Swelladia [Alpha Demo Build 2 Available Now!]

Discord

I got a few more requests asking for a discord server for / to discuss the game, so here it is! Come ask questions about the game, leave a suggestion, or even see update progress between the developer logs!

There will also be smaller polls on the discord to influence the development of the game, but larger polls will likely stay on DeviantArt as I imagine this is where the largest audience will be.

And finally I am thinking of having some sort of lottery system in there. Something like a rare lottery drawing where someone gets to have a specific item put in the game, or something along those lines!

Here’s the link!

9 Likes

Well this certainly looks like it’ll be an interesting thing, always searching for more inflation based games and this at least intrigues me.

2 Likes

I’m very excited. This looks amazing! I’ve been waiting for a game like this :smiley:

4 Likes

First time spotting this game, and from going through the thread, it looks to be a lovely game! Can’t wait to play it!

2 Likes

Devlog2

Hello! I’ve been hard at work tinkering with a lot of Swelladia’s systems, but as promised here’s a showcase of two of the games most prominent features: The villages and combat!

Combat

Now for one of the most important parts of the game: combat! The four main actions of combat are: pumping, using abilities, burping, and using items!

• Pumping: Pumping is your most basic combative ability, and simply inflates

whichever enemy you are targeting!

• Abilities: Throughout your adventure you will gain abilities to use in combat,

such as blowkissing your enemies to try and inflate them more then a pump

would. There are also different paths of elemental magic, such as: air, water,

slime, etc. that can be used! Enemies have different resistances to each type

of inflation (excluding regular pumping), so certain types might be more

effective than others depending on what/who you’re fighting!

(Below is an image of some of the abilities and spells you can unlock under

the air tree:)

• Burping: Your most basic way to relieve some of the pressure in your tummy

is burping! For those who are wondering, the sound effects will be toggleable!

• Items: While more resource intensive than spells and abilities, items have far

more potent effects! Items can be used for things such as deflating yourself,

inflating enemies, and applying special status effects to enemies and yourself!

Items can be purchased from vendors, or crafted from resources you can find

around the map!

One of the biggest features of combat is dynamic reactions! When you get a bit too inflated for comfort, enemies will taunt you and tease your explosive state. In contrast, they will also protest and complain when inflated, with randomized dialogue options to ensure every encounter even with the same enemy type is unique!

I’ll dive more into equipment in a future Dev Log, but there are currently five item slots, each of which can be equipped with different types of enchanted gear that gives bonus stats and resistances to specific types of inflation! Some pieces of gear will even give unique abilities and properties that’ll help with certain quest objectives! :smirk:

Villages

And for the second part of this dev log: villages! Villagers are where you’ll interact with a majority of the NPCs in the game, whether it be for crafting, finding new quests, progressing regional stories, romance, etc. Most NPCs in the game will be inflatable, and to engage with the system all you have to do is talk to inflatable NPCs with a pump in your inventory, and select “Use Pump”. More will be shown on this system soon!

You can differentiate what type of quest you’ll be taking on from an NPC by the icon above their head. If a quest icon has a gold border, it means it is related to the overall story of the map region you’re in. If it has a black border, it means it is simply a side quest that can give rewards such as experience, items, and other things!

Beware the village guards! If they catch you committing crimes such as theft or inflating villagers until they blow, they’ll come after you. Guards will either take you to jail, or inflate you on the spot if your bounty is high enough. Some guards might be corrupt however, and it’s in your interest to play your cards right…

And the final part of villages to be shown today… buildings! Every building in each village will be enterable, and host their own npcs, secrets, and interactable objects! Some places might not be too happy about you barging in, though! So be mindful…

Discord

Want to see some potential update showcases early? Come join the discord(18+)! Here you can vote on stuff related to the game, talk to people with similar interests, or anything of the sort!

12 Likes

Since your game is all inflation and round things like to roll I thought it would be a good idea to mention this plugin I use in my own game for inflation scenes. It lets you ignore rpgmaker’s 2,1,3,2 style of walk cycles so you can animate characters rolling around or just animate something with extra frames.

5 Likes

I might use this for the blueberry inflation, thanks for the link!

