Tramp 0.15.5 2023-06-15

All, there’s a bug fix version v0.11 in the OP.

• Fixes the day skipping time bug if you go to the bar and then to the diner in the evening (thanks to everyone who helped narrow that one down).
  • Allows the game window to be resized (@Kitsune can you give this a test please?).
  • Changes the way the debug stat menu works, allowing you to open and close it (if enabled), and change the in-line level-of-detail dynamically during play. With inline debug off the debug menu prompts won’t appear, but can be re-enabled by tunring it back on (it was bugging me if no-one else)
  • Adds some small events around the fountain in the park (which also allows the PC to start to diet without one of the NPCs bringing the subject up - one for @knerf999).

It should be save compatible.

If you (or anyone else who is having this problem) let us know which antivirus and/or “web defender” type product you are using and what error messages you are seeing that would help.

That’s not something I’ve any plans for as a romanceable NPC, though she’s likely to get more events and dialogue as things go on.

Thank you! I was shooting for a believable world and characters that had their own motivations and reactions. One thing I wasn’t sure about was the PC’s internal monologue, but no one has even mentioned it.

I have plans for a more substantial update, but it’s going to be going to be some way off (think months rather than weeks).

5 Likes

Yes, it’s resizable now, thank you!

2 Likes

yay!
Love the addition!

1 Like

Spectacular writing! I’ve always enjoyed your storytelling since the early “Changes in the Night” days and this was no exception. You’ve injected so much personality into these characters and their scenes without being bogged down in detail, and it’s a treat to see each new detail unfolding!

Naturally understandable since this is a demo but I’m curious as to what the end goals will be exactly and how to reach them, besides the obvious weight gaining. I say this as there is a big push for dieting and you can indeed attempt to bring the weight down but I wonder to what end, if this isn’t a sideshow distraction before the player gets bored and throws the switch to eating bigly again. I’ll be keen to seeing the various character arcs being fleshed out (a nod to Sofia there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) more.

I was also impressed that with all the text there were hardly any typos! The most egregious one spotted was references to deserts when in the dessert menu but that was about it!

For other bugs and peculiarities, I did find it odd that doesn’t seem much recourse from eating dinner at the bar (replete with seconds) and being stuffed, to then having a further three course dinner at the restaurant as the restaurant scenes appear to disregard the earlier fullness. Also, when just stopping for coffee at the Italian restaurant in the evening, the scene plays as if it’s the morning (Sofia chides you that tiramisu isn’t available yet).

Echoing the rest of the praise on the thread here but this is sterling example of Interactive WG Fiction! Ya dun good, Dingo! :+1:

7 Likes

How do you get Lacy to give you bigger portions again? After a certain point she stopped giving me larger portions even when I tip every time and the prompt to talk to her about her portion sizes no longer appears.

2 Likes

The tip, if I recall correctly, only keeps Lacy from constantly complaining to you about your weight, not increase your portions. She was only giving you extra portions at first because of how skinny the PC was when they first met.

3 Likes

Is there anything different in dialogue in the beginning. If you had a save file with a higher weight.

Edit: Is it possible to add different sentences for repeatable day to add flavor.

1 Like

I love it! The introduction to the game is sick, I really loved the writting, thanks for this game and I hope you continue with this!

5 Likes

Thanks for the support! In case anyone is wondering Changes in the Night is a story on my website. It never got finished as I somehow lost all my written notes for it.

As to end goals, I have a couple of ideas, but they’re not in place yet. I don’t plan on making them focused on reaching a particular weight, but more focused on your relationships with the various NPCs.

A big part of the story is exploring attitudes to weight, the pressures people put on the PC, and the PCs own thoughts about it. The dieting is part of that, moreso if you persue a relationship with Steve. It’s a “slice-of-life” and something people deal with. The PC’s struggle with dieting, her willpower, the tussle with the other NPCs opinions, and the player’s desires is a point of conflict that’s central to the game part of this.

It was also fun to write the “fail” conditions, and the PC’s observations while dieting. Also I think realising just how many months (or years) it might take to shift the weight really helps emphasise the “what have I done to myself?” aspect and is kinda hot in it’s own right.

I have a blind spot with that one. I’ve gone through and changed them all so it will be sorted in a future release!

The restaurant isn’t being very clever about existing fullness as it doesn’t re-evaluate it at the right times. However, the PCs greed, drunkeness, mood and size mean she can eventually pack away a third evening meal.

That’s a bug from re-using the same code for both! It needs to be a little clever.

Like the other NPCs Lacy has an idea of how big she thinks you ought to be. Once you are a “good size” she won’t adjust your order anymore.

