The Potential of Starfield (...and An Analysis of Roleplaying Being Fat In BGS Games)

true, true… though beside difficulty from technical part, must note that all those thick and rather “deforming” space suits might be a real pain to create bigger sliders for
(though i’ve never worked on it myself so it may be a wild guess)

1 Like

Hehe, watch there be “Skin-Tight Space Suit Replacer” mods. Calling it now! :laughing:

If that does happen, maybe it will make it easier for potential weight gain mods, IF it’s possible.

Default outfit meshes definitely don’t have enough vertices for detailed bbw body shape. So, even if bodyslide outfit studio will be ready I will need to manually edit every outfit model first to increase polygons count.

So now that the game is out, what potential do you see now in the game? And what stuff did you expect to happen in the first post happened and not?

It’s hard for me to say as right now I can’t afford it (some crazy stuff happened with my PC and repairs basically ate up my Starfield money), but next week things will be different. I’ve not wanted to spoil myself on the game since I’ve quite literally been waiting on it for over 5 years at this point, haha.

I plan on making a full write up whenever I get a reasonable amount of hours in the game, and I might want this thread locked when I do that because it was more for Starfield speculation than anything, haha, and by the time I get to writing that I believe that it will have been out for a long enough time that we won’t really be “speculating” anymore.

If you want something simple, short, and sweet I would say that Starfield’s general reception could give you an idea or two on whether or not it’s a good pick up or not lol. People who were expecting No Man’s Skyrim in Space with Guns Fallout Scrolls Elite Dangerous Big Momma’s House VI™, and extrapolated upon stuff that wasn’t there were disappointed, those who were extremely negative were either positively surprised or apathetic, and it seems as if those such as myself that were in the middle have had their expectations met.

I would say if you liked FO4 and or Skyrim, and you like near-future sci-fi, it is a good pick up. If you are only interested in it’s potential for fat mods, or it’s modding potential in general and nothing else I suggest you wait until the mods come out and it goes on sale.

To expound upon that, nothing I laid out in my original post was particularly crazy predictions. I mostly just picked apart the stuff that they had already showed us. My main point is just that they let you have a background that is independent of you being some kind of rough-and-tumble bad ass like nearly every other Bethesda game, and that there were more avenues of gameplay than just physically fighting people. Were my expectations met? Well, from what I’ve heard:

• I’ve heard spaceship combat is more of a means to an end than anything. I’m hoping there are mods that can make it feel better.
  • Backgrounds apparently have a negligible affect on quest’s outcomes, though I wasn’t expecting anything revolutionary on that front so there was no expectation to meet there, haha. I was more just excited for the flavor of being a space trucker or whatever than it actually affecting gameplay that much.

Beyond those nitpicks, everything in my post was correct. At the end of the day I was more just complimenting Starfield’s vibe more than anything, and since it has more or less delivered in many’s eyes gameplay wise (despite the fact there are problems) I am satisfied, and prepared to make my purchase when I have the money.

I hope this answers your question, haha.

Here’s hoping the eventual “The Potential of Paralives” thread turns out a similar way.

So body mods are now a thing for Starfield, not as in-depth as bodyslide, but it’s definitely a first step

VBB on Nexus

1 Like

What about for male bodies?

They seem to have started work on that too

There is still no tools to work with models, so I have no idea how creator of VBB mod did it. Definitely used some manual method.

I don’t like how it requires zeroing of body shape. A mod that alters the limits of thin/muscular/fat and has them operate as dynamic variables wouldn’t be helped much by that. As far as proof of concept and encouraging mod development though it is a positive step.

Even without mods, the game is so much better at making fat characters than previous Bethesda games

My first attempt at a fat character (no mods whatsoever)

I have no idea how to make the character look happier though

1 Like

So with model editing tools (including a preliminary plugin for Blender to import .mesh files since the model data isn’t stored in the .nif anymore) released, and even the new xEdit to allow for creating plugin files in a less sloppy/brute-force way, and some initial body mods being released, what are the odds we’ll see some kind of a fat mod, to tide us over until CBBE/Bodyslide/Outfit Studio? Even if it doesn’t work with all outfits (like the first body mod they put out, VBB or whatever it was called).

There is no point in wasting your precious time on editing current meshes when you will need to rework all this later after Bodyslide comes out.

Tell that to the people who made VBB and NBIS (and I think there’s at least one other one, but I may be misremembering and thinking of texture mods). Some people just want something nice to look at for the time being, as we have no idea when (or even if, haven’t seen official confirmation on LoversLab or Nexus or anywhere) Bodyslide is coming.

that looks great, i love it