Yamhead's untitled Stealth Game [Abandoned]

I have now made the basic menus, it required some restructure of some stuff so there might be some bugs with things that used to work. there is now a proper start screen and a level select thing (the only functional level is the one in the top left). it’s basically how I would like it to look in the future except with proper assets

I also updated the test level to have a code locked door and a breakable floor. the locked doors can be opened by NPCs so you can sneak past them. I also changed it so that if you are on the scooter you will raise the alarm if you are seen. it would be to easy to lure a guard to a door you want open otherwise.

I have also updated how alarms being raised works a bit. now after every time the alarm is raised the last seen time is raised by .5 seconds (it makes the guards seem to be smarter when looking for you). the start amount of guards have been lowered to 2 per floor.

now to make a small level so I can try to balance everything

links are updated

2 Likes

You forgot to put the .pck file in the zip

whoops, try it now
aaa

Gosh this game is starting to come together very nicely ^^. I was wondering if you were still considering putting in the option to play as a female character for this as well.

yes I will just not right now. I want to prioritize the gameplay first

I understand, making a 3D stealth game like this will indeed take a good amount of effort to make sure it comes out right. Now while im here i might as well point out some bugs that i have come across when i was playing portions of the game. In the Level Select Screen i ended up falling through the floor on accident when i ran to far up and to the left past the first level. The ground looked to be solid but somehow that was not the case. And once i fell down there i wasnt able to get back up to any of the levels to fix it and had to close out of the game to do so. Also i dont know if there is a way to get back to the main menu or not from the level select but i think that would be an important thing to add eventually if you have not considered that yet.

I hope that some of this was helpful and i cant wait to see where this game will go in the future ^^.

Unfortunate as it may be, I’m unable to play some of the latest updates due to a memory issue on my end of things. Though, whether or not I can play it, I’ll be cheering you on for this project’s success!

just a small bit of progress this week. Blender 2.8 came out and with it a bunch of changes that means I needed to redo my key bindings and settings to get a good workflow again (which is surprisingly frustrating). so most of the week was spent procrastinating instead. I did finish the model for one level though, so this week I don’t have any excuses.

The game just suddenly crashes whenever I try to interact with something. Can you fix this?

when does it crash? is it when you interact with a specific thing?

I don’t know.

The only thing I remember from last time I played the latest version is when I interacted with the food shelves. I’m pretty sure I didn’t use developer keys.

did it happen when you tried to enter the minigame or during it?

When entering the minigame, yeah.

Hey @Yamhead, i am really liking the potential that this game is having in terms of attempting to create a 3d game where you can see a more detailed expansion happen before your eyes. I am an aspiring 3d artist and animator/rigger and i wanted to ask what program and method you are utilizing to make the model grow in size. I know of a few methods already but i would like to get your input on what method you use and see if i can learn anything from how you might approach the problem.

1 Like

I’m gonna say before anything else that this is the first time I’ve made a model that gets fatter.
so keep that in mind

I use Blender and I’m using shape keys to make the model grow. I make the shape keys by sculpting 2 models and snapping the mesh to them. when the model gets a certain size I replace it with another one. that is because there is so much typology in a really small area (and the typology around some parts get strange)
typology
I found that when a model has doubled in size it’s about time to replace the model.

when modeling characters that are so fat their thighs touch a lot it would probably be better to have the model stands with its legs a bit apart. I was thinking that I should have done that.

if you are planning to make blob characters I would recommend making the model in parts. I made the belly separate from the chest and butt, I also split the arm in 3 parts. it’s way less confusing what part is what if you do that and if you are sculpting you don’t accidentally sculpt things you weren’t meant to (and you don’t have to mask stuff as often). it also make weight painting easier.

7 Likes

So when first making the model, what was your first priority? Did you make a simple model that had a low poly count that had the general loops you wanted then subdivide it to make it more detailed later? Or did you make the parts of the model like you said, such as the belly and parts of the arms as separate objects but still made them simple enough to subdivide later to sculpt it into the shape that you wanted?

when I make a model I first sculpt it and then retopologize it (here is a timelapse video of someone doing that)
I find traditional modeling isn’t that well suited for making organic things (especially if they are very fat).

my first priority was making it look good. keeping the polycount low and such is pretty easy if you do the sculpt retopology method. I made the fatter models in more parts because it was easier to know what was what, but in the final model I connected it more.

now the first real level is done. it will be one of the first levels so it’s pretty simple and short. I did some balancing so the level is not a mess like the test level. stuff might change when the next level is done. here is the blueprints of how it looks now.

I didn’t find the bug @NoNoYes brought up. I did find that guards that was alerted when stealing or on the scooter broke when you ran away if you weren’t stealing or on the scooter when they lost track of you so there is that.

I also made the stun meter deplete in time with the stun time.

links are updated

2 Likes

I think i found the bug that @NoNoYes was possibly talking about. I dont know if this is the one they found but sometimes the game crashes on me after i have exited out of a food storage shelf minigame, and then proceed to enter into the same shelf again. This seems to only happen when there is still food left inside the shelf but it doesnt happen all the time.

Also i noticed that the first test stage that you had made does not have any doors or food items on the second floor anymore but the prompt still shows up as if they were there. And when trying to interact with those, nothing happens.

hmm I have to wonder. could we the player get tools (both in general and maybe as a unlock or upgrade sytem) that we can use to solve in game problems (think getting through a too small door or stun a guard not a bug or bad design thing)