The Weighting Game - WIP

i would like to see a school version of the game all about 18+ :wink: and you can decide about maybe 3 girls with several paths … maybe one of them is gaining for your attention ? just an idea

i would like to see a version of the game set in a retirement home 78+ :wink: with 19 brand new girls all on narratively extraneous pathways … maybe one of them you never end up meeting? just an idea

6 Likes

thanks for the replies, so I wasn’t crazy and rent did increase as Alice got larger gotcha. I was wondering if in the final version was a game over going to be eventually tied to being in the negatives for too many weeks

and would we get a better way to know how much rent is each week? like just placing what the week’s rent total is at one of the four corner’s of the screen?

3 Likes

Currently depending on the part of the game you are at if you are negative with currency it will cause Alice to pay for things (add in 0.7 as negative money did not matter prior to this update) which will cause her to lose romance score with the player and done enough times will result in the game over screen appearing during the break up event.

After that there aren’t any further penalties that can cause a game over currently. I would assume this is an aspect tiggertoo would change in the future. But full on penalties tied directly to rent and negative currency does make sense. I don’t know how serve Tiggertoo is looking to make them if implemented. If the player tries to sit around in negative currency too many times especially if it’s caused by the rent payment it would make sense to probably do a game over in my opinion.

1 Like

Alice would need to get fat then…

It would most definitely be necessary to survive the winters.

2 Likes

One thing I think any good VN bad end needs is exclusive content.

Like the ideal way to handle the breakup, is actually to let the breakup happen because you get a few unique lines during the breakup and recovery from it, that you don’t get if her romance score is perfectly super high and the breakup is bypassed

Most games with entertaining bad ends though involve monsters or combat or capture or death, none of which make sense in a slice of life VN.

1 Like

@Kiso School games have been done to death, and I’m English in any case. To me, school is 18 years and under… :stuck_out_tongue:

@sinkboat What a concept! I’m going to abandon the original game and start over. 78 is a little… young, though? I’m thinking 85 absolute minimum. Wrinkles, varicose veins, endless medications, zimmer frames!!! And nobody ever meets anyone as they’re all bedridden. This is a winner!!!

@GrimRyu The game does tell you how much the rent is every time you have to pay it. And it only goes up by a small increment each time Alice goes up a size, so it’s hardly a shock. Quite a few people haven’t even noticed the rent increasing even after several playthroughs.

@Krodmandoon and @namad The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards removing the game over scenario in the breakup. It can take a new player several hours to reach that point, and having to constantly check with Alice how she’s feeling is a little counter-productive imo, especially as new players won’t really realise how carefuly they need to take note of this unless I make it blindingly obvious.

The game over at this point doesn’t really serve any purpose apart from to annoy people who hadn’t realised it was coming. And if I do leave it in, any new players who get that ending will spend the rest of the game wondering if they’ll get another ‘game over’ screen at some point. That’ll take a lot of fun out of playing.

An entertaining bad end, though? Hmmmm, interesting idea. Alice turns into a monster girl, anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally think the game over is fine, but that there should be a way to get around the low relationship score during the sister visit. Like maybe if you’re honest and upfront about it, there’s no game over but she’s more likely to temporarily break up with you, but if you deny it or redirect blame, there’s a greater chance of she’ll stay with you, but there’s also a greater chance of an instant game over. At least that way, you only have to go back to the previous choice rather than restart the entire game.

Monsters, magic, potions, all could be entertaining bad endings sure.

Another option is maybe to just change the game over screen to be like, click here to see how the game would’ve played out had you been nicer to alice. Second menu option, click here to begin the game again and actually be nicer to her.

You know, give the players permission to cheat, and make it easy, so that if they really did want to be nicer to alice, they could restart (but at the same time make it clear the game was keeping track and they weren’t doing it properly.) This way if they haven’t been making a save once a week like I always do in VNs they won’t be punished too hard.

Yes as I found out by replaying the game, so it was more that I was crazy and too busy focusing on Alice’s growing model to notice that detail

also as I replay from a fresh save I’m finding dialog that I didn’t see before lol

1 Like

@echumxbiaoef The chances do actually vary a little, depending on which answer you choose.

@namad That’s not a bad idea at all, but I’m still leaning very much towards removing the game-over scenario from the equation though. I want this to be a fun game to play and worrying all the way through that you’re going to hit another game-over will suck a lot of that fun out of it.

@GrimRyu Yeah, you will see different dialogue. There are a lot of instances where what’s said will vary, depending on how happy Alice is at the time. It’s impossible to see everything on one playthrough.

I understand the chances vary somewhat depending on the choices, but what I am suggesting is that the right answer never leads to a straight up game over, no matter how low Alice’s romance score is, so that the player isn’t forced to replay the entire game and that maybe a change like that would affect how the chances of a breakup and game over should apply to the rest of the choices.

