Waistlands V1.0.08

Really fun game! The character generated art quality is very good!

I like the concept you’ve built up so far, though I think players would benefit from an option upon starting a new day to jump to the lobby or garden (once it’s unlocked) so that players spend less time clicking and more time exploring! Perhaps the option should become available after completing the first few tasks.

One thing of note was that it took me a bit to figure out how farming works. Once I got the scrap to unlock the first farming plot, I just stumbled upon seeds and thought that I had to just set an ally as a farmer and wait. I thought I was doing the correct thing as each day the game would tell me that my ally was making progress in the seed’s growth, lol. Then, after a few in-game weeks, I thought “Man, farming is really slow” and thought to actually visit the garden and then I saw that there was a ‘plant seeds’ option! I may be a bit silly, but just thought I’d explain my experience!

Thanks for making a cool game!

3 Likes

Good to know! I will give Sam a line to explain how farming works in case people get stuck. I want them to be the go to for if players want to know how anything is supposed to work.

You can actually speed up travel between your room and the lobby with the service elevator upgrade. I have planned one for the garden as well but haven’t added it yet.

4 Likes

Any chance you could just make it twice as fast or something 150% as fast? I feel like that would be less distracting but still convey the same feeling? (It needs to move significantly faster than I can read in order to not be so distracting…)

Really cool concept & execution, I can definitely see how it’s inspired by Big Aspirations.

Looking forward to seeing what else is added in the future and will be following development.

Is it even possible to somehow increase my stats?
I mean charisma and int, i was kinda expecting some levelling up system, maybe there is one but i did not discover it yet?
I also “unlocked” garden by clearing entrance 10x times but task that requires me to unlock garden did not progress, what am i doing wrong?

Larger post after I’ve had some time to think on my current time sunk:

-In the several hours I played, the Comm Room felt useless. Credits are significantly less valuable than Food and while our first comp has a higher Cha that would suit her to said room, she is still better spent on Foraging, IMO.
-Played around in the Debug Menu and noticed the Companion Stats: I assume there is going to be a way of raising them in the future, if I didn’t miss said option already in the game.
-Farming felt Very underwhelming in terms of food output vs foraging myself. Carrots and Wheat just do not give even close to as much ‘food’ and Credits when traded in vs random wild fruit.

Others have already said much of the same praise I have, and I look forward to much more.

1 Like

You can open a Gym, Library, and Rehearsal Studio with scrap to train your three stats. It’s very time-consuming but possible. Str also gradually grows from fighting I think.

1 Like

oh god the typewriter effect, PLEASE make it stop or give an option in game to disable it.

The only feeling it conveys is pain and suffering(as in my pain and suffering of not being able to read, without distraction and at my own speed, the text unless i wait for it to be done) in my case.

3 Likes

I found a neat little exploit with the farming system, which deals with your return in wheat is the same as your total harvest wheat so far, plus the new stuff.

Do not remove this, continue the unending wheat machine, let it fuel the cake that we stuff the bunbun with

10 Likes

I think I remember playtesting this game. Good to see a release out. Congrats!

I love this game!! Looking forward to seeing how you develop it!

I’m feeding Vivian so much cake… the wheat must flow.

Glad to see this game again! Was more added since the playtest?

1 Like

Yeah I added a few extra details. A mountain area and a task 10.

3 Likes

Just for avoiding the possibility of pulling one thread and the whole thing unraveling, I’ve witnessed what must be the same bug in a different context. When you buy food, specifically when you are out of that food in your inventory, you get a specific increment of the food rather than only the amount you actually bought… and the increment goes up by 4 permanently when you buy 5. As you can imagine, getting 20 cakes for the price (and food value) of 1 and being able to resell them breaks the credit economy (and food supply) pretty quickly.

Very odd thing that I have had consistently happen on all of my runs… I’m not sure what triggers the misread and everything SEEMS fine but… Around right after getting the cake from Sam, I’m unable to ​ask about my current tasks when I go down to see him? Also I do NOT have any cake in my dispensary despite him saying I should?

(Screenshots are from a run after getting Vivian and starting Lily’s event.)

I also tried to speedrun some alternative types of dialogue choices just in case. The typewriting animation feature makes that. uhm. difficult. and annoying… but I was determined to figure out what was wrong.

Eventually I found the advice trigger happens almost IMMEDIATELY after Sam gives me the cake-- since I followed him down afterwards and I got ONE of the default errors instead of the two.

I assume a second one gets triggered maybe when trying to get Lily.

this locks me from:

1. getting cake in the dispensary
  2. later on. it makes it so I can’t use farming more than one time EVER
  3. I’m also barred being able to use carrot seeds at all? I could only use wheat that one time.

Kind of sad to be honest! I don’t know what choices I’m making that are ruining this?

I’m stuck with being to fat to retrieve lily from the well

if I remember correctly you need to purchase the garden upgrade at the workshop and clear the leisure area completely before you get the cake at the dispensary

and as for you, just starve yourself for a while, you slim back down if you don’t have any fullness for a couple days

2 Likes

how do i increase my relationships?

Like what I am seeing so far, recruited 1 member so far. Definitely a bunch of options, although encounters in the mountains can be buggy, sometimes when I get the bandit dialogue, I get either a lion or golem of sugar. 1 time said I’d be fighting a lion, ended up fighting a bandit (no big deal, was strong enough to deal with em).

As for the 2nd recruitable person, do I keep spamming mountain exploring? Can’t do the caves without being stuck if I go left or right due to no clickable exit (assuming caves are in development still).

Every day I wake up, a suggestion, instead of “Bitch, you fat WIP” how about “girl, you fat WIP” or a different filler text for the next update?

Heres the cave thing I mentioned (some folks may not save often enough to avoid this)

1 Like

Playing hide and seek with Lily, where does she go? I cant find her anywhere. I saw someone further back mention her being in the well but shes not there either