Skirjasaga - Tale of a Heifer (Chapter 1 PUBLIC Release)

So this game has been out along while. And the biggest topic among it has been combat in the past. It’s largely all been said before. A lot of the recent posts about combat drum up rehashed things that have been said and responded to in the past. And in some cases could be summed up to a person stating combat is bad with no other meaningful feedback.

With this topic getting a new bump from being checked out and some newer people just discovering the game. Some feedback on the combat really does boil down to people saying it’s bad with little to no helpful input. I think this is likely the reason for the response. Which I can honestly agree with the sentiment but maybe not the approach I would take personally.

Don’t just say somethings bad. Tell a dev why you feel it’s bad. Why you think so and how you would like to see it improved. What works and doesn’t work and why. That’s helpful feedback to the dev.

9 Likes

… do you want to give a reason you’re so proud of your combat?

a reply like that makes me feel “my game is perfect, these haters dont get it” vibes

I feel like you’re ascribing a lot to me.

Some of these criticisms were interesting to respond to, others less so. That being said I do try to keep the feedback I get in mind, even if I find it disagreeable.

I still find the combat brutal and tedious

the combat is a miserable slog

As far as feedback goes this is pretty nonconstructive.

@Krodmandoon gets it.

12 Likes

es normal que cuando yo haya querido traducir tu juego solo para entender lo que decían los personajes (por no se ingles) cuando entre al modo de combate y los enemigos me golpen y me quiten vida el juego se bugue y no me deje continuar en pocas palabras para que termine traduciendo algo mal y el juego lo tomo mal jeje

Was wondering how the next chapter would go character wise? Will be returning to Nora or will we be sticking with Sylvi awhile longer? Or even a brand new character :open_mouth::open_mouth: either way can’t wait the writing and world has been phenomenal don’t see that changing no matter who we control!

2 Likes

To throw in another review among many, I’d just like to say that this game was a legitimately fun experience for me, but in retrospect. As I was playing through the roughly 45 minute prologue (all the while holding the confirm button to make the cutscenes go by faster), I couldn’t have been bothered to care about any of the characters being introduced, or the events that were transpiring. The mechanics tutorial was entertaining (in fact, barring a minor issue that I’ll get into later, the quicktime events are by far a great idea which, I believe, set this game apart from the majority of its contemporaries), but when the characters would start to talk, a malaise would set itself upon me, and I would slouch in my chair, speed-reading over the dialogue as it zoomed by. By the time Ch. 1 had begun, I was fairly certain that I was going to gleam nothing of merit from the game, besides the fun little mechanics, and so I was wading through cutscenes just to get it over with. This would continue until I reached the flashback, and by George, I sure am glad I held out until then, because not only was the scene itself fun to watch (I thought the shot-in-a-shot effect was really cool, great work on that) but the fetish material it delivered was excellent. And from that scene on, the game was actually engaging, and I not only started to have fun, but kept having fun all the way 'til the end. Good stuff! A slow start, sure, but good nonetheless.

Now, I tend to go into these games effectively blind, so I was surprised to see on the forums that people not only had some trouble with the combat mechanics, but that it was a major point of contention against the game’s design. Sure, I too struggled at one point, dropping pretty low on HP, but that was because I honestly wasn’t paying attention, and I was able to recover and continue without any real problem by just paying attention & saving after every fight. In fact, I don’t think I even game-over’d once. Maybe I’m secretly goated with the sauce? No clue.

Some (highly opinionated) suggestions, because there were a few things that did bother me, but I think they can be fairly easily resolved:

For one, and this is obviously the biggest issue I have, the prologue is long, unengaging, and most irritatingly, because this is a demo, all of the setup it’s laying out feels pointless. The more updates that come out will most assuredly remedy this, but as it stands, I didn’t care for it, and wouldn’t mind either a rewrite that condenses the longevity/made the characters involved more fun to read (lots of work, and ‘more fun to read’ is about as vague as it gets, I know) or a skip button (especially since, with the release of different versions, I won’t be able to transfer saves, and will have to start from the beginning again, losing all that valuable time every single replay).

For the people that don’t take well to the combat, I think an easy mode wouldn’t in any way take from the game, and would be super easy to implement. Enemy HP and Damage could be halved with a conditional branch attached to a switch/Player HP, Defense, & Damage could be doubled //OR// the width of the combat circle could be locked at its largest size/the velocity of the expanding circle could be lowered. Regardless, an easy mode would at least abate some of the ire generated from the combat system, as I see the biggest complaints are that people are getting swept by enemies after a couple mistakes. So either make the mistakes harder to come by, or less punishing in this hypothetical easy mode. And leave scripted fights the same regardless of the version for obvious reasons.

