Surviving, a WG and Expansion Game (Discontinued)

Just finished the demo and i have to say i really liked it! Can’t wait to see the what happens next!

1 Like

Great game thus far! I love the dialogue between the computer AI and the main character and Greg is also a lot of fun as well, definitely made me smile at their antics. Story progression is good, main character is a lovable doofus. The addition of dialogue options in the last Jen scene was also interesting and made me wonder about the possibility of branching dialogue options in the game.

Also, the DAZ renders are pristine and amazing, the expressions/body language sync up perfectly with the dialogue and are just icing on top of the already great writing. Not sure how difficult it is to animate with DAZ but I think that would be a cool way to do the expansion scenes but the sequential pics also were great. Jen’s last scene was great, the only thing I’d suggest adding is sound effects like her belly growling, burping noises etc. but of course that is more of an artistic preference/decision.

My main frustration while playing was the frequency rate at which a battle with Bot drones was triggered. I understand the impetus as they are relatively easy to beat and will drop “currency” scrap metal and health stims, but it was a little too frequent for me, making it kind of frustrating to travel at times. I did really appreciate the fast travel back to the Lab after defeating the boss, not sure if that is a game mechanic that the player can use in the future but would be nice, or maybe doing something to delineate where enemies would be (like grass in the pokemon games indicated higher probability of running into a enemy) so a player can avoid them on the walking path if need be.

Overall though fantastic game, hope that you are able to continue working on it, and enjoy making it!

1 Like

@solstice273
Thanks so much that means a lot to me, I have worked really hard on getting those renders to look good and there’s even some I intend to replace at some time or another. Animation wise I’m just not sure how to do it but I would like to learn and probably will at some point. In terms of sound effects it gets kinda dicey because it’s really hard to find ones that don’t sound incredibly lame or jarringly wrong. Lets just say there’s a reason why the rip and slosh sound effects are the only two added assets.

I can drop the spawn rate though and tbh what I want to actually do is have a set amount of enemies that just spawn in an area that you can either attack or avoid. Just not sure how I should represent them within the game and would likely need a plugin for it.

1 Like

Good grief: the renders are gorgeous; the premise, golden; and you top it off by tossing a cliff-hanger right when we’re at the peak of the crescendo.

This is excruciatingly promising.

2 Likes

Also for those wondering I will eventually add a quest tracker and my plan is to have the main quest literally be to find a hostess snack cake and the rest of all other missions to be sub quests. This started as a joke I would eventually remove but I ended up liking the idea of this stupid quest keeping the MC’s mind off the insanely broken world around him.

Also since people have been so nice and I had some time I made a mockup of a preg pinup I want to do at some point. It’s fantasy themed and I don’t have an actual background to use so it’s deeply WIP. Especially the hair which is giving me all kinds of issues.

Also here’s a more vanilla render I did a few days ago that I’m still tweaking. Wanted to make something that used warm light to toy around with how that looks.

3 Likes

Played the demo, liked what I saw thus far. I’d like to make a suggestion, though:
For the greenhouse lab, the soundtrack that plays in that area does not fit, at all. I’d suggest something a bit more eerie and slower, to add to the immersion of exploring abandoned ruins.

Also, I’ve a question: will there be any furry TFs for some of the female characters at some point?

2 Likes

That’s a great suggestion and I’ll look into finding something that better captures that mood. Like seriously these are the kind of suggestions I love because it helps the game and just straight up isn’t hard to implement.

Your second question is sort of covered in the second post FAQ but tbh it’s unlikely that there will be a transformation in that regard unless there’s a DAZ asset that lets me do it. But don’t worry I do actually want to add a furry character provided it doesn’t look horrifying in DAZ.

When I wrote the copulated with a goat line I thought it might be funny if it was a goat person so really all that’s left is for me to find an asset that looks good and fits.

3 Likes

At first you had my curiosity….

But now you have my undivided attention.

1 Like

As others have said, it’s great to see custom artwork and high quality renders in an RPGMaker game, those are usually reserved for VN-like games. It’s a great premise and, while some of the references were a bit dated, the writing is good. I especially like Greg’s character and the reactions to how he stocks the shop, it’s a novel use of what’s otherwise a stock asset.

For the gameplay, it’s pretty standard RPGMaker stuff, which one can’t complain about too much. I think there are several minor QoL changes you could easily make that would make it a lot more enjoyable, though.

• After the AI teleports you back to your base, it should be an actual function of the suit, I’ve seen this done well as an added Key Item. This way it doesn’t clog up the skills menu.
  • Encounter rates seem pretty high considering that there aren’t really meaningful rewards outside of the predetermined fights that give you a level.
  • The initial scrap cost for the store could be lowered by half.

The last point is probably a result from my unexpected way of playing, I ran from most fights since they didn’t seem worth the time in exchange for 1-3 scrap per encounter. If it’s a high cost to make the player see that the nodes respawn 5 scrap after sleeping, I think you can trust the player to understand this via the text. It just seemed strange to me that pretty immediately the game was wanting me to grind or backtrack through an area (and I wasn’t able to find the teleport function).

