SoftFoxxo's Unfinished WG Platformer

Yeah, it just loops for now! Sorry about that. I’m working on more, but this is just in my free time.

Would be cool to have customizable controls. I would like being able to use a WASD JKL control system as it’s the one i’m the most used to (hell, even an arrow keys ZXC/ASD would work for me, current control scheme is a bit too awkward).
So far the game seems pretty nice, physics work well and I really like the replay feature, it’s as if it’s encouraging me to try to speedrun (best I could do was 19) and I wonder if you could expand on that for future levels, like a reward for playing it fast.

1 Like

Got the tutorial in 18!

Managed to get a 17.
There’s a very precise spot you can jump from so that you won’t hit the wall on the ledge if you immediately jump as you land on the first platform in the very first section, and I think that saves a lot of time. I bumped a bit too much on other walls on the level so I was kinda surprised when it actually worked. A 16 might be possible now that I think about it.

Edit: It seems that if you play fast enough to finish the first section before the camera can go back to the start during the replay, it’ll start off at the second section and will desync with the platform at the last section. Not sure what caused it.

1 Like

I absolutely WOULD add customizable controls, but right now it’s a little tough on my end. It’ll be there at some point!
I’ll add in a ranking system once the levels are more complete. I think they should be longer before adding that, because it would add an actual challenge to it, lol.

2 Likes

The replay plays your “trail”, so it’s going to desync over time. This makes it less dependent on the inputs, and more on where you’re at. Think of it like sliding a picture over a table - there’s no logic going on with the trail, so nothing will react to it. It’s why the bubbles won’t pop, the springs won’t animate, and platforms get ‘missed’. I wrote it to be easier to work with, and it lets me loop the trail instantly.

1 Like

What if there was like a Super Sonic final boss battle lol.

That would be a giggle. We’ll have to see what any future forms look like before I can joke-speculate, though…

I finally got a chance to play it, and it is a good game so far with what it is so far. I keep losing the race since I’m bad at getting on top of the bubbles XP And I seem to get stuck next to the ladder when I’m heavy (since I’m guessing Heavy form isn’t able to climb ladders). Also, noticed that I turn red if I hit a bubble from underneath, is that suppose to indicate that bubbles would deal damage if not jumped on top of it in a future update? I do like the cute characters you have as well!
I’m interested though, do you have jump buffer and/or coyote time implemented of any sorts? I only ask since their two platforming crucial mechanics that a lot of tutorials don’t mention.
The part I didn’t like much is the last spring near the end. It is hard to time correctly since I have to wait for the screen transitions :\ IF your not holding the jump button when landing on them. Went back to your game while writing this post to observe it again. That could be a helpful hint for the player.
Also, if you need help with keybinding options, I’ve already implemented it into mine and I’ll be happy to share my code (since we’re both using gamemaker). :3

Same as Kanto, when you get to the ladder, you can’t climb it. I can’t tell if that’s meant to be a cutoff for the demo or if it’s a glitch or something.
Just to be sure, I tried every platformer trick there is, like trying to shinespark up there, or seeing if I can do a fat belly bounce on the ground to go higher, etc.
If that’s the end of the demo, I’d probably recommend doodling a quick “YOU’RE AT THE END” tile to slap at wherever the end of the demo is, and just move it through the game as you work on it.

Heavy isn’t supposed to be able to climb ladders. I’m assuming the levels looped back, and you still ended up as Heavy form because it never reset! Bubbles ‘hurt’ you in that you get put into your hurt state, but they won’t do damage. The red coloring is to show that you can’t get hit again, because my outline shader breaks opacity (I’m doing a trick for doors that hides that, lol).
I added a jump buffer AND coyote time - I made them relatively short (like, 3 to 4 frames), but it was enough for it to help, I think.
The keybinding options help would be great! Shoot me a DM anytime, 'cause I’d like the assistance. Last time I got keybinding options working, I had a lot of issues with coupling and it was a mess.

1 Like

It’s an oversight! The game loops the levels when you finish them all, but I forgot to make it reset your form back to normal. It won’t matter when the next update is out, because it’ll kick you back to the hub.

2 Likes

A new update today! I had help from Kanto_Ruki for the code on re-binding controls, so now that’s something that’s forever in the game! Change up your control scheme as you like in the new, updated levels and the new boss fight (featuring Longcriercat!). When the game loads for the first time, it’ll bring you to the options ‘stage’ where you can fully customize your controls, choose between icon types for help hints, and make the screen size bigger (go too big, and it’ll reset to the smallest size).

Have you tried to implement attacks that make use of the player’s body weight, SoftFoxy? You know, like a ground pound? Also, I’d love to play as a nekogirl (that kinda counts as furry).

Yeah, that’s already in! As Heavy form, you can roll down slopes by pressing down on them, or ground-pound by pressing the Action button in the air. You have to use these abilities to complete the second level.

Thanks. Maybe you could impliment other furry OCs in the game. :wink:

Normally I’d say yes, but it’s out of the scope of this project. I’ve been adding other furry characters as cameos, either as NPCs, for challenges, or bosses. However, adding extra playable characters would add more overhead than I’m willing to work with. I’m perfectly fine with adding more forms, since only two (normal and Heavy) are the only playable ones at the moment, with more planned already.

Granted, I said before that re-bindable controls weren’t something I planned on, but I WILL say that if there’s any extra playable characters, they’ll be worked on LAST. It’ll be easier that way.

sorry for saying this but I think the second level is hard wit the timing and the wall jump, I but I am the only one think this

2 Likes

No problem! I went and updated it just now to Version B, which fixes that bit of the level. Sorry, I made it WAY too precise originally.