Spacethumper but 3D and industrial/western

I tried this and I quite liked what I saw.

The third person - first person swap is a really nice way to get around the issue I see of some third person shooters where aiming can be an issue due to a lack of a clear line of sight between you and the thing your shooting (or mining in this case).

There are some problems I noticed;

You can click way faster than the animation of the pickaxe shows, this isn’t too much of an issue but it makes the metal drill a bit less useful as a result.

The menu closes up after every placed building, this makes rapid construction annoying, particularly for barriers.

And lastly the return to main menu button on the pause menu does nothing when you click it.

Still though, taking a 2d game and making it 3d and having it still function well is always really cool to see in motion, and I am excited to see where this project goes!

Also if you’d like some inspiration for some space western designs, I’d take a look at Wild Gun’s art style, that seems the closest to what your trying to do.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!
The first person is mostly because it would be too much to add extra animations for all the weapons in each weight stage and there would probably be lots of clipping. The menu button thing seems to work only in debug so I’m gonna check that.

A promising start so far! The extractor startled me a bit when I first placed it so maybe make that a touch quieter but other than that it was a good demo.

11 Likes

Alright, so here’s the new update!!
Now it feels like an unholy mix between spacethumper, rdr2 and tf2 engineer gaming.

6 Likes

Can’t seem to play it. Every time I downloaded it and ran it, it always crashes

1 Like

needs bodyshape options(pear, apple, strawberry, and barrel/average should be fine)

1 Like

Would be really hard to do, but maybe.

2 Likes

It’s been a while! New demo dropped, with sentries, suit upgrades, longer progression, intro and an ending!

3 Likes

Really cool demo, I just checked it out and had fun playing. Also, I absolutely love the gun gameplay. Clicking once to chamber a round and then clicking again to fire is way too enjoyable for some reason haha! Really good stuff so far, keep it up.

1 Like

I just tried out the new demo, looks great ! The game works, and as of current version it’s more of a tech demo, but I’m really looking forwards to how the game develops. Only complaint I have is the movement feels kind of stiff

The last demo (demo 3) had a bug with the head blend shapes. It’s now fixed on the patch 1. Also will be adding character customization next update.

So, I’ve been working on the custom character thing, and it’s pretty much done, but it has too little options.

Screenshots

character editor

in-game
Captura de pantalla 2024-05-12 143719

please tell me if any of you want a head shape added. These ones I had for another project, so it wasn’t too hard to get them in the game, but i’d like to make some more.

2 Likes

Dax and Tauma (the new playable characters) from Spacethumper 2 would be fun!

2 Likes

Added an option for characters without breasts and gator heads
imagen_2024-05-12_184439550
(note that you can also have gators with breasts and non-gators without them)