1 Like

The game over always made sense within the narrative to me. If the PC is such an ass to Alice, she just outright dumps you and there is no coming back from it. I think that makes sense. With the game over being taking away or your suggestion here. It makes it kind of jarring for me personally. The idea that I could do very negative things and not have some kind of actual punishment or repercussion from it. I think it’s not wrong to want to not have a long-drawn-out game over that the player doesn’t see coming. Or a way to recover from it if you have made a few mistakes.

I personally feel the problem probably comes from having the romance score being the choice of how the game over happens and having it being hidden from the player. At least, with how happiness and romance currently are in the game. I think it makes sense that if Alice is “happy” the player would assume everything is okay and with the added mood meter it is probably misleading the new players. That followed with the negative dialogue only being tied to the directly to the actions that cause negative romance score hits. And I guess it not being obvious enough that it’s negative (although I always thought it was obvious it’s negative).

The not easy probably not worth it way of doing something else in my opinion is probably having Alice say more negative dialogue outside of the actions that cause drops in romance score. For instance, like when you invite her over to dinner. Or when you go to the park, bar etc. there are little things Alice and the MC say to each other and some of the random dialogue in these situations should probably be more negative about the state of the relationship if the PC has been doing negative actions. Probably should remove the higher requirement for passing the check. Just as simple as maybe negative score means you fail and positive means you pass from the breakup event. This probably makes it really easy to overcome with a previous save as well and I would assume unless you are trying to get the game over it wouldn’t happen.

I personally don’t think the dialogue is vague as to the effect choices have in game. I often experiment to see what choices get what reactions in games like this though. So as a new player or someone who doesn’t speak English as a first language (the only people that seem to have an issue getting past the game over parts) I can understand struggling if you don’t understand or see the difference in the choices based on Alice’s reactions.

8 Likes

Those are both useful insights. Thanks! :slight_smile:

That gives me more (insert obvious pun here) food for thought on the breakup scenario. If I do keep it, I’ll certainly have to make it a lot clearer a lot sooner that it’s coming up. Not much point in Alice warning you it might happen if your romance score is too low to reverse the outcome in the time available before that scene comes up.

The mood indicator does need some tweaking. As @Krodmandoon says, it’s only based on happiness at this point. Plan is to base it on romance too, which should improve its usefulness. It will only ever be a general guide though. There’s also a ‘how are we doing?’ question been added to the phonecall options which will (hopefully!) give a much clearer indication of how she’s feeling.

I’ll certainly be leaving the breakup gameover in for now. Much easier to remove it than to re-add it later if I change my mind. Will see what feedback I get once all the new stuff is implemented.

If I ever get roundt to implementing it. I’ve spent waaaaaay too much time lately revamping one of the main characters (she still looks the same facially, don’t worry!).

7 Likes

Is there a way to go out out with Lacy and Rebeca as well as Alice?

1 Like

Only Alice can be taken on dates/ go out to the different places because she is your girlfriend. The other girls can be seen at different locations and you have a chance to interact with them when they are around. But you can not specifically pick to call and ask other girls out like you do with Alice.

2 Likes

A curiosity from this hound tigger but have you thought of adding a selection screen in the games intro where you can choose which girl to start with

I admittedly ask this because I feel a bit like a**hole for toying with her heart then moving on to another

Is there no way to move between them without being a jerk?

The problem with that is completely restructuring the game. You would have to at bare minimum make like 5 to 6 times the renders in the game currently. (If you were to say swap all of Alice’s scenes with another girl just being in her place). The game is structured around you having a girlfriend and interacting with that girl through the game. If you just played the current content for the other girls only it would be short, fragmented and missing content since they all involve Alice in some form. And while you could totally make solo paths it’s a ton of work from how it current is.

There is always the option to turn down all girls advances in game and Hannah can be dismissed from the game completely at a point. This should allow you to only ever interact with any other girls with Alice present and with her consent. This should allow you to completely ignore anything done without her knowledge.

The other girls might get to a point to be removed from the game completely in the future. (maybe not though because I think Hannah got this option because some people found her annoying or off putting. Sacrilege I know :smirk:). But for now I would assume Becca, Lacy, and Sarah are going to be around since they are involved in the MC or Alice’s work or personal life at the moment.

1 Like

In my first couple of play-throughs I treated Alice as I would treat a real life girl. She never did or said anything to upset me, so I treated her as fairly as possible, looking after and cherishing her. We did get the break-up when she realised I was a feeder, but we soon got together again. The second time she was so happy that we didn’t break up at all! I worked around 8 hours per day, five days per week, so had plenty of income, and did things with Alice in the evenings and weekends. Never had a problem at all! If you behave like a bore and are unkind you deserve her dumping you! I’d keep the game end in!

3 Likes

I run into a bug (i think) i bring alice to eat and after that she no longer appear. Can someone help?