For minor things, you might want to check the collision on the leaved trees just before the hippo boss. You’re able to walk (climb?) on them, which seems unintentional. By the hippo console, the vents are also walkable tiles, so you appear to clip into the wall a bit.

Overall, it’s a promising first demo, great job! For me, it would be a little early to want to support on Patreon unless it was at a very low cost, but I hope you continue to work on this and are able to turn it into something with the community that you want.

3 Likes

As a matter of fact, I do happen to know a guy who likes to do pinups with anthrofurs of the BBW variety.
Maybe you can ask him for the sources of his models, and if they’re compatible with DAZ?
https://mobile.twitter.com/LopBlx24

1 Like

@ThisAnon
If I get enough funds to commission then I would but honestly I’ll need some art that matches our current style better. It’ll just be very jarring if all the assets look similar except the furries. Luckily I’ve seen some promising stuff at the store so it’s definitely in the cards but likely not soon.

@HellaGunz
I will go to the grave with my dated references riding a razor scooter while listening to Nysync. I am a sad adult and proud. :smile:

Most of those quality of life changes are planned for the bugfix version I’ll release Thursday or Friday depending on my availability. The fast travel won’t but also there’s also like only five locations right now. In future it’ll be a bit different and I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

Also It would be wildly irresponsible to make a Patreon right this second. It wouldn’t be fair to people who paid because there just isn’t enough base content. If this gets enough attention, and it’s looking like it is, I’ll start working hard on a full gameplay update that will include what I want to be the core features of the game.

Also there may or may not be a teaser for a second girl in the bug fix version. If there were such a thing I would also include a save at the end of the game so people who already played it could see that teaser.

4 Likes

Love those two character renders, especially the Ghostly Silver-haired Preg. Could the pregnancy possibly reach hyper-preg levels of size in the game?

Also second girl? You have my attention.

2 Likes

I could do hyper preg but one of the issues with super large body parts is that it looks deeply unnatural which can hinder enjoyment of the image. But I can workshop it and see what I can do. Also I bought an asset that will work as a background so that may be incoming.

Glad you like the second girl, I thought it went well.

2 Likes

For those wondering about my process, here’s a version 1 of the preg picture from before. It’ll be another asset in the game at some point when I get an actual proper pinup viewer.

What I’ll need to fix is the light damage coming from the environment, something I haven’t actually had to deal with before. The very soft orange light is actually something I put in because the fire wasn’t bright enough and I wanted contrast.

Also I don’t know if I’m going to get Dforce hair again, I can’t seem to make it not be in her face.

4 Likes

Can I ask for a link on google drive or mediafire? I can never get MEGA to work for me and i really want to try this game out, since we don’t see too many 3d games on here.

I can try and include one later this week when I release the bugfix version but the file size shouldn’t be large enough to really cause an issue on Mega. Typically I only see problems when you hit like the 2 GB level since that’s when they make you get an account to download it.

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I just wanna clarify that my issue isn’t involving the size of the file, its about how unstable my current internet connection is due to construction being done in my area. I can start a download and it will go along smoothly up to a point where it rolls back to an earlier percentage. With most other upload sites, i just have to resume the download and it picks up where it left off before being interrupted, but for some reason MEGA traps me in an unbreakable loop.

1 Like

No worries, I can accommodate I just need to complete this update and I’ll release a Mega and Mediafire download.

2 Likes

I have a few comments to make

• For how much damage you take in battle each time, there is a severe lack of healing items or places to rest up. This is probably for the setting, but playing without save editing to give me a fuck ton of the health stims had me dying around the green maze like part of the building.
  • It was stated earlier, but yeah, the jetpack thing should be unlocked after it happened in story, you could have it unlocked as a skill that can only be used on the field.
  • I’m sad that there is no real reward for going all the way around the top ledge in the first screen of the game.
  • I don’t know what the art program is, but that style of 3D doll maker always disturbs me, this is a personal gripe so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
2 Likes
  • Unfortunately that might be the luck of the draw, you should have a 1 in 5 chance of the stim dropping and one thing I have planned for the next fix is to increase it by a bit. Also I forgot to make the Facility bots have a 1 in 5 chance of dropping it so that will also be a huge difference.

• I may do a jetpack thing but like I said before but honestly with the lowered bot spawn rate and scrap requirement for the item I doubt this will be an issue overall especially in later versions when I plan to completely change encounters.

• Thanks for letting me know about the ledge, I thought I’d blocked it off but apparently I did not do it well enough.

As per the art program. It’s not so much a doll maker as it is more a plug and play 3D asset designer called DAZ. Discomfort can be common since it’s tripping your uncanny valley. But I’ve been pretty careful to make them look believable rather than real, especially in the later renders.

The uncanny valley is super interesting, we actually prefer to look at things that are more obviously fake than things that try to be real. That’s why for example in the live version of Alladin they made Will Smith look like he was wearing body paint instead of being just covered in a real blue tint. Because body paint is a thing that exists in our world it lets us know that this isn’t fully real so you can relax.

I’ve also invested in some skin plugins to help what I can only describe as the barbie doll effect that happens to most DAZ models. That will come into play in the next iteration of renders.

I personally really love DAZ as a system, it’s a bit janky but given that I work in tech I’m fairly used to that.

2 Likes