Round Railroad: v0.2.0 Valleyville Update

Windows defender is known for being over protective. However, you should always do your own research. There are sites out there that can help identify malicious software and files. Virus Total for instance, sites like this can help you determine if it’s a false flag.

3 Likes

ok thank you ill use the virus total in the future. that being said it does say there is 1 thing that is Suspicious for something called Forcepoint ThreatSeeker. Should this still be fine when everything else is either clean or unrelated?

I couldn’t tell you what your seeing. VirusTotal - File - 1f8a176a3f7c40fa378f7da95dbdc3f41e85efd3bca93d5f176950e596102f73 I get nothing from the file. I also don’t use windows defender.

1 Like

Another top tier game from @Round
Thats Why He Is The Goat GIF - Thats Why He Is The Goat - Discover ...

5 Likes

100% sure, I downloaded the game fine.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m glad you are all enjoying the Round Railroad demo! I got a lot in store and I have something I’d like to share!

I created a form for you guys to help me design the conductor character. The conductor is going to be created according to traits that YOU can vote for! The form is in my discord server which I’ll attach below. Please join it to stay up to date in my projects and throw in your vote in the form!

5 Likes

Liked what was there, but a suggestion if I may:

As you already have (Koikatsu?) renders of the various major characters, have you considered cropping them down and using those as the character portraits? This would, in my opinion;

1. make the characters more distinct, as RPGmaker portraits tend to be rather samey,
  2. increase cohesion, as now we have three versions of these characters (per weight stage) their 3d render, the 2d collage style portrait and what little of their feagufes we can see from the sprites. Sufe this might increase the disconnect between the sprite and ghd portrait, but it’s not like it isn’t there with the fat-face portraits and and the fat sprites that we’ve all seen used to greag effect before
  3. if feeling fancy, this could also allow more diverse facial expressions, as you could pose the head
2 Likes

I like the idea, but it would be a difficult to implement. With normal sizes the Koikatsu heads would work rather fine. However, once I start making them fatter, the heads really start to struggle with the added-on weight and look a bit off up and close. They’re easy to make, but not easy to make fat- that’s one of the downsides using the models.

2 Likes

If that is the case, and they start to “look a bit off” as you said, then you’ve done quite impressive work with the higher weight class renders back in Roundbound, as going through that and looking at the renders was what originally sparked this idea.

1 Like

Are you intending on using Koikatsu all the way through, or was it more of a “proof of concept” to try and visualize the characters? Would you consider trying a different tool to make the character renders in the future?

1 Like

The one thing I wasn’t a huge fan of in this game was how extreme some of the renders were. Like how the girls looked after the one meal felt a bit much. I get it if that’s what y’all are into tho, just wanted to offer my two cents.

1 Like

One concern I have with the Koikatsu models are that in Roundbound they different body parts clipped together at larger sizes and formed a homogeneous blob, so leaning more heavily into them might not work out super well in the end. The dialogue has definitely improved though, so that’s something to look forward to.

2 Likes

It’s the best method I have to make full-body shots of characters. I’m not too talented with art, so without a dedicated artist koikatsu is easily the fastest and most effective way of creating external models and scenes.

Valid, I might tone down the one scene a little- but I know people like stuffing scenes so it was worth a shot.

Exactly. I can only do what I can with the resources I have. I’m going to be careful with Koikatsu for larger sizes, but for smaller sizes it still seems to work pretty well. Especially showing more details a sprite cannot show.

4 Likes

Great demo, love the concept of using premade 3D assets mixed in with the RPG sprites. I loved the environment design as well!

2 Likes

Sad there won’t be any Roundbound for a while, but I’m looking forward to this new game the demo was amazing and can’t wait for more

1 Like

Really great initial outing here. I don’t have much to say about it that hasn’t already been said, but I really appreciated the inclusion of a male protagonist as an option. Furthermore, I thought the usage of music throughout the demo was great as well. I liked Roundbound a lot, and I’m looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Trains!

5 Likes

Hey all! It’s been awhile, but I got some special news for you all. Same thing I did for Roundbound, I’ll run through some of the changes and developments I made with my project!

Day/Night Cycle:

First up is the day/night cycle. This one is rather small, but there have been some big improvements! First up are the visuals. Depending on the time of day, there will be a different tint on the screen aswell as different sources of light having different strengths- this makes some areas of the game look stunning.

Second, the times have been adjusted! Now- they may seem a little funky, but I wanted each time to have it’s own period to shine. Dawn lasts from 5am-8:30am, Day lasts from 9am-4:30pm, Dusk lasts from 5pm-8:30pm, and Darkness lasts from 9pm-4:30am. Different events on the maps, such as enemies and harvest spots, will reset once a full day has passed. Furthermore- each day has a 20% chance to spawn rain! Rain provides a nice visual effect aswell as causing some changes in maps~

Working Quest log

Side Quests are going to be a large part of the game. Picking which Side Quest to start, and which ones to complete, will move along the main story! Sidequests can be completed in almost any order in the town that you’re in- and completing one will grant rewards (obviously). Some will be basic kill quests, some will require the player to get a high-score in a minigame, and some others are… A bit more lewd.

Updated Battle System

This one is a lot more simple, but a lot of people liked and disliked the system! Mainly, the mashing events and the basic attack events. Basic attacks will now require the player to follow specific arrows, and magic events will now require a clock event. I can say- battles are a lot more fun with the new quicktime events.

Also- who is that Cow in the party?

The Next Party Member

Introducing the last member in the party- Bianca! Bianca is a bit of a hardheaded girl, having quite the short temper. She’s pretty passive about a lot of things and likes to solve problems with her fists- unlike the more timid and polite Delaney. She can speak to specific animals and happens to have two stomachs; quite the powerful ally to have on the team!

I hope you all enjoyed the news! Please keep enjoying the demo and give me any feedback you have. If you would like to help with art, or just want to talk more about the game, please join my discord. Thank you!

22 Likes

when will this version be available?

2 Likes

No idea. I’d say I’m roughly 40% done, but progress is moving fast and I’ll have a bit of free time to work on it. I’d say 2-3 months! (which is a fast deadline for me)

12 Likes

a weight gain game with trains? steam trains?
a blessing, a true blessing

5 Likes