Dl3

Howdy, everybody! I’m back with another Developer Log to show off some more of the games features!

Cra

As previously mentioned, a lot of the game’s combat and quests will revolve around items. As such, it’s only fitting that you are able to craft items to assist you! There are a mix of offensive and defensive items at your disposal, such as buffs for yourself or AOE gas grenades to inflate your foes!

Many recipes such as crafting advanced equipment will require you to use crafting stations, such as forges or alchemy tables! You can find these in villages, or rarely in areas in the wild such as camps. Some items such as potions will require items that can only be purchased, so be sure to visit the merchants in/near the forges to stock up on crafting supplies!

Ed

And now for the main showcase for this log, the endless dungeons! These will be special dungeons that have long sections made up of randomly selected pre-made rooms, each filled with various traps, enemies, and loot! Every once and a while the floors will change to a new theme with different environmental traps and enemies!

Between the thematic sections of the endless dungeons will be scripted boss encounters, with their own powerful rewards for defeating them and overcoming deeper levels of the endless dungeons!

These floors will include enemies and puzzles, with some floors giving you multiple options to reach the exit to a lower floor. I plan on having one of these endless dungeons added every 2 or so major regions of the world. They’ll receive updates alongside new expansions to the game to add deeper levels and bosses to the endless dungeons to keep the content fresh!

16 Likes

Dv4

Howdy all! I’m back with another dev log to show off some more content from Swelladia! Since I have shown off most of the game’s core mechanical features already, these developer logs will be monthly from now on and show off new mechanics, areas, enemies, points of interest, etc. with an emphasis on new content rather than features like it is currently. I do plan on releasing the demo before the next developer log, but we’ll see how that goes.

Camps

One of the most common points of interest you’ll find around the map are camps! There are different camp sites for different races and factions, such as adventurers, bandits, and the other humanoid races such as goblins! These’ll have lootable objects as well, so be sure to search around camps when you’re in need of items! Camps and other points of interest will often house objectives for both regional quests and side quests, so be sure to look around! Some quests will even be offered from these camps themselves! There are both friendly and hostile camps, with the latter requiring stealth or combat to work your way through.

And here below is a goblin camp, right outside of their large village in the forest! These goblins are much more friendly to outsiders than their fellow goblins, so feel free to stop by!

Misc

This is less of a showcase, and more of a status report! About half of the first region’s map has been fully completed so far, including all of what will be available in the first demo version of the game!

As you can see below, I have also been working on tweaking the game’s UI a bit! This is by no means the finished product, and I plan on messing with it a lot in the future to make it more visually appealing and fitting to the fantasy setting of the game.

Many of the first starting area’s enemies have been sprited as well, and it’s just a matter of making variations of them and working on the inflation stages of the sprites for the combat!

14 Likes

Very nice, keep up the good work!

Devlog5

Long time no see! I want to start this log off with an apology for a lack of a developer log for July. For June through the first half of July I had gotten my first job, and it was quite demanding so I didn’t get a ton of work done on the game. But I’ve been back, and have gotten a lot done in the last few weeks that I’m here to delve into! This dev log will be longer than usual to explain what all I’ve been working on. For this log I’m going to be showing off some exploration, combat, UI changes, and talk more about the gear & class systems for the game.

Exploration

Like any real RPG, the game will have a strong emphasis on exploration! The primary incentive to explore (aside from finding more NPCs to inflate, of course) is finding side quests and hidden gear that will help you on your journey! There are plenty of obvious and less obvious side areas throughout the map to explore, filled to the brim with equipment, items, puzzles, and enemies! If something looks out of place on your adventuring, it might be worth exploring! The gear you find from exploring will often be comparable or even better than the gear you craft on your own!

Combat

And now for the meat of the game, the combat! Most of the first region’s combat is now fully functional, with the only thing remaining being spriting more enemy types/variations! As you can see in the image below of the player fighting a quite full goblin, the UI for combat has been completely revamped to be more visually appealing and less intrusive.

