A Weight Gain Chatbot, Brainstorming and Interest Check

So I’ve thinking about making a weight gain chatbot in RiveScript and was thinking I’d do an interest check as well as bounce a few ideas around. For any of you who are unfamiliar with chatbots, I’d encourage you to check out Mitsuku at http://mitsuku.com, as I’d say she represents just about the state of the art.

My first thought is that it could be a game where you take the role of a friend of the main character, and you can use your influence to lead her to gain weight or not. A simple justification for this would be something like being an accountability partner for a college girl who’s recently gained the freshman 15 and wants someone to help her with her diet and exercise routine. This would involve global variables to influence and story progression depending on the player’s actions.

Another route to go would be some sort of sci-fi setting where robots are somehow capable of weight gain. That is definitely the biggest stumbling block to that route but it would come with the advantage of justifying the limited speech and general weirdness that is inherent to chatbots. I suppose it could be justified by having some sort of cyborgs or other types of human-robot hybrids.

Still another route would be I could focus on making it a snapshot instead of a long-form game, where the whole thing is meant to simulate a single conversation, say your best friend texts you asking for help after the button pops off her favorite pair of pants. This would allow for a much more static back and forth interaction which would somewhat justify the question and answer nature of basic chatbots.

A further option is I could try to make a “learning” bot that develops and changes in response to player interactions. While that would be really cool there are a few problems to consider, mainly the fact that not everyone will want the same things out of a chatbot and the content would likely quickly become stylistically incoherent. I could limit it so it can have multiple sessions and only remember what happened in previous conversations with a given player, but that misses out on the opportunity to have it benefit from many people’s input.

These ideas are far from mutually exclusive of course, I could imagine a game where a newly-chubby android gains the freshman 15 and calls up her best friend for support, while learning and benefiting from user interactions. I guess I’m curious as to general feelings on these ideas and I’d love to hear any other thoughts that you all have.

i think that’s a great idea!

Disagree with you about Mitsuku being state of the art. More like her creator obsessively writes dialog for every possible thing someone could potentially say to her. AIML has kind of been superseded by things like PullString and ChatScript. RiveScript could work but you have to be on top of suggesting things for the player to say (subconsciously or otherwise) because a narrowly focused chatbot like for a game is going to be easy to break. Humani: Jessie?s Story is a chatbot game sort of similar to your ideas, so maybe play it and see if there are any good things about it you can steal.

Good luck!

[quote=“PeachClamNine, post:3, topic:1201”]Disagree with you about Mitsuku being state of the art. More like her creator obsessively writes dialog for every possible thing someone could potentially say to her. AIML has kind of been superseded by things like PullString and ChatScript. RiveScript could work but you have to be on top of suggesting things for the player to say (subconsciously or otherwise) because a narrowly focused chatbot like for a game is going to be easy to break. Humani: Jessie?s Story is a chatbot game sort of similar to your ideas, so maybe play it and see if there are any good things about it you can steal.

Good luck![/quote]

Yeah, you’re right that AIML is very limited, my praise of Mitsuku was mostly based on the experience not so much the tech. I think RiveScript hits the right balance between AIML and ChatScript in complexity which since using the python implementation I can add custom functions where needed. I hadn’t heard of Humani before and I’ll be sure to check it out!

[quote=“PeachClamNine, post:3, topic:1201”]Disagree with you about Mitsuku being state of the art. More like her creator obsessively writes dialog for every possible thing someone could potentially say to her. AIML has kind of been superseded by things like PullString and ChatScript. RiveScript could work but you have to be on top of suggesting things for the player to say (subconsciously or otherwise) because a narrowly focused chatbot like for a game is going to be easy to break. Humani: Jessie?s Story is a chatbot game sort of similar to your ideas, so maybe play it and see if there are any good things about it you can steal.

Good luck![/quote]

well i know fuck all about AI robots but im pretty sure its built to collect data from what people say and write its own algorithms (i dont think i spelt that right) and stores that data for use