A Piece of Cake / C'est de la tarte (le français) English Translation [RenPy]

A pre-patched English/Windows version of 0.17b (with some bug fixes over 0.17) is now available on the site’s itch, linked in the OP.

5 Likes

Thank you for the quick and speedy work!

2 Likes

The change log for version 0.17 mentions fixing a bug that let you skip paying for the construction of a temple… how do you build a temple?

1 Like

How do I gain body fat? I’ve reached the stage after “well balanced” but can’t seem to get beyond that.

I’m also curious about how exactly the weight gain/loss system works. Will I lose weight if I exceed the 3/4 filled rule too often? Does it matter what foods I eat so long as I stay 3/4 full? And what foods effect what sort of gain?

It’s one of the options down the Queen path.

The 3/4 mark is “maintaining weight” aproximately. You need to go beyond a full bar to train your gut to eat more, but not more than 2x. Judging that is part of the game. Some foods have small extra benefits to body parts. In general milk - boobs, grains - butt, fatty - belly (no food explicitly changes bodyfat). There are more specific examples found as notes in game. Don’t go overboard on the vaious meds: they break the in game maths. This game is definitely a slow burn - rush and you’ll get a game over.

1 Like

In the current release (0.17b) the following will give you body fat:

• Choosing Easy or Normal difficulty
  • Answering “Playing sports” or “Sleeping” to “What do you spend your free time doing …?” (“Playing sports” will start you with negative body fat though)
  • Answering “Your thighs” or “Her charm” to “What trait did you mainly inherit from your mother?”
  • Answering “Your cheeks”, “A little bit of everything”, or “Nothing, you stayed slim” to “When you look at yourself in the mirror…” (“stayed slim” starts you at negative body fat)
  • Answering “Clean your plate…” to “Your parents have always encouraged you to…”
3 Likes

There are two changed lines of text in the v0.17b english version on itch that haven’t been patched. So here’s a v0.17b version of the patcher. It is safe to run on either the English (to fix those two lines) or French version (to fix it all) of 0.17b.

Usual caveats apply:

Don’t have your local* e set to a Japanese one.

• Install Java (tested with Java 8 - should work with later versions)
  • Get v0.17b from itch
  • Make sure it works in French
  • Make any code edits before patching (or edit xxx-rpy.copy and re-patch) - see below
  • Unpack this patcher and follow the ReadMe to change it to English
  • Start a new game - or continue if you were playing 0.17b English

patch-poc-v0.17b.zip (330.9 KB)

All the bugs/issues mentioned in the previous patcher notes have been fixed in 0.17b.

4 Likes

Would you be willing/able to do an all-in-one patcher with the specific code modifications you suggested rolled in?

1 Like

There’s no need: 0.17b has the bug-fix patches already (except the debug one - but that’s just a commented out section).

The patcher was specifically designed only to replace string constants in the game - out of respect for the original material, and because posting a translated version would run afoul of the forum’s “post your own work” rule. Getting it to change code would require a re-write.

Sorry, I’m slightly confused, if the patcher doesn’t make any of the recommended code changes from a few posts up, uh, what does it do again? If I have 0.17b do I need the patcher? Sorry I sort of forget.

The french developer credits you in his release of the english version, so I assume he’s using your patch? which means we don’t have to? if we have 0.17b?

1 Like

The patcher doesn’t change the code of the game, only the text, so those bug fixes I posted with 0.17 were my recommendations to do by hand. I play through each time to make sure the translation makes sense, and tend to catch things while doing that.

The developer used the 0.17 version of my patcher from here to create the english-pc-0.17 version.

They then included my suggested bug fixes to create 0.17b French pc/mac and English 0.17b pc version. However they’d also changed two lines of the French text (one to correct language usage, one to add and additional word). Since these two lines were different the patcher didn’t recognise them and left them in French.

I built the English-mac-017b version (it’s a bit of a kludge as the mac os won’t allow the patcher to change the contents of an “app”) which is when I spotted these two text changes, and updated the patcher to 0.17b as well to translate those two lines.

So:

• If you have english-mac-0.17b version it is fully translated and has the bug fixes in
  • If you have english-pc-0.17b version it has the bug fixes in it, but may have two untranslated lines of French text. Re-appyling the 0.17b version of the patcher will correct those two lines.
2 Likes

How do you make the Jar file run? I have the latest version of Java installed and have my system locale set to english. I cannot seem to make the file run as you mention in the read me. Is there more than just java that you need?

1 Like

If it doesn’t run from your file explorer try java -jar RenTx.jar at a command prompt in the directory you unpacked. That may aslo give some clues if the GUI doesn’t start. It’s been tested with Java 8 (the “latest” public version from java.com), and not on later open source or licensed versions.

1 Like

That got it working. Thank you. Wonder why its so finicky lol

Java is… quirky at times. I’ve done some development with it and the primary focus on portability between environments can cause issues on execution.

is 0.17 mostly fixing flaws in 0.16 or is there some new content? and if so can anyone please tease what that new content is? (a playthrough takes a long long time so if not much is new I might skip playing 0.17…)

1 Like

The itch io page for the game has a development log right under the downloads.

how do you go about building a temple?

1 Like

never mind figured it out

Well that’s eerie, on the itchio page they said they lost their discord account, I wonder how that happened.