There are already about fifteen enemy types in the game, with each enemy type planned to have about five variations in personality/appearance. This is an unfortunate limitation, as there are limited amounts of slots for enemies in the game so there will be repeated appearances for enemies. I hope to make up for this by having each one of these encounters to have lots of variation of dialogue to keep encounters from getting stale for an exhaustive amount of fights on the same enemy. As I previously mentioned enemies will comment on the state of battle, taunting you about your size and responding to their own state as you inflate them closer to blowing apart.

Combat is much more expansive then I had originally planned, already including 10 unique status effects that can be applied by and to the player! These statuses all come with their own strategies to be prevented/dealt with, so be sure to come prepared to any difficult encounters you might stumble upon!

There are also six damage elements so far, ranging from the magical types to more physical types of inflation such as liquid and wind (air/helium). Each enemy type and unique boss will have specific resistances to each element, and a type of element they favor to use against the player.

Classes

While classes were originally planned to be a post-launch addition to the game, I quickly realized this would be a bad idea as I developed the combat system with more depth. I plan to add more classes with each big update/expansion to the game, and there are already several classes that have been developed.

As you can see in the image above some classes will have subclasses, such as the mages being able to specialize in different elements of magic to counter foes resistances. Each class will also have their own unique resources to manage, whether this be stacking buffs for damage uptime, or resource gages such as mana for mages, fury for warriors, and stamina for rogues.

The player will start out without a class, however classes will be easily accessible via questlines and training facilities throughout the world. Each class will come with its own skills as well, and unique gear that only certain class types can equip that compliment their strengths.

Thank you for reading this far! While I am still working on the demo of the first region, as it will feature every aspect of the game, I do have something special planned before then that I hope will tide people over before the big demo release and give a taste for the game. Thanks again for your time, and I look forward to showing off more of the game!

22 Likes

Demo Release

Howdy! I’ve come to announce that the Alpha Demo for Swelladia will be publically available on Itch.io on September 29th at 12:00 PM CST! I’ll be posting a link to it both on DeviantArt and Weight Gaming, so keep an eye out! This demo is the game’s tutorial, and the original plan for the demo is now being changed over to a Beta for the game (more on that in the next developer log very soon!)

Contest

And equally exciting, I’m hosting a Character Design contest over in the discord for the game! If you have an idea for an unique character you’d like to see in the game, this is your chance to potentially get it into the game! The rules and entries are available over on the game’s discord. Here’s a link to the discord: Swelladia Official Server

10 Likes

is the cyclops boss an auto-lose? since I can’t control my allies I’m not sure if there’s anyway to alter my strategy?

Yep! It’s the end of the demo so it’s a scripted loss :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a bad little demo. I saw two bugs: The first one is while interacting with the tent after the party is back together, it’ll give you dialog as if the female NPC is still in the tent. The second issue is that it feels like something’s missing when you pop while in combat. Your belly just disappears, everything kind of freezes for a moment, and the game over screen comes up. At the very least, it feels like there should be some popping sound FX at the very least.

Otherwise, a fun little demo, with a solid foundation. It will be interesting to see how this project develops.

There should be an animation for the belly sprite swelling larger for a second or two then exploding. Did that not appear on your end?

And the bug with the tent got reported over on discord! I’m planning to put out a bug fix patch tomorrow night that’ll solve that (along with many other bugs & a few QoL features).

Here’s a tentative roadmap for the game development over the next few months!

(EDIT: The dates on this are very out of date!)

13 Likes

That’s correct, nothing showed up for me. Just the belly disappearing and no pop sound fx. Out of combat, it looks like it works alright, i.e. overinflating from the mana pools or hitting something sharp.

Oh shoot, nobody had brought that to my attention! It worked fine before the export. I’ll be sure to fix that right away. I hadn’t actually tested the game over in the exported game so I guess it broke along the way. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

1 Like

A few of problems that I noticed: you can use Attunement to increase your mana over the cap seemingly infinitely, sometimes when a battle starts the enemy will show it’s max size for 1 frame, when I fought the plant person I lost the first time because it stun locked me with pheromones for several turns, and when I fought the cyclops the battle text went by so fast I didn’t have time to see what was happening.

This game seems promising though, and I’m excited to see where it goes from here.

2 Likes