The Weighting Game - WIP

There will definitely be more along the lines of routes in the future :slight_smile:

7 Likes

any idea how to trigger hannah, i’ve only ever done 1 save where she’s shown up, every other save, she hasn’t shown up

2 Likes

Trigger Hannah in what way? She’s part of the story, she will show up in every play through.

I also made a guide in this post or linked in the very first post of the thread. It might be helpful.

2 Likes

yeah i managed to complete the game without encoutering hannah once since its possible

2 Likes

Yep, it is possible to dodge Hannah completely in 0.7.

I’ve added a check to the new version that won’t let you progress without at least meeting her.

Speaking of the new version, that’s getting ever closer to being ready for testing and I’d like a bit of advice on how best to communicate with the testers.

Easiest way is for them to simply mesage me on here with bugs and comments, but then there’ll be a lot of duplication, so I’m wondering about Trello or Discord (or even MS teams) so that the testers can see each others comments and make things more straightforward for everyone.

Thoughts, anyone? Bearing in mind that I know zilch about Trello and Discord, so have no real idea if private forums are even viable…

6 Likes

I personally think discord makes the most sense for that, and probably one that more people would have experience with. If you happen to start a discord server for testing purposes it’s really easy to manage channels and set up permissions. It would easily allow you to have a record for bug reports and voice if you needed it. Teams and Trello are not necessarily bad choices but I think they are less well known in general compared to discord.

4 Likes

How open do you plan to make the testing? If you’re going with open testing, creating a dedicated thread here would probably get you a lot of feedback and would avoid at least some of the duplication issues and would require little effort.
If you’re going with something like a closed beta, discord seems to be pretty nice. You can create subforums for bugtesting and general chatting which often makes it feel quite social instead of worklike, which honestly seems to be a pretty big bonus where motivation is concerned. Several other creators on this forum seems to use it, so you could probably visit their discords to get a feel for whether it works as you want.

2 Likes

Discord is best, but if you don’t want to have to fuss with using a tool you’ve never used before just make a new thread on this forum?

Really the main key is that testers have the ability to read each other’s notes. As in without bothering you. To avoid reporting the same thing to you 15 times.

If you only have say a dozen testers then organizing them won’t actually matter a ton as there won’t be enough of them to make communication too complicated.

If you were to have open testing you couldn’t open a new thread on this forum because it’d get crowded with weak reports and no one would read each others reports. So you’d need a discord and to have it subdivided in some manner, yes.

2 Likes

It’ll be a closed test. Perhaps half a dozen-ish testers or so.

Not sure an open thread on here would be the best idea. Anyone would be able to post in there and it’d be hard to keep track of valid comments.

So… that’s three votes out of three for Discord. I do have a Discord account, although I’ve never used it. Not even sure how to access it. Can anyone recommend a Discord for Dummies guide? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I don’t know of any specific guides off the top of my head but I can always help out if you needed it. It’s very easy to create a discord set up channels and permissions, make roles and then transfer ownership.

Edit: and I can show you if you want as well lol. I should of stated that.

3 Likes

I’d also suggest Discord, it’s quite simple to use, has the functionality of both a text and voice chat program, plus it’s easy to use. I set up a server that has just a handful of my friends on it and didn’t struggle at all.
Edit: As with Krodmandoon I could help out if you need it. I don’t know any of the trickier stuff but I don’t remember there being any issues setting something basic up

3 Likes

Yeah discord is the way to do it i would say, giving permissions so that a couple closed beta testers can see a channel is quite easy to do.

Edit: Krodmandoon can help you set it up.

6 Likes

on discord you can make different group in the settings. with a group you can give permissions to see chats oder voice rooms and hide them from the other users. like bladerune9 said. this is maybe what youre searching. If you need somewhere in the future testers i would love to do (like maybe 200 other people here) haha :smiley:

2 Likes

@tiggertoo yeah I think a discord would be the best to set up a system that can help you get more people or an idea on who you would want to test it as for setting up a serever it is pretty easy and there are a few tutorials online that can streamline it to make it fairly easy to set up.

4 Likes

As you’ve noticed by now, discord is the best way to go! Its pretty straight forward so you’ll have it up in no time,

I’m more curious about what you have in mind, the best way is to have a discord only with testers, as this is one of the most populair threads on here and MANY people offering to test, an open discord where there’s a few channels that can only be accessed by testers (which is where the download file would be) doesn’t seem practical,

The discord could get flooded instantly, some might have different names on there making it harder to tell who is who. And the discord would be full of people asking for updates or tester roles, pure chaos probably,

So will you just invite people to test on here through a DM?

2 Likes

If you do a discord and have a few selected testers, unless it’s people you trust completely I’d suggest editing them differently for each individual, whether it’s something simple like a different title screen so if you do get an untrusty it’s easy to remove and ban. I know a lot of people would be itching to test the game and though I know I’d like to, better be someone you trust than people who chipped in the past on patreon

4 Likes

Discord is definitely the way to go. It is easy to make different threads for different conversation pieces, can be fully anonymous, and has multiple different capabilities.

2 Likes

Yeah, if you made krodmandoon a mod/owner on discord they could help sort stuff, like pin functionality? Although if you only invite a single digit number of people you could maybe give them all the power to pin. I guess I was being naïve thinking that an alternate thread wouldn’t get bombarded with unrelated commentary from people without a copy.

Although if only a single digit number of people are invited, testers might not need to pin important (read as already found) bug messages, because the total number of messages wouldn’t be daunting to simply scroll through.

I suppose if the discord is really secure people could exchange script files with their own bugfixes in them and bugtesters could bugtest each others copies of the edited script. Then again maybe it’s not a big worry, if I was sharing a plaintext script file on discord and somehow someone leaked it, it wouldn’t be playable without the 1000s of other files that comprise the game.

The script.rpy file is not a very big file and sharing small files on discord is super easy, easier than on this forum. It’s actually kind of hard to share bugfixes on this forum, or any forum, because in ren’py and in python whitespace matters. So if a bug is an incorrect indentation, and you try to copy fix the fixed code to the forum, you’ll end up with an incorrect indentation quite often for reasons I don’t understand. But if you just send someone a copy of the script file with a single edit fixing the error? No miscommunication about typos. {I had this problem a lot in the fill me up thread, where the syntax of my bugfix suggestions was a nightmare to format properly on a forum.}

2 Likes

I’m currently in a game dev discord. You’ll want a topic for:

• Bug reports
  • General Feedback
  • Save storage (For when people want to load a save with specific flags [Becca y\n, Hannah y\n] or to try and find a bug)
  • General chit-chat (not game related, cause humans like to chat and it’ll flood other topics if there isn’t a place for it)
  • Game Chat (further sorting to keep things uncluttered)
  • Current version (lock this one so only you and/or mod can use it)
  • Announcements (also lock this one)

Feel free to tweak the list, you will know what your needs are as you go through, but this should serve as enough of a general guideline for the Discord. Good luck to all the testers!

3 Likes

Okay, looks like everyone recommends Discord, so that’s the way I’ll probably go. Won’t be anything spectacular. All I want is a private channel where everyone can see what myself and the other testers post.

9 Likes