The Weighting Game - WIP

@zero_the_Unknown In 0.6, money doesn’t really matter. You can go into negative figures with no consequences. That won’t be the case for much longer :wink:

I’m still sick, but improving a little all the time :slight_smile:

@ffviimaster2004 Glad you liked it!

1 Like

Wait money doesnt matter? Have I wasted weeks of playtime just to build up a lot of money :pensive:

4 Likes

@Aleece The satisfaction of sitting on your large pile of gold will have to be enough. Outside of the game constantly reminding you that you need money for rent and are low on money each week as tiggertoo said there is currently no downside.

@tiggertoo That being said I can see you have plans to not allow you to stockpile negative currency like I have every play thru since I found out that money didn’t matter :smirk:. You have made a few balance changes and introduced a raise mechanic for the amount of money the MC gets from working. Do you think by 0.8 you might have that locked in? I would like to see the money get the proper testing from a larger amount of people for the pacing of the game and how it feels with negative impacts of cash, especially since now that Alice has a job and occasionally pays for stuff.

I would say I always try to start out not abusing the currency system but somewhere with Alice’s intake increasing and doing a variety of events(especially with the new places added) I always start to have money issues. I still try to work a few times a day for sure but, I eventually default to going negative. I’m sure I can’t be the only one to scum the currency situation in the game.

Also on the topic of money I know some games have a feature of making some cash on the side like doing something that can be done from home on a computer. I.e. writing reviews or articles(what does our MC do again :sweat_smile:). Maybe on the weekends or outside of normal work hours our MC can have a function at home to do some kinda work for extra cash.

2 Likes

Good idea! Maybe one way to earn money could be to post Alice’s weight gain pictures as she gets fatter and fatter on some sort of totally made up, completely fictional website where a bunch of degenerates, addicted to female blubber, throw money at hot BBWs to see them stuff themselves and pack on the pounds or share weight gain games and pics…
Something that totally does not exist in reality :flushed:

5 Likes

No plans to add any other ways of earning money, I’m afraid. I haven’t had many people say that they’ve had problems staying in the black. Although maybe they’ve just not told me as it currently doesn’t have any affect :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe it’s the good little worker bee in me but I tend to maintain a float of 1000 at all times. I was happy to see the raise/bonus mechanics implemented at the time (plus Becca, natch)

3 Likes

I wish i could play this game in steam or something like that, as a college student i still not having a credit card.

It’s pretty rough being a student and not having a credit card. If there’s a bank around, you shouldn’t have a problem opening a fee-less checking account and get a debit card which will work the same. The other option would be purchasing a visa gift card, which works much like a regular credit card, just with a limit.

I never had any issue with staying with a positive bank balance on aggregate. I’m not saying it never went negative, but if I mistimed the dates for a given week it was pretty easy to get back to positive. And I never felt like the balance was off or that it was monotonous, especially once you had Becca in the mix to liven it up.

1 Like

What if there could be a cheat option of infinite money or something for those that don’t want to worry about their money? (I’m way in the negative thousands D: )

Also I don’t know if it’s been talked about already (there’s kind of a lot of posts here) but is the update going to add just new stuff from where .6 ended or is it also going to add new stuff earlier in the game as well?

There will be mostly new things added from where 0.6 ended, but tiggertoo did mention the addition of one replayable scene and unless I’m misunderstanding that should be a feature that is in the game earlier when 0.7 is released.

2 Likes

@Mark-627 It’s unlikely that I’ll put the game on Steam, although I will look into the possibility nearer the time. Far more likely that I’ll put it on itch.io

@CranberryOatmeal If you do go into negative figures, it’s pretty easy to get back into the black as long as you don’t go hundreds/thousands into the red. There are tweaks to this coming (if I ever manage to finish everything on the still huge to-do list for 0.7 and get them implemented). If a lot of people find they’re struggling, I can always nudge the player earnings up a little.

No plans for any cheat modes, I’m afraid… Plus, if you don’t go to work you’ll miss out on the story with Becca…

As @Krodmandoon correctly says, 0.7 is almost all new stuff to continue from 0.6. There are a few tweaks from the start - for example the phone gallery is now up and running and there will hopefully be a number of other little bits and pieces depending on time. There is one new replayable scene from the outset (there are actually two new scenes, but seeing as the second one only kicks in late in the game and replaces an existing scene, I’m not counting this one). Most of the major characters also have at least one new story scene.

9 Likes

You’re just playtesting the balance of the money system. It’s not that money isn’t supposed to matter it’s that money mattering hasn’t yet been implemented yet.

Also @tiggertoo maybe the first time a player goes into the negative money they get a loan? And the arrival of this loan can include some informational text dump about how money does matter and what the consequence of going broke are (after you’ve programmed said consequences into the game)?

That way you don’t have to add a tutorial on money to the start of the game, but you can still add a tutorial about the consequence of money later? Also giving players one mess-up per run should make players feel in control of the situation rather than frustrated by it? Maybe? Then after they’ve gotten their free warning/textdump or whatever let them get some harsh penalties like being unable to afford dates or being gameovered on rent or whatnot?

1 Like

I think a game over simply because you’ve gone slightly over your cash limit would be very harsh. No plans to implement anything like that :slight_smile: And I don’t think we need anything as boring as a money tutorial. It should hopefully be self explanatory.

I’m still working out the details, but I think a system that takes into account how often you go over the limit (and possibly by how much) would be fairer. And, as with everything else in the game, it’s work in progress. Can always be tweaked if people feel it’s too annoying/obtrusive.

3 Likes

Something like that would make sense to me, like a bank overdraft fee or interest on borrowed money. There should definitely be a cap to keep it from getting out of hand though. I think the earnings you make are fine as is, but was definitely hurting for cash around the end of the final weight stages, maybe just a minor income boost for the later stages?

2 Likes

A punishment for overdrafting doesn’t have to be financial. Another method could be something like this:

Overdrafting causes Alice to be unavailable from 13.00-17.00 because she feels guilty about burdening your finances and decides to buckle down on job hunting or work. This way the player will be incentivized to work if he wants to hang out with her and will automatically have his expenses cut down. Taking it a step further Alice could eventually give a small financial boost getting you back in the black after a week or two, thanks to a part time job or overtime. Perhaps at a slight cost in your affection with her / her happiness.

It would probably be harder to implement, though.

2 Likes

@burber I personally don’t think there really needs to be a punishment to keep the [player from going into debt. With the system in place I would assume Tiggertoo will make it so you can no longer do things if you don’t have money. That in itself will force the player to work or not be able to see some/most of the content and Alice will of course not progress any further. That to me is punishment enough and incentive to not go into negative currency in my opinion.

@Gandulf That is how I felt as well and probably the best solution long term it would make sense that with the player helping Becca more and more that more raises or a further increase in pay can/will probably happen.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree with the other comments here. I don’t think there needs to be any real harsh penalty outside of something like you can’t spend money on dates/food if you are in debt. It should be pretty straightforward.

2 Likes

I’d consider a hard line with no ability to spend money when you reach cash limit a much harder punishment, than not being able to spend money a few hours every day and being given some cash after a week or being offered a loan from a bank…

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks the money system is fine as is? The game already gives you raises so money becomes less of an issue. Just don’t spam the Alice events over and over again.

4 Likes