And for a hyper-specific suggestion, could you consider putting in some sort of semi-transparent black background behind the combat circles so that they aren’t obfuscated by background elements? The most egregious offense I could find I’ve screenshotted here:

Issue

You could then just invert the colors of the braided circle to compensate, then people like me, who can’t see too well to begin with, won’t have to fight through a dense UI. I made a mockup in paint[dot]net to illustrate what I mean:

Fix Mockup

Overall, good game, great mechanics & gameplay, good writing and some great scenes once it gets rolling, it just takes a bit to get there. I liked the mythology pages strewn throughout the world, too, those were fun to read. Keep up the great work! It’s talent like this that may well make something amazing, in due time.

9 Likes

Fair enough, I could have been more constructive I suppose, but I felt tedious was the best way to describe my complaints - it felt frustrating and much longer than it actually was, and I did give feedback on my issues with how punishing taking damage feels, and the lack of wiggle room on combat timing.

It just feels disheartening to see a dev brush off replies with a one-word answer, it feels like they do not believe there IS an issue, and don’t want to spend any time or energy explaining why there isn’t to them.

If you think the combat is solid as-is, I want to hear your thoughts on this topic.

The final half of Chapter 1 puts the player back in Nora’s shoes.

The prologue sets up quite a few important things for the story, and helps define this game as leaning into a more serious tone as far as that’s concerned. I’ve always been on the fence about an optional skip, but it will definitely be possible to skip the parts of the game you’ve already completed in future updates. At the end of the game you’re given a password to hold onto to skip to that checkpoint in the future.

Skill issue. Also maybe, considering it at the moment.

Consider it considered. I experimented with this approach for the first public release too, but ultimately didn’t implement anything. I tentatively consider most of the minigame assets to be work in progress.

I think the combat is “solid” in so far as it provides a reasonable alternative to the default turn-based system, and resolves its battles quicker than those. I don’t think it’s amazing, or that improvements can’t be made.

5 Likes

Lovely game! Compliments to all who work on this project and if just you High respects, Please take your time and keep up the good work

3 Likes

Skirjasaga - Forest Dungeon Update

I’ve finished an update for Skirjasaga which I’ll be distributing to supporters for now. That is to say, people who have given me money or helped me out with the project. :smiling_imp:

I’ve published a new post on patreon where you can download the game, BUT I would also like to make sure people who have contributed in non-monetary ways or through itch.io aren’t left out.

If you have supported this project, please DM me with an appropriate token of support (such as a screenshot of your itch.io payment) and I’ll give you the link privately. You can DM me here or on discord.

If you find any bugs or issues, please report them, and I’ll try to fix them over the next couple of days.

12 Likes

so how do you get acces if you support in not monetary ways

For those that have helped me out in various ways, helping me solve coding problems, giving me sprites, drawing art for the game or otherwise just DM me to remind me of your contribution and I’ll give them a download link privately.

I got stuck in the first charapter . It seams that you can’t go up throught the vine. Any help?

Could you get me a screenshot of where this happens?

I tested and made sure the game is playable through all the new content, but it’s not impossible that something broke elsewhere.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 114423

However if you’re talking about this vine (the only climbable one I remember) then Nora isn’t able to climb that. You’ll need to go to the left side of the dungeon to get some help.

ok thanks for the help I appreciate that

1 Like

In the first chapter this conversation keeps repeating endlessly for me, in the latest version.
(Where Sylvi tells Nora that she is a hulder)

There’s currently an issue where progressing normally through the first half of Chapter 1 gets you stuck in a loop. I’ll address that in a hotfix very soon!

If you get stuck, but want to see the new content you can go back to the title screen to start a new game (with the password hulder) to get right to the new content.

Or you can use a save editor to change the “Chapter Progress” variable to 109 to skip the broken cutscene. The correct way to progress is then to go back to the great hall.

2 Likes

Alright, edited it
Thanks

What’s in the new update? Sorry if this is somewhere else and I’ve missed it, I’m just curious because I’m considering purchasing on itch.

1 Like

The new update continues the story of Chapter 1, putting the player back into the shoes of Nora as she goes on a quest of her own.

• A follower system, and an important side character and temporary follower.
  • The full town of Kynholt with various merchants.
  • The forest dungeon, a maze of various different puzzles and enemies.
  • A sidequest.
  • A boss with an elaborate kink scene as a reward for beating it.
  • Various new attacks, and some fine tuning of combat and minigames.
  • An optional prologue skip :melting_face:

Honestly a lot of the development of this update went into all the systems that expand upon the combat system and implementing followers in a sensible way. The extra story content should be enjoyable, but it’s not as lengthy as the initial portion of the game.

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered, a significant performance upgrade. The game should run smoother on all systems now. :+1:

8 Likes

Just got through playing the new update for the game and I had fun with the new bits and bobs added into the fighting mix. The rest of this will involve characters in the update. I played this post bug patch

I thought Tilk was a fun little gremlin house gal character that added quite the strong buff in a fight (I wish I knew that before fighting the hard plant fight in the side of the forest for the helmet). The fight with the Urdwater was nothing to complicated but had enough variance in their move selection where my brain was entertained and the kink scene at the end for the vision of Sylvi was a chef’s kiss with the additional sprite for Tilk after all of that. All in all I had a fun experience.

2 Likes