get what you are saying, and I think being allowed by someone from the area is a great idea, but there are still limits to what you can say, even with approval. At least that is what I think, feel free to disagree, I am no expert.

1 Like

Here’s another way to think about it. Let’s imagine a situation in which I punch you in the chest. Let’s also imagine that my punch is so weak that it doesn’t hurt you one bit; you barely feel a thing. No one got hurt, so it’s okay right? Wrong. The fact that it doesn’t hurt you doesn’t automatically make it okay for me to punch you in the chest. Painful or not, if you’d prefer it if I didn’t punch you in the chest, then common courtesy dictates that I refrain from doing so.

As an Aussie myself, I’d like to say mate, that Australian is not a race. Unless you mean the people before the rest of us got here. There’s a lot of variety in terms of what an ‘Australian’ can be, not unlike the USA except without chattel slavery (the ‘kanakas’ did happen but most were forced out).

Long as you’re tip top with that I think I can pass as well. Pet Drop Bears are optional.

I’d like to avoid arguments about what’s offensive or not, I’m sorry that this idea I had a long time ago is causing arguments. It was not my intention to offend anyone, so please do not use this post as a place to debate political correctness

Well that’s a little obvious, there always are things you can’t say and stereotypes you need to avoid in situations like these.

For one example, the term “Sheep Shagger” is used quite a but over here when describing New Zealanders, but that’s not an okay thing to put in a game. That’s something you need to avoid.

another example, is giving in to racist stereotypes, you don’t want the French character dressed like a mime or saying baguette all the time.

My point was that they should work with people from their respective cultures to make an okay character who doesn’t come across as racist or a stereotype.