A Piece of Cake / C'est de la tarte (le français) English Translation [RenPy]

If you think you’ve found a bug and you want it fixed you need to report it on the developer’s Discord, not here. Mentioning it here achieves nothing.

The patcher is deliberately designed not to touch the logic of the original game, only the text that appears on screen.

losing weight or reducing pollution will also restore life expectancy

Is there any purpose to changing the demographics of your city? Other than the stats changing on the statistical demographics breakdown? Does it like change the events you can unlock while walking/jogging/etc? Or is that mostly a hook for future content that hasn’t been written yet?

1 Like

Oh, btw, 0.16b english is official out on itch, anyone know if it fixes any bugs that aren’t fixed in 0.16 (not b?)

edit: it looks like official 0.16b is compatible with this forums 0.16 translation… but the already read dialogue or not seems to be broken/reset despite the saves working fine otherwise, oh well. (I like to skip text I’ve already read, or at least skim it in ren’py).

edit2: there’s now a warning that time left with bethie can instantly drop to 0 depending on events, what event can cause that? I’ve never seen the event end unless you say goodbye or do 5 things?

The official english version is just a pre-patched version using the patcher from here. Functionally there’s no difference between a 0.16b you’ve patched yourself and the pre-patched one. Some, but not, all of the bugs from 0.16 are fixed in 0.16b. The pollution issue and Maude’s repeating event are not fixed (see the games discord) - waiting on 0.17.

I’m assuming that “bethie” is the name you’ve chosen for your friend? That message has been there from the first translated version. Perhaps you aren’t seeing it because of dialog skip? If I remember, there’s a lower threshold for friendship and if it drops below it she leaves.

3 Likes

Hi, long-time lurker here. This is one of my favorite games on this forum, but the pollution bug was wrecking it for me a bit. I know Dingotush said not to report bugs here, with good reason. I don’t have a discord account though, and don’t really want to start one just for this. Maybe someone could please pass this over to Discord for me, then you can delete this poorly-placed post if you want.
I poked around in the code. I don’t have a great grasp of it; I’m not familiar with the language (programming or linguistic). Still, I think I found the problem. Looks like you’re really expected to write multiple pro-environment articles at the University; there’s no other realistic way to stop pollution from steadily rising. The catch is, I think there’s a coding error there. The script file has "if poptt >= lecteurss: " as the trigger for a successful environmental article. Tracing those two variables, it looks like your article is more likely to succeed and catch on…if you are LESS famous and LESS intelligent, relative to your town’s population. I think they meant to do "if poptt <= lecteurss: " You can be the queen and pass all the environmental measures you want, but by then you’re too famous and it’s too late to stop the pollution from rising.

1 Like

The bug/fix I saw reported (not by the dev) was in game/script3.rpy, line 2243, replace
$ pollutionChange(1-prodpoll)
with
$ pollutionChange(prodpoll)

That’s in the year end code. prodpoll is some value that starts at 1 and is reduced by things you do to reduce pollution. But with the original line the more you do to reduce pollution the worse it gets.

I think your catch

is a problem too: lecturess is your fame as a professor, and poptt is the number of people in the town. It makes sense that the more famous your are the more influential your writing should be! Except of course the other bug makes being successful worse for the environment…

Ill pass it on.

Thanks, Dingotush. I was about to come back and sheepishly report that my fix didn’t work, but I guess it was just one piece of a larger set of issues.

Does anyone know at what BMI the descriptions and events in the game stop changing for the townspeople and your daughter? The game is great, but very time consuming to fully explore!

2 Likes

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? I wanted to finally explore the daughter and queen elements of the game (like seeing the effects a decade later) But despite being incredibly healthy and under 27 my character is getting hypertension on one specific day no matter what I do. I exercise daily and have never been sick.

1 Like

Buy a lot of stomach enlargement or weight loss pills. Calories consumed don’t reset, so it just get’s added on top. After enough time it get’s too high, causing you to die due to calories consumed being bigger than stomach volume. (That also increases your weight exponentially)

5 Likes

This is pretty much right. The hypertension ending happens when your fat (weight) is more than five times your max hunger (ie. eating capacity). Losing some of the weight (shame) is probably the best option for a long running game as there seems to be some kind of exponential run-away if you keep increasing stomach capacity. I think it’s due to the way increasing capacity raises the fat stat faster, which means you need to keep boosting capacity. I get the feeling there’s a sweet spot around 600 or so where the descriptions max out, and if you reduce capacity somewhat then you can remain fairly stable with the occasional diet pill.

4 Likes

It’s quite high, goes all the way up to 35 or so iirc. You can dig through the events in the code, they’re all in plaintext, if you’re interested.

1 Like

what’s the best place to follow the french dev of this game? they don’t seem to post on itch very often, do they have other socials they post about their progress on? do they have a patreon or something? if they do I haven’t found it yet.

The game’s Discord would be the best place. However, they are generally just very busy with work and so updates are just slow.

1 Like

I’m unwell and have 4 actions to take. My Health is Critical but becomes “Bad” after the day’s activities. I do nothing but exercise and don’t eat too little or too much. I still die. I honestly hate how health conscious you have to be in this game. I’m playing on normal which is too damn hard I guess. I do have previous saves.

3 Likes

This game is very specific in how you play, and the ingame tutorials suck compared to how the game’s coded.

To explain a few things about “exercise”:
-Walking around town only restores mental health; there is a small chance you’ll be chased by a dog, which gives you physical exercise
-Jogging around town gives you physical exercise as well as mental health, but will burn ~5 points of fat each time that scales with body fat. In exchange, it will grow your butt (in lean mass) until you reach “large”.
-Workout is a more extreme version of above, with no lean mass gains.
-Swimming is the best bang-for-buck exercise, where you can choose laps (3 physical health each) or free swim (1 physical and mental point)
-How you travel also counts. Walking will give you exercise but lose weight, bus is the inverse. Biking is a happy middle ground.
-Mental health is tied to physical health. If you’re above average, you gain physical health the happier you are; below average, your health starts tanking.
-Your home also affects your daily health. Normal starts by subtracting one mental point each day in the studio. Hard mode, the shack, also drains physical points.
-BMI above (and below) 22 subtracts physical health, never adds.

Other beginner tips:
-Fruit juice, fruit salad, and regular salad only heal sickness. They have no additional benefits when healthy.
-Certain foods affect how you gain. Foods that only give fat will distribute everywhere across the body, but can be lost by exercise. The three B’s also have their own stats different from fat.
-There are two levels of stuffed: where the bar is full but the price of overstuffing is still tracked, and when you’re kicked out of the kitchen but can still see negative value on the ingame computer. If you sleep with overstuffed, you become “unwell” where the only cure is rest.
-You can still eat outside the house when overstuffed, with no health penalty
-To reduce satiety stat, exercise reduces it faster than waiting. If you’ve got no time to exercise, a hunger pill should get you to normal before bed.
-The rewind feature is your best friend and keeps RNG values, but stops after a certain point. Saving is more effective for daily progress.
-Certain jobs give more stress than others, especially if they scale by intelligence.

I have further insight into how the game works, but the post for that will likely be spoilered for enjoyment purposes.

12 Likes

it also depends on what your living in as well so tent or crappy apartment will also lower your health

1 Like

IMO play on easy, and expect pollution to eventually ruin your game later on as it’s a bit badly tuned atm.

3 Likes

Quick question, which foods are best for gaining weight in certain areas of the body? I only know that yogurt and milk are good for growth in breasts (obviously)

1 Like