Skirjasaga - Tale of a Heifer (Chapter 1 PUBLIC Release)

i also gave this game a fair shake and i was mighty impressed with what you managed to pull off here! the combat QTE’s are certainly engaging and i like how it was introduced in the prologue. i was severely impressed with UI manipulation in the seer boss fight. the writing and characterization have clearly had a lot of thought put into it and the Norse setting is really fun. I am glad to hear that the difficulty is being adjusted to make the gameplay more accessible as well. partial successes sound like the correct way to go and will remove a lot of frustration to more casual players.

the kink portion is also incredibly well written, and makes good use of sound effects and sprite changes. the character is cute and having her react to the changes to her body is what i like to see. i am NOT the biggest fan of using weight gain as torture/punishment as i generally like to see girls be happy, but that is just my personal preference. either way the scene is well constructed and compelling. the stuffing sequence is also AMAZING but i want to echo the sentiment that mashing the up key as hard as you can, ended up making me more frustrated than willing to indulge in the kink.

i want to address the tone of the game however. the prologue is engaging and incredibly well written but it does NOT get me into the mood of playing a kink/weight gain game. the tone of the prologue is dark and serious and deals with heavy themes that made me question if im playing a kink game or not. when i DID get to the kink content i still had those heavy themes in the back of my mind and it personally soured the experience. why am i indulging in this fetish when this other more serious narrative is happening in the background? one that seems to be MORE important? I find these themes of intense familial tragedy and strife are at odds with the light hearted and indulgent nature of the weight gain fetish. however imma be honest and say its probably because i personally prefer lighthearted themes to go along with my big lady kink game.

this is an exceptionally strong start but i am hesitant to come back if these elements continue to clash with each other. i would definitely come back for more if the kink side of the story took precedence but i completely understand if that is something you do not want to do. thank you for the game and i wish you luck!

12 Likes

I just wanted to make a small review because while others have made plenty of good points on some negatives, I’d like to take a moment to highlight some very big positives that I found here.

• Custom Artwork: So much custom artwork added in really breathes fresh air into RPG Maker. While I appreciate that the wonderful free pack of fatty sprites are out there for those who lack artistic talent, their use starts to run smooth after a while. Really appreciate the dedication to your project to do so much of your own work.

• Custom Mechanics: To build on that, amazing that you went the extra mile to add in minigames and mechanics with their own custom art to add depth and uniqueness for the gameplay. That’s laudable in any solo indie dev project, but for a niche fetish game no less? Bravo! And sure, balancing and tweaking of some of it (like combat) may be in order, but I can tell you that you’ve made a great base here. I was floored with how much nuance was packed into the seer fight, like the spider webs pulling the combat sprites around. Absolutely AAA level dedication there.

• Great Writing: Ignoring any complaints specifically relating to the difficulty of balancing writing “serious” literature and fetish literature, I found the writing to be superb. The serious stuff (i.e. most of the demo) was very well done and engaging, with fantastic world building. The fetish stuff definitely activated all the right regions of the brain, and was so masterfully woven into Nordic lore, which is a very cool angle.

All told, this was a very refreshing and promising start to a new project and I am very excited to see more! As for any critiques, I think the discussion in most of this thread over the adjustment of mechanics and @clinko_clinko’s very good review say all that I would have to add - and again, I wanted to make sure you got some strong positive feedback on this very impressive demo!

3 Likes

^Just an excerpt but I’ll respond to the overall point. I really expected to hear this critique sooner or later, but I’m very happy to hear that there were elements of the game that you enjoyed regardless.

My approach to writing and tone in this game takes the philosophy of going through different motions, showing the sweet and the sour, the good and the bad. I personally think that an element of tension, or even danger adds a lot to a scene - but I respect that there are others who find that off-putting. The kink-free prologue and relatively slow dive into the fetish is a manifestation of my inner conflict to want to tell a story that I find compelling, and wanting to produce a banger adult game. :smiling_face_with_tear:

My intention is however to keep the game much more kink-focused now that these elements have been introduced! I’m also going to start doing more scenes that don’t involve the level of coercion of Atla’s content. I don’t want to give away too many specifics of my plans, but the characters will discover their own love for kink, and there will be happier scenes that follow it.

4 Likes

This was great. Love the story and fetish content it’s well written and I look forward to seeing where it goes. I think the darker elements with the seer make sense story wise from how her personality and goals are and I appreciate that you’re not afraid to lean into it (as I found it enjoyable). The boss battle with the seer is interesting and unique. I think some of the general enemies going forward would benefit from the flare and unique qte features like the seer. Even if it’s just some flare on their “tell” moves and what not. the music and sound fx are great and definitely added more to the immersion. The custom art looks great too and it’s nice to see some different art and sprites in a rpgmaker game.