No, it’s not nearly that clever! There is a lot of randomness though, and your choices do affect things.

There will be more dialogu and events as I work more on it. It’s set up for more to be added easily. Initially though I’ll be fleshing out the other areas.

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it. It is being continued, just at a low priority compared to Yaffaif…

9 Likes

okay what does she look like i dont remember if she gets described lol

those are fun to do and see

1 Like

Hmmm… seems I may have to start another game…

such a great game i cannot wait for future updates it’s so good.

4 Likes

Great game, can’t wait to see new updates! My only wish is that you could unlock more and better foods in every location when you achieve higher weights. I also tried to go to the fountain to “wish” to get a boost on my weight gain but it’s just for money and dieting which was a lil “awww” moment but not a big deal.

Can you post this into itchio? that way we get auto-updates when one of them is available.

5 Likes

Really enjoyed the game as well, and I second the wish for better food variety in later stages. Would also be great to see a progression in the characters increasing appetite (would a hunger meter work?). Not sure if these suggestions have been mentioned but here goes: option to use metric system, clothing size, more text based on weight progression.

2 Likes

Hey !

There is an increase in your appetite if I understood correctly. It’s just not really explained, but depending on your weight if i remember correctly you have a number of meal you can eat. And when you eat more than this number of meal, I think that some of the food options are not available. Once again, It’s just my memory of it. it also affects some events like when you eat portions of pasta, I think.

5 Likes

The limit should be five meals in a day. Then your options are limited. Unless you know how to play your day right and keep those options for optimal consumption

1 Like

Depending on how you define ‘meal’, on the weekend you can eat a bunch of hot dog meals before dinner to end up with a pretty silly number.

4 Likes

The only bug I encountered was the images not loading, when i fully downloaded, and extracted the needed files.

1 Like

Are romances in this game mutually exclusive? as in does having too much romance score with an npc ever block off progress with another npc? or is it just a matter of higher romance score unlocks more things (and so it’s almost always a good idea to say yes to the points?)

I was about to spoil myself in the code, but then I realized this game is a lot longer and more in depth than I thought, so I won’t spoil myself, but I’m just wondering how mutually exclusive plotlines are.

edit: steve and sofia are clearly romanceable, anyone else?

edit2: nevermind, I played way more of it, and it’s a great game! wow what a hidden gem! I kind of bounced off of yaffaif’s confusing UI and setting, but a ren’py game written in reality? slam dunk for me.

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever gave her a detailed description - I left it open based on any future character art.

Thank you. I haven’t had any time to work on it as I’m busy with Yaffaif and December in general, but it will get an update at some point.

I have some plans for that, but was looking at doing a custom screen for the food menus so didn’t want to have too much to rework.

There’s a random element to the fountain as you might expect, but there will be more events there at some point.

I haven’t looked at itch.io - I probably should! Thanks for the suggestion.

The PC’s hunger is mentioned in the menu prompts. I’d like to experiment with some kind of graphic for some variables, but need to learn more about how RenPy screens work.

That’s possible, it’s all metric units internally of course, just converted for display. I left the presentation in imperial units to help sell the idea that this is taking place somewhere in America, but could switch the top right menu without breaking that.

That’s waiting on the clothes shop, which is just an outline right now.

Not really sure what you think is missing right now. Care to expand?

Yes, your appetite at any moment is dependant on a number of factors, but increases as you progress. At the moment the larger meals are hidden when you couldn’t finish them. I’d like to have them displayed but unavailable but that requires some RenPy screen work.

These next two are related:

There’s no limit on the number of “meals” you can eat, just the volume of food. The game only tracks “meals” for flavour text.

There are only two images beyond the plain background (dusty road and debug menu). This is mentioned in the warnings when you start the game. If you are running with debug on you’ll see the messages reminding me what images I need to work on. With debug off you should see any messages about “missing” images.

At the moment, no, all romance is good and unlocks more. At the moment Steve and Sofia’s ideas about the PC’s ideal weight are conflicting, and can lock out Steve if you are not careful. At some future point I intended there to be some kind of showdown between the two, but it’s not in game yet.

Just those two at the moment. Others have been outlined. One of them was quite dark, and I’m not convinced it sits well with the rest of the game.

Thank you! A fantasy/magic setting isn’t for everyone of course.

On the UI Tramp is from the VN and CYOA stable, with limited choices at each interaction. I think I can get 9 options on one menu without messing with them.

Yaffaif comes from a more complex text adventure and open world background and can offer hundereds of possibilites on each turn. Building a mouse based UI that offers all those options was a challenge - I was fed up with the incomplete solutions in Inform, TADS and Quest where you can only get so far without typing.

4 Likes