About Gaining Perspective

No problem, Ive always liked the game

Hey, no problem with the honest review. The game has a grim premise, and is designed to go in a direction that many may find disconcerting. I was fascinated by some of the eventualities of ultra-extreme obesity, this was a pet project that came of some of those concepts. I fully respect that you chose not to go further with it.

I’m not sure if I’ll be tackling another “interactive” story or game any time soon. I’ll probably want to learn a new programming platform before that happens.

for some reason the links don’t work?

Should be working now. Had some old-style forum URLs that needed tweaking.

Just got the worst ending on my first playthrough (had to cheat to live until the end though). Wow that was insane! Great game!

lol thanks. Not often you get ‘worst’, ‘insane’ and ‘great’ in the same review. XD
Hope you find the other endings. (Let me know if you get stuck). That ‘bad’ end really is supposed to hint that something… anything must be better. XD

I’m going to sound rather weird but did you create a scenario where the protag actually went to their 31st birthday party and wasn’t judged for the weight (where it causes an ending) and the game continues after that point?

The reason being is that I remember I did go to a birthday party and read I walked home with some cake in my hand, maybe I am mistaking it for something else.

Also is it possible to reach the 33rd birthday as well, as I did managed (barely though) reach the 32nd birthday, though I did pig out greatly in the first half of the story which made it rather difficult.

I believe I have it set up so that if the protag is more than 500lbs, then goes ahead with the party (or cannot afford to have Paul make excuses to cancel it), then it is always a game-ending event.

There are some slight variations in the text if you’ve managed to stay significantly lighter. As for additional birthdays beyond the 31st, I did add a trigger for more birthdays, but didn’t test it extensively. My guess is that it could be nearly impossible to “safely” host the party beyond the first year.

There’s also the issue where Twine bogs down (and history/saves get flaky) if the game runs that many turns.

I got ‘forced rehabilitation’ ending from my first playthrough. Later I started over and managed to avoid forced rehabilitation event but I hadn’t had the nerve to finish playing through the part that came afterwards because the stuff that was described seemed scary & unnerving. A very unique game, 8 out of 10

I can’t seem to access the game anymore, whenever I try, it says site can’t be reached, is this just something on my end or is the game totally inaccessible now?

Hmm. The server seems to be working normally. I’m not going to claim there couldn’t be hiccups since it’s hosted behind a residential ISP, but I’d appreciate reports if folks are noticing a continued outage.

Well done, excellent game! I like how you wrote this game

Thanks for giving it a go! Appreciate the feedback. :slight_smile:

Really great game, any chance to get an endings list for people who don’t mind spoilers?

The three core endings:

1) Reach final weight without enlisting help of Donna. The hint on how to get her on board appears in the Quick Start Guide. This ending is the most brutal and unsatisfying, and lacks some back story elements.
2) Get Donna’s help, but say “no” during the “Guinness Records” event. Still very bitter-sweet.
3) As above, but answer “yes” during the same event. The closest you get to a happy ending. ^_^;

2 Likes

super late to the topic but do you know of any way how to hack my saves?? i really love this game and i wanna see all its secrets

I’m not aware of an easy way to do this, and it’s not really needed anyway. :slight_smile:
The three main endings are described above. And the “cheats” menu lets you get to the main branches fairly quickly.
If you’d like to guarantee you’ve seen all the possible dialog and story passages, I’d suggest using your browsers “view page source” option while playing. (Or better yet, “save as” and open in a text editor that has word-wrapping. This also has the benefit of keeping a copy of the game locally in case the server goes down.) The formatting won’t necessarily be easy to follow, but all the possible text and message blocks will be buried in there.

2 Likes

Hi, I have a question about the secret, since I cannot for the life of me make it happen for me.
Spoiler for the secret part ahead.

Am I supposed to buy the cookies 3 AND ONLY 3 times and ONLY within the specified time frame?
I am asking because I cannot seem to be able to make the “big spender down there” event appear at all.
What I am getting is this orange “another lifetime” text, which is, I suppose, a warning that this best ending will not fire.

I would be very grateful for any answer!

You’re correct that seeing the ‘another lifetime’ text signals that the window of opportunity to invite Donna inside has passed, and you’re committed the ‘worst’ ending.

The way it should work is:

• Between immobility and 1500lbs, buy cookies three separate times
  • When taking delivery of the first and second orders, ask Donna leave them at the door
  • When taking the third (or higher) delivery, she should ask about her “big spender down there”. That’s when you invite her inside.

Some things to keep in mind:

• While the game is heavily incentivized to throw cookie-ordering opportunities at you during this period, the player could still get too heavy before the criteria is met. Especially if they pass up any opportunities to place new cookie orders.
  • If you invite Donna inside before the third delivery, the counter resets, and three more deliveries would be required. This will quite likely force a new attempt.
  • The event can be satisfied on deliveries beyond the third, if you haven’t already gotten too heavy.
1 Like

Sorry for a late reply and thank you for your comprehensive answer! <3
I think I managed to achieve most of the endings by now.
Thank you for creating this game! It was quite a unique experience and I am happy to have happened upon it here! ^u^

2 Likes