The combat feels much better and the update visual on the circle asset for combat feels noticeable. The only enemy in the game that felt off (and I’m not sure if this was meant to be much harder?) was the elite bear. It looked to me as if the combat was untouched and tweaked for it. Now I base this off of just my observation and feeling, as I didn’t fight them in the first version only the bears outside. But the attacks are insanely fast as well as having really high damage to the player overall. The elite boar by comparison has been toned down like the rest of the combat. So, I assume this is an oversight.

I think it might be a good idea to add a time period to the beginning of the game within Nora’s chapter (probably after the chapter title screen). Then do the same in Sylvi’s part just to setup the fact that it is (presumably 10 years) later in the timeline. It’s obvious when your introduced to Nora again that time is much later but I think it would help add some context prior to that.

This was in my opinion the exact type of balance changes needed for the game and I look forward to seeing where the story goes. Great job on the bug/patch fix.

1 Like

v0.1.2 Difficulty adjustments and bugfixes
Added a small patch to address some additional issues that came up after the last one. I’m starting to become reasonably confident the game is in an enjoyable state with no glaring problems - so I’ll start working on content for the next update soon!

• Slightly lowered the general difficulty of the CON minigame
  • Reworked Atla stuffing scene: less minigame checks and drastically reduced difficulty. Dialogue tweaked to fit these changes.
  • Added a brief warning if the player tries to fight the cave bear at level 1.
  • Bugfix: Loading in to the Atla fight should now load the events to their correct positions.
  • Bugfix: Implemented the combat overhaul changes for the soldier fight in the prologue.
6 Likes

Did anyone else get booted out of the game while talking to Nora after the seer makes Sylvi fat? I’m not sure if that’s the current end of the content or something

1 Like

That’s definitely not the end of the current content - when you get to the end it should be marked with an end screen. I’d say try running through it again, and note down what’s going on if it happens a second time. It’ll be easier to troubleshoot if I know more.

Edit: Just ran through it to be sure it worked, and it’s fine on my end. I have to imagine it was a fluke, and a crash by the program itself. There’s really nothing all that complicated about the Nora conversation scenes that should cause a crash.

1 Like

I have just finished the remaining content, though I must admit, I did so on the first version! Well done for getting those fixes out so quickly! — I was intending to write about the combat but it looks as though the solution I would have proposed has already been implemented! — Now I just want to gush about the weight gain and feeding for Sylvi lol. All of the scenes were very well written from a narrative and writing quality point of view AND were wonderfully lewd without being cheesy. I won’t lie, the teasing of the idea that Sylvi may have a lot more growing to do was masterfully done! — I believe I found an uncollectable item on the same tile as a log in the area to the north of the Jarl’s house (Near where you encounter the first brown bear), I didn’t see it in the patch notes so I thought I’d mention it just in case :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wait, you aren’t supposed to fight the cave bear at level 1?
I’ll be honest, I didn’t even realize there was an EXP system until I did managed to kill it.

1 Like

I had this happen to me as well. no clue why. I made a save before hand, and when i got up that point again, it didn’t crash.

Is it possible to beat the seer? I want to know; so that I don’t spend another 1 1/2 trying to beat her?

Kinda sorta.

You can get to a sort of “win” condition but nothing really changes.

Like she congradulates you. but still makes you fat scenerio?

Personally haven’t done it but from what others have said, yeah. It’s basically a hopeless boss fight.

1 Like

The result is the same with some dialogue change. If it will take you awhile to do and the satisfaction of doing it plus the slight tone and dialogue change are enough. I’d say go for it. ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶l̶o̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶.̶

I haven’t even gotten to any kink stuff yet, and I mostly just wanna say this is a phenomenally creative and different system for RPG Stuff than I’ve seen out of RPG Maker essentially ever. Fancy stuff, and good work.

5 Likes

Loved the intro so far, definitely never expected a reality-adjacent norse wg story, so congrats on shattering my expectations! Excited to see what G.U.T:Viking Conquest has to offer (kidding of course)

P.S: Wished more games had a password system incase their dev bricked my old saves, so thanks in advance XD

2 Likes

Okay is this is a VERY good start to game, the story is dark and feel like there was a lot of work put in this idea also I do like it take it time before getting in to the weight gain part also I want to know more about this world, last Combat was hard but thanks to the updates it is still hard but after dying a few time I think I got it down and I can not wait to see were this game is going.

2 Likes

I haven’t try the latest build but I was talking to my irl friends about the QTE of this game and it made me realize something. The arrows used in the rings for combat ie https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvMTY5NjE1Ny85OTkyMjcxLnBuZw==/original/FeAkJC.png from the games itch page as an example, anyone who is colour blind might not be able to see the arrows change orange when the enemy does a feint, other then the spites changing sidways colour blind players won’t see the change in colour, and also can’t see the orange fill up the grey rings

Things to consider moving forward with development

1 Like

I’m strongly considering a colorblind mode, I just don’t know what the best implementation would be yet